The Use of 5W Motorcycle Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which shows that at 0C, a 5w-30 was significantly heavier than even an SAE 15 lubricant)))))))))))))))))))

yes I see that and your chart only goes to 15 weight, but if you look at it in a graduated scale, I believe a 5w30 would be very close to a 25 weight at 0 celcious. or atleast somewhere close in that range.

I do agree the confusing part, is with differnt temperatures, and how a particular viscosity, behaves cst wise at that temperature , as far as a comparable.

If this does not make sense, then what single grade weight does a 5w30 behave like at o celius, cst wise?

Last edited:
Please stop using "weight" at different temperatures...

it's easy...

Oil X has a VISCOSITY of y, at Z temperature, which is better than oil A, which has viscosity B at the same temperature.

Using "same as grade z" at a different temperature is not science, oil related discussion or anything remotely comprehensible.

A straight 30 is a straight 30 at every temperature it is tested at and has a different viscosity at every one of those temperatures...

Thank you, Shannow.

01.gif

a straight 30 weight is going to be much heavier than a 5w30 multiweight at freezing. But some want to know how that 5w30 is (ACTAULLY) going to be in comparison at freezing with what weight.

Some dont seem to like that, but some do.

But your right behavior is going to vary with temperature, especially with multi weights.

Ofcourse I should have also said the straight weights, are going to vary even more so with temp extremes. Atleast thats been my experince with straight 30 weights, they thin out alot more when hot than the multi 3o weights. I drained some straight 30 weights out of my motorcycle that looked like water it came out so thin(scared the [censored] out of me). Never seen a multiweight do that.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Please stop using "weight" at different temperatures...

it's easy...

Oil X has a VISCOSITY of y, at Z temperature, which is better than oil A, which has viscosity B at the same temperature.

Using "same as grade z" at a different temperature is not science, oil related discussion or anything remotely comprehensible.

A straight 30 is a straight 30 at every temperature it is tested at and has a different viscosity at every one of those temperatures...

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back