The US Can't Make Enough Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key word WORLD demand.

I suspect Russia supplied some completed products and with their production off limits to many, other have to pick up the slack. But I'm just in the first paragraph, so I could be wrong :)

I'm retired . Good excuse to stay close to home .
I'm retired-good excuse to travel. I have two-14 day trailer trips planned-first one leaving next week. You can either pay the price for gas-or stay home. To each his own.

BTW-getting reservations in RV parks was a real PITA. Many are not staying home.

I think that's a garbage article, Texas alone has enough oil reserves to supply the world's needs for at least a decade but many companies don't want to invest in tapping into those resources because of potential regulations that may come which disrupt their ability to actually utilize said resources.

Russia is convenient to blame but frankly what they actually sold to the US is miniscule in the grand scheme of things and is of no consequence as far as raising energy costs are concerned in North America.

I think people need to start wrapping their mind around the fact that the United States has a superabundance of petroleum resources and this country could very easily be energy independent. The reality is that resources tapped from the United States get exported and sold for huge profit while much of what gets used in the domestic market is imported because it is less expensive to buy than the American based resources are to sell. What we use we buy for cheap elsewhere and what we have we sell for a healthy profit elsewhere.

Just heard in the news $6 a gallon gas will be the norm in all states later this summer.

In an somewhat related note, today I was carefully looking for vehicles with tires that appear underinflated.
To my surprise, not a single vehicle had tires that "looked" underinflated.
If anything, a few seemed to be overinflated.

I'm retired-good excuse to travel. I have two-14 day trailer trips planned-first one leaving next week. You can either pay the price for gas-or stay home. To each his own.

BTW-getting reservations in RV parks was a real PITA. Many are not staying home.
That's my dad's position on it. He took a two week trip around Oregon. He calculated his fuel costs at over $1000 for the trip. Had issues with campgrounds being full too.

He's like "I don't know how long I have left, so I'm not staying home because of fuel prices." I agree with him.

... Texas alone has enough oil reserves to supply the world's needs for at least a decade but many companies don't want to invest in tapping into those resources because of potential regulations that may come which disrupt their ability to actually utilize said resources.
I think people need to start wrapping their mind around the fact that the United States has a superabundance of petroleum resources and this country could very easily be energy independent. ...
There's an important point here about unintended impacts of environmental regulations in the larger picture.

Many of these regulations that make it more expensive to extract and refine our own oil here in the USA, don't exist or are weaker in other countries. If as a result of these regulations, oil extraction and refining moves from the USA to those other countries, then the regulations have been counter-productive, by shifting oil development to places where it has greater environmental impact.

If this happens, it's a lose-lose scenario. The USA loses the economic benefits of a valuable resource, without any environmental benefit, but actually increasing environmental impact globally (even it if does reduce it here in the USA locally).

That's my dad's position on it. He took a two week trip around Oregon. He calculated his fuel costs at over $1000 for the trip. Had issues with campgrounds being full too.

He's like "I don't know how long I have left, so I'm not staying home because of fuel prices." I agree with him.
Last summer we took a trip through Northern Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Beautiful parts of the country!

It's one thing to be 'retired' and spending exorbitant amounts on fuel for leisure purposes versus those who commute to work and have seen the cost doubled since January 2021. Many of those people were barely making ends meet to begin with.

I read this article this morning about the refinery capacity shortage in the US. It seems like high fuel prices might trend long term.

Total BS article. We will pay more as long as the gov continues to cancel leases and permits. Has zero to do with Russia.

Go smaller and slow down . Less consumption . Had vehicles passing on the interstate at 75+ m.p.h.. I drive around average of 63 . Did catch up to vehicle that flew by waiting at a red light . Don't idle parked car when on cell and A.C. / heat on . Turn off vehicle and roll down window(s) if temperature permits . See so much of this . Have been getting complaints about gas prices and who's to blame while getting gas for our small cars .

Last edited:

Different strokes ...Enjoy your trip and be safe .

Reactions: CKN
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back