The Truth About The F-14 And Goose's Death

I do know him. Ward “Mooch” Carroll. Retired CDR, USN.

We’ve taught and flown together. Drank booze on the boat together (totally illegal and punishable under the UCMJ, but we’re both retired, so I don’t think it matters anymore).

Mooch does a good job explaining technical matters, so, while I’ve not seen this video, I would expect that he got it right.

Astro has interesting things to say about him and his public persona. Not about his qualifications though.
Well, I’m glad you thought it was interesting, and not just blatantly critical, though, I am critical.

I like Mooch, but I find the whole monetization from just talking about his experience to be distasteful.

”Bio” Baranek is similar - all he does is talk about the things he once did. Books, talk shows, YouTube.

What about doing something worthwhile now?

Instead of trying to make money from fans of what you once did.

Well, I’m glad you thought it was interesting, and not just blatantly critical, though, I am critical.

I like Mooch, but I find the whole monetization from just talking about his experience to be distasteful.

”Bio” Baranek is similar - all he does is talk about the things he once did. Books, talk shows, YouTube.

I use "interesting" as a catchall euphemism for criticism.

Totally agree with you but I also totally get it. Honestly they may subconsciously feel like they "peaked" in their lives as a fighter pilot and some guys are not going to get past that, they'll want to hang on. While I don't know any pilots I've seen it many times in police officers and firefighters. There are those that it's "what they do" and there are those make it "who they are". The "who they are" have a tougher time moving into retirement IMO.

Totally agree with you but I also totally get it. Honestly they may subconsciously feel like they "peaked" in their lives as a fighter pilot and some guys are not going to get past that, they'll want to hang on. While I don't know any pilots I've seen it many times in police officers and firefighters. There are those that it's "what they do" and there are those make it "who they are". The "who they are" have a tougher time moving into retirement IMO.

His YouTube presence is just a side hustle. It looks like he's had a variety of day jobs since he left the Navy. All seem to be military-related.

From what I gather, splicing video together and making a quality production is work, takes time, effort and even some amount of investment. If he does this in spare time and it turns a profit, is it bad? I’ve found that my hobbies tend to cost me money, not make it.

Edit: on second thought, just because it makes money doesn't make it legit (certainly many things aren't legal that are lucrative).

I do wonder if this youtube job is a side hustle that works to advertise his other efforts. Not just another iron in the fire, but perhaps something that contributes to other efforts.

Last edited:
From what I gather, splicing video together and making a quality production is work, takes time, effort and even some amount of investment. If he does this in spare time and it turns a profit, is it bad? I’ve found that my hobbies tend to cost me money, not make it.

Edit: on second thought, just because it makes money doesn't make it legit (certainly many things aren't legal that are lucrative).

I do wonder if this youtube job is a side hustle that works to advertise his other efforts. Not just another iron in the fire, but perhaps something that contributes to other efforts.

I don't know how much is monetized via YouTube. I heard that the biggest moneymakers on YouTube have include makers of toy unboxing videos. There are also a lot more ads now. It used to be maybe an ad at the beginning, but now it's like a commercial break every 5-10 minutes, which gets annoying.

I believe the way to monetize is to set up selling stuff like T-shirts and mugs, which are then made on demand.

800.jpg

Different tastes for everyone.

If there wasn't a demand for the content, it couldn't be monetized.

There's a whole host of stuff out there that I shake my head at the idea that folks are watching.

Sometimes, it's even in my home when oilBabe is watching almost anything on the Bravo network, LOL

I don't know how much is monetized via YouTube. I heard that the biggest moneymakers on YouTube have include makers of toy unboxing videos. There are also a lot more ads now. It used to be maybe an ad at the beginning, but now it's like a commercial break every 5-10 minutes, which gets annoying.

I believe the way to monetize is to set up selling stuff like T-shirts and mugs, which are then made on demand.

800.jpg
Yes, my coworker (whos going into the biz) said he gets checks from people clicking on the links he puts up to products. Just another advertising venue, albeit one that the content maker gets the profit from, instead of an advertising agency.

Back