The truth about oil and oil companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone I'm new too this forum stuff but starting to get a hang just thought is share my experience with y'all and see what the group thinks

So I have a 2001 Subaru Forster 209,000 miles one her and she runs great
My father a mechanic for 30 years and a master mechanic has taught me a lot but I'm realizing things have changed
I make ok money but not the best so I'm always looking to save here and there
So I did some research and got the idea to begin extended oil changes (and no I don't abbreviate and thing and don't shop at Walmart) sry two pet peeves of mind over found of some of the members
In the process found amsoil

Now I've always been a conspiracy kind of guy and never trust what's put infront of me
Since I've been currently using mobil 1 and liking it I thought just like any other big company they must have been fooling me once I found out about amsoil
Now to those who are willing to do 25k oil changes with amsoil that's ur business but for me I feel much safer using the xl line which does 10k

So since I've been the person to always change my oil at 3k miles which ment for me about 8-10 oil changes a years especially at 35 a pop from auto zone maybe this extended oil drain stuff makes some money sense

So after calling amsoil and get the entire speech plus spending hours on the site reading and also researching independently other forums to see what people thought I was sold ( yes all that time I spent on the john at work I was really doing research who knew a stall would see such production) but never being the satisfied person I am I call amsoil to specifically ask about the filter for my car since there claim was 300 % more holding capacity then a"comparable " brand
But when I asked about how much oil containment the dam thing can hold no body could answer it
No body knew over there even in tech support
So after a couple of radials to try to find someone who knew I was suggested the home office number
So finally I get to speak to an engineer
Whooo the source I've been searching for
So that great amsoil filter that they sell for 16 $
With the all synthetic media and 20 micron filter ability
Could only hold 3 grams of oil contaminate which means at that point the filter is full the bypass valve opens and the oil recirculates like it usually does through the engine but with out ever being filtered

Now compare that to Fram ultra which is 10 bucks and hold 8.9 grams of oil containment and yes is a full authentic media filter and goes down to 20 microns of filtration as well
So I'm left guessing [censored] u can't curse here so I'm left to abbreviate
Dam.......
Now through this entire toilet sit down oil search bonanza I've found mobile makes extended changed oil and filters
The extended performance mobil 1 and has a filter that goes with it
But the filter was just about as big if not exactly the same size as the amsoil so of being a reasonable man I figure they may not hold exactly the same about of oil containment but it has to be not to far apart
Can't fit 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag and u know what I love my common sense and I think the world is missing a lot of it
But not here to talk about that
By the way I actually called champion labs which makes mobil filters and frams and subarus and lots others
They said they don't know how much oil containment it would hold and gain a couple of calls over a couple of days spoke with multiple people and know body knew
Again more time on the clock but sitting on the john

They finally directed me to mobile which I got a number off then for somebody they said should know

And guess what that person had no clue either or his manager or the guy above him after waiting there days with no call back (I don't hold it against them it's a big company) I decided that road was not going far

But what bothers me about amsoil and mobile is that if the product is so great and is sold at a premium rate why can't u let the specs speak for them selves which in the long run I've chosen mobile 1 extended performance 5w 30
With a Fram ultra filter

That's why I choice Fram I called multiple times and each time the manufacture technical representative I talked too had all the data to answer ever question and u know what I kind of dislike how I discovered amsoil is just marketing here I thought I found a company that was willing to rise above the competition not sellout for big stores and use independent sales people and let the people sell the oil
But it's just fairy dust there product maybe good but if it is so good why did I have to jump through hoops to find what I need which reminded me so much of mobile and how they seemed clueless
Not as badly as amsoil
I'm not saying the product amsoil is bad I've never used it
But after what I learned of the inter workings of the company I have distrust especially after it's hotter that mobile 1 uses group 3 base oils for the product

Bit after actually talking to a engineer at mobile and asking what base oil do u use for ur mobile 1 extended performance?
The man answered group 4 and I never said anything about which group so that made me feel all gushy
So I thought I'd share this experience to all and hope some people have a reply
Whether u agree or not I want to hear

Last thing I went with mobil extended performance because I've used mobil products and the mobil1 currently and I like them and since seeing the heads on my mother 15 year old Mercedes with nearly 300000 miles on it I'm convinced they look like nice new metal hey but that's a Mercedes too not a Subaru but seeing a oil inaction used from day one of a car is comforting
Thank u and good night I'm here till Thursday

wow thats one hard to read post.

also thats not all even close to correct.

do more research.

Last edited:
I think your Mobil contaminant holding capacity is incorrect

Both Mobil and FRAM say their filters (Ultra in the case of FRAM) hold twice the dirt of ordinary filters.

Purolator say P1 holds 13grams and their Synthetic holds 27g.

That was quite the post...If you are looking to do 10K mile OCI and feel safe while doing it, I would go with M1 EP and a Fram Ultra. That should give you some margins.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
And what do you mean you are "here till Thursday"? The john?

rimshot

Try the veal.

Originally Posted By: 1roamingnome
The man answered group 4 and I never said anything about which group so that made me feel all gushy

Getting all choked up over motor oil?
laugh.gif

You'll fit in great here.

well i never said i knew what it held im just saying its only 3 inchs wide and 2.25 high for my fikter m1108 its not that big but yes im still guessing and i dont give much wait weight to holds twice as much dirt as an ordinary filter i just want what it holds
if i told u i was giving u a lot of money couldnt i still just give u 10 $ and claim well its a matter of perspective

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

laugh.gif

thank u my man it good to know im with family

Both Mobil and FRAM say their filters (Ultra in the case of FRAM) hold twice the dirt of ordinary filters.

and which specific filter is that my man i waNT THE MODEL NUMBER because u could use advertising to say up to... i dont think everyone of there filters holds 27 grams
dont fall prey to marketing

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

laugh.gif

thank u my man it good to know im with family

So you and Turtlevette are family?
confused2.gif

Last edited:
I am sure a random person from Mobil told you trade secret and divulged that they use Group 4 base oils in their formulation. I don't think they use Group 4 any more but used to.

Try getting over your in-ability to shop at walmart and just go pick up the M1 EP + Fram Ultra for about $35 and be on your way to 15K intervals.

and which specific filter is that my man i waNT THE MODEL NUMBER because u could use advertising to say up to... i dont think everyone of there filters holds 27 grams
dont fall prey to marketing

The general consensus is that you can trust the oil filter manufacturers claims in terms of mileage they handle.

There is a lot of reserve in them. Since you did 3k mile intervals at AutoZone, your engine should be spotless and you should be able to trust the mileage claims of both the oil and the filters.

Go to 10k miles, send off for a UOA and cut open your filter (after use).

Agreed. I can't think of any filter bigger than a thimble that would go be so loaded it would go into bypass with only 3 g of insolubles. Obviously, a bigger filter holds more, all else being equal, but let's be reasonable here.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Agreed. I can't think of any filter bigger than a thimble that would go be so loaded it would go into bypass with only 3 g of insolubles. Obviously, a bigger filter holds more, all else being equal, but let's be reasonable here.

Well I'm just kind of going for the filter I feel like I get the most out if and still will go down to 20 micron

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
So you and Turtlevette are family?
confused2.gif

Aren't we all? We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine.

I'll be here all week. badda boom.

If one goes with Amsoil I cannot see going with anything but the signature line of lubricants.

Years ago my Dad gave me a Ford Taurus wagon not worth too much to keep in case either of my college daughters messed up their car so bad that they needed another car. So as a test I put Amsoil ASL in it and ran it over 20K using the older Amsoil filter. The car ran fine but the UOA came back pretty bad. I am glad I had not tried it in a vehicle I really cared about.

My point is if you go over 10K or 12K you need to do a UOA and then that costs as much as an oil change.

Amsoil makes great oil, still not sure I would ever go to 25K unless I had the money for UOAs along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back