The Treadmill

Is the treadmill boring to you? It certainly is to me. Sure, they got TVs to look at and overhead music that's at least twice as loud as it should be, but I still find the machine boring none the less. I find myself staring at the movement of the conveyor belt instead of watching the TV. I keep looking at the clock on the machine too. "What do you mean it's only been 3 minutes," I think to myself.

My winter routine this year has been mostly indoor track, sometimes treadmill. I have the treadmill in my house so it always wins for convenience. That said, no TV on mine and I stare out the window. Definitely boring, but it gets the job done. I now cover up the data screen so that I'm not staring at clock and mileage constantly.

For indoor running in general my temp threshold is about 20F...anything lower than that and I'm under a roof.

I agree if there's nothing else to do.

I started using Apple's Fitness+ recently and that definitely sparks it up. They have a number of treadmill based workouts. You're not just running, but going through cycles of varying degree, walking or running.

When I was in Cardiac re-hab I was walking a 21 minute mile on a treadmill.I live behind a senior center,and a pickle ball court. With parking for at least 100 cars. In between a national landmark, and 3 little league fields that have an asphalt running track surrounding them and several miles of walking trails behind me. I have a course laid out, I listen to recorded books and do 3 1 mile laps every morning. I dress for the weather. So far, snow hasn't been a problem. It is part of my daily heart meds :cool:

Last edited:
I guess I'll be the odd one but I love the treadmill. I run on the belt daily, M-F. Wake up, let the dog out, change clothes, then run for 34 minutes. My Apple Watch says I've recorded 876 5Ks, 99+% on the treadmill.

I'm not that old buy my knees are pretty busted. Running on concrete or asphalt will guarantee sore knees tomorrow. A trail run would be death. If I'm going to run outdoors, it's usually on a Friday (so I can recoup over the weekend) or it'll be an organized 5K. Other than those, I'm on the treadmill.

I watch television. More specifically: I watch my iPad and whatever streaming series I'm into at the time. I'm getting through Season 5 of Drive to Survive right now, then I'll move into Succession. This is pretty much how I watch most of my television entertainment now. If I'm going to binge Succession (not really binge because it takes two days to get through an episode), may as well do it with an elevated heart rate.

I do rowing and the first couple thousand meters I'm like that. I regret starting it until 1,000 meters. From 1,000 to 3,000 I start changing my mind. After that I make a bet with myself that I can reach 5,000 without quitting. After that it becomes easy and I can go to 10,000 without problems.

Treadmill beats the pavement anytime in my playbook

I practice and continue to like the treadmill running; I don't use integrated TV on it

The treadmill simply isn't anything like running. Given the choice, I much prefer other stationary equipment such as the Peloton or a climber. If a treadmill is what is available, it's far preferable to being sedentary.

I'm not that old buy my knees are pretty busted. Running on concrete or asphalt will guarantee sore knees tomorrow. A trail run would be death. If I'm going to run outdoors, it's usually on a Friday (so I can recoup over the weekend) or it'll be an organized 5K.
Running on hard surfaces kills the joints. I run mostly on grass but the golfers take potshots at me. 😆

Last edited:
The treadmill simply isn't anything like running. Given the choice, I much prefer other stationary equipment such as the Peloton or a climber. If a treadmill is what is available, it's far preferable to being sedentary.
We have a treadmill that my wife wore the bearing out of. It was making loud noises and she complained one day that it broke and there were little small metal balls on the floor. I fixed it but ever since we got the Peloton she's never step foot on the treadmill. She loves the Peloton and uses it everyday. It kicks my asthma up so I don't use it as much.

Is the treadmill boring to you? It certainly is to me. Sure, they got TVs to look at and overhead music that's at least twice as loud as it should be, but I still find the machine boring none the less. I find myself staring at the movement of the conveyor belt instead of watching the TV. I keep looking at the clock on the machine too. "What do you mean it's only been 3 minutes," I think to myself.
It means you are not running fast enough. I would like trendmill but I want to preserve my knee so I do elliptical and stair master instead. It ain't workout if it ain't burning.

Got rid of the treadmill and went with the stationary bike with the swinging handles.

Treadmill is Boring, but I do it and get it done.

I've been weight training since high school. At times,it's not what I want to do,but the alternative is being in bad health.

We all have choices.

Back