The Tire Rack mobile service installed new Yokohamas today at my house on the Audi

The reason I ask is that I recently ran into two dealers who would not mount and balance my new tires which I purchased from Sears during the summer when Ohio's last store closed. By the time I bought the tires, their service center was shut down already.

The equipment on his truck and his tools are amazing and this is only his part-time gig. He's a CVS pharmacist by day.

Assuming he’s a full time pharmacist he must have a very limited amount of appointments he can schedule.

The reason I ask is that I recently ran into two dealers who would not mount and balance my new tires which I purchased from Sears during the summer when Ohio's last store closed. By the time I bought the tires, their service center was shut down already.
Another "don't want your business" policy. Well dealers make service money hand over fist anyway.

Some policies are just odd but most likely liability-based. For example, the local Firestone will mount bring-in tires as long as they are obviously new/wrapped/tagged. Otherwise they will service your existing tires on the vehicle even if not bought there... will unmount/remount as part of a rotation... but mount or swap rims on bring-in(s) they didn't sell and is not perfectly new, they won't do that. (Don't ask me to justify all that mess.)

Yeah, he's probably a pharmacy tech. Pharmacists tend to work 12 hour days and make about 100k+ whereas tech make much less.
Was going to remark on this, unless they’re an independent compounding pharmacist they’re making bank and working a lot. CVS is a good place to make money and stay busy but it’s kind of soulless for pharmacists since they rarely get to do any fun specialty stuff or compounding.

Was going to remark on this, unless they’re an independent compounding pharmacist they’re making bank and working a lot. CVS is a good place to make money and stay busy but it’s kind of soulless for pharmacists since they rarely get to do any fun specialty stuff or compounding.
I believe the complaints at CVS is that they work them to the bone. Although that's basically true for many chain pharmacies not just CVS. So mistakes get made. They've screwed me on the number of pills I was supposed to get a few times, once 3 times in a row so I always check after getting it in the store.

UPDATE:
The balance is perfect. I drove the Audi at various speeds and it's spot on.

I'm thinking with the tipping and being that Tire Rack customers are probably picky to details, the installers
strive to do a good job. My wife tipped $15.

I like how the tires have more high speed straight line stability then the General G-Max AS-05's that came off the car. The better straight line stability comes at the cost of less steering response with the softer sidewalls.
Tires are like footwear. Pros and cons to the choices regarding performance.

UPDATE:
The balance is perfect. I drove the Audi at various speeds and it's spot on.

I'm thinking with the tipping and being that Tire Rack customers are probably picky to details, the installers
strive to do a good job. My wife tipped $15.

I like how the tires have more high speed straight line stability then the General G-Max AS-05's that came off the car. The better straight line stability comes at the cost of less steering response with the softer sidewalls.
Tires are like footwear. Pros and cons to the choices regarding performance.
How are the noise levels? I was considering these tires for my Prius but some reviews have stated that they have a very odd noise on smooth surfaces.

Last week I set up my sister for the mobile installation of winter tires (and wheels) from Tire Rack. She lives in Central Ohio - so Yes! Salt!!

In spite of Discount Tire being terribly convenient, the price differential for wheels was too much to overcome.

The installer was "a Tire Rack company", which must mean Tire Rack owns it.

First, there was a delay in shipping - Not Tire Rack's fault! But the installation company told her the same morning as the appointment. (8:30 am for a 9:00 am to Noon window.) This wasn't a problem for my sister, but would have been if she had taken off work. Again, not Tire Rack's fault!

The installation was rescheduled for 2 days later and the installer arrived within the 3 hour afternoon window.

Then the installer couldn't get the rear wheels off. The installer was very nice and said he wished the company supplied him with a sledgehammer, but they didn't for liability reasons! (I'll bet! I don't think I'd want someone hammering on my car with a sledgehammer!)

Side bar: Hasn't anyone come up with a better way to remove stuck wheels? One that doesn't involve a hammer?

My sister was left with 2 new winter tires on the front and 2 wornout all seasons on the rear - and a suggestion to have someone who had a shop finish the work! (note: the vehicle was a 2016 FWD Chevy Traverse.)

So the next morning she went down to Discount Tire and in an hour she was on the road with 4 new winter tires - AT NO CHARGE!! My sister was over the roof and now wonders if our efforts to save some money on wheels was worth it! She is definitely a Discount Tire fan and they will have her business in the future - and that future is very soon as part of the reason she needed winter tires was the all seasons were worn out- so this spring!

I'll stick with Discount Tire for my tire needs. They have gotten me out of a lot of jams with nails in tires for no charge repairs, and they always have a decent house brand tire for my econo-boxes at a decent price (and full warranty).

However I will say this. In San Antonio there are quite a few Mobile mechanic places around. I hired one when I just moved into my house and didn't have my tools accessible to put rotors and pads on my wife's scion. $75 fee and he did a decent job, not as picky as I would be but it worked on an economy car.

There are also several 100 percent mobile shops dedicated to doing brakes. The guy next door had them replace rotors and pads all the way around on his Lexus SUV, and they seemed to be a rather polished setup. Arrived in sprinter van with compressor, and all tools on board. Soft lift jacks, and covers to protect the car and the driveway from dirt or damage.

When I lived in Austin there was a service that would come and put gas in your car, but I think that is more dedicated to fleet use, and makes less sense for anyone to use it.

I found suggestion on YouTube to lose lug nuts on stuck wheel and drive slowly while taking turns.
It worked quite well.
May work better on front than rear.

Krzyś

I've always wished the good old Full Service Stations would make a comeback. We still have 1 remaining in town with a mechanic on duty 24/7.

Back