The tale of gas cans continues

The 5 gal Eagle can I bought 7 years ago has a flame arrestor in the spout. Doesn't affect pourability for me, and is a nice "stop" for the gas nozzle.

Are internal explosions actually possible in a plastic can? In my mind, gas can't burn without the presence of adequate oxygen, which doesn't come into play until the gas exits the can. When the gas can gets hot enough to start melting, the fuel pours out, and then ignites when it encounters a flame. I don't see how revisions to a plastic can could stop this. Can a plastic gas can remain intact up to the auto-ignition point of gasoline?

The perforated sleeves in many of the new cans prevent you from using shaker siphons. I bought 3 gas cans last Summer and that was the first I came across those.....some prying with a flat screwdriver and a twist w/ needlenose solved the problems.

I'll try not to use them to start a campfire though......

Those CARB-spouts cause so much gas spillage when I try to use them - particularly the 5 gallon sizes - that they are probably worse for the environment than the old fashioned cans and spouts.

It helps to remove the spring that holds it closed. Makes it so much easier to use.

Those CARB-spouts cause so much gas spillage when I try to use them - particularly the 5 gallon sizes - that they are probably worse for the environment than the old fashioned cans and spouts.
I absolutely HATE those, and yes I have spilled more fuel since those awkward devices were forced on us then in all of the minibike and boat filled years prior to them. The latest ones are a bit better, still a PITA, but the first generation ones were pretty much useless and fragile.

I absolutely HATE those, and yes I have spilled more fuel since those awkward devices were forced on us then in all of the minibike and boat filled years prior to them. The latest ones are a bit better, still a PITA, but the first generation ones were pretty much useless and fragile.
Several youtube videos about how to by-pass or eliminate the "safety" features on
most plastic cans.

My 2¢

Yeah those freakin' can spouts, I strip them down and tear the valve out and put back together sealing with silicone caulking.

Obviously designed by someone who has never used a gas can.

Absolutely! I cannot express how much fuel I lost and got all over myself using one of the stupid "safety" spouts. I can, however, express how much fuel I lost prior to that and since I bought an Eagle - exactly ZERO.

It's all about "safe" these days, not common sense.

The one I bought very conveniently pulled apart with a relatively gentle tug. The springamathing entered a low earth orbit to the best of my knowledge, but no more spilling!

Are internal explosions actually possible in a plastic can? In my mind, gas can't burn without the presence of adequate oxygen, which doesn't come into play until the gas exits the can. When the gas can gets hot enough to start melting, the fuel pours out, and then ignites when it encounters a flame. I don't see how revisions to a plastic can could stop this. Can a plastic gas can remain intact up to the auto-ignition point of gasoline?
Absolutely possible when you are pouring gas out because air is going back in the can to replace the volume of fuel. Hence the reason they want a flame arrestor on the spout.

I agree with Reddy45. I switched over to Eagle gas cans and won't ever go back to plastic cans.

Wow! At first glance, I found it hard to imagine a government mandate for gas spout revisions, given that all known explosions/fires were caused by user error. Even the plaintiffs in the cases (reported in the news story) acknowledged that these individuals had made bad choices; what rationale person pours gas into a ventless fireplace or into a campfire, and then blames the container for their stupidity? I'm not sure which is worse...the lawsuit over stupidity or the fact that the government then changed the design requirements to accommodate stupidity. A better choice may be to make stupidity illegal...

I need to shop for a regular, unsafe gas can. Mine has some sort of horizontal center divider in the spout that lets air travel in while gas is pouring out, and it makes for a very hard-to-manage stream, since the spout is rigid and set at a permanent, and inappropriate angle. I love dousing the outside of my mower with gas. Now THAT'S safe!

The tiny gas can I used to use for pre-mix had a plastic trigger on the spout that soon froze in place. I finally got p*ssed and squeezed it with pliers one day, and it's been an open spout ever since. Wow, are these things safe or what?

An important point with any vapor control can is to open the valve with the can still upright, to let the pressure out before attempting to pour. I have a couple of the Sceptre cans with the big button on the back side of the nozzle and I'm not too adverse to how they work. It is nice that they seal up perfectly while bringing gas home in the trunk of a car. There's no gas odor in the car.

Back