The sound of EVs, Audis take.

The inherent quietness of EVs, especially at lower speeds where tire noise is not as noticeable, has brought regulators to require they make noise so pedestrians can hear them for safety reasons. Here is what Audi is developing for their upcoming EV lineup.

back when I was a train driver, i was around train stations and workshops a lot. You know, crosing the tracks at designated points. It paid to have eyes in the back of your skull as you don't hear them coming at all if they're just coasting...

So I can understand they want EVs to make some noise for pedestrians at low speeds

My e-tron had an interesting noise to it. Whatever sound the Tesla cars make much be very subtle because I have never noticed it.

Just wait until Crutchfield makes some upgraded external speakers with 5000 W amplifiers.

My friend's BMW i8 plays performance engine sounds through the radio.
Not for me... She thinks it's pretty silly too.
I hate the fake engine noise from a Prius or RAV4 hybrid. if they really wanted to get the attention of the blind, a beeper like a truck’s backup alarm would work better. Or if you stood on a street corner in San Francisco or Oakland in the 1980s-2000s, buses would make that same sound when the right turn signal was on.

My E-Golf has a small speaker in the front fender/bumper cover on the passenger side that VW claims emulates ICE engine noises, its only active until 18 MPH then shuts off as the tire noise is plenty by then. It is still too quiet as I still end up stuck behind people walking in the middle of the road and I am too nice to honk the horn and scare the crap out of them, not to mention I have had a few people just walk right out in front of me in my parking garage at work.

Back