The Saturn V and the F-1 rocket engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Milkman
That is a COOL picture.

Bless your parents for taking you there.

My dad worked for NASA, so going to the Cape was nothing special.

Riding with Wally Schirra in his Corvette--now that was special.
wink.gif

wally-schirra-01.jpg

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Wait, the shuttle must have greater thrust (because it is heavier) AND greater thrust to weight ratio (because it is claimed that it accelerates faster) in order to do what is claimed.

Shuttle lift-off gross weight: Approx 4.5 million pounds.
Saturn V lift-off gross weight: Approx 6.7 million pounds.

The Shuttle has about 90% of the total thrust of the Saturn V at lift-off and weighs considerably less. Therefore, it's going to leave the pad faster because the thrust to weight ratio is higher.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
That is a COOL picture.

wink.gif

wally-schirra-01.jpg

You sure it wasnt a triumph? Was trying to find pics of the car and found this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=OZ_jQVH...tte&f=false

That is a COOL picture.

wink.gif

wally-schirra-01.jpg

You sure it wasnt a triumph? Was trying to find pics of the car and found this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=OZ_jQVH...tte&f=false

Wally had a Vette. His British car wasn't a Triumph, it was an Austin-Healey. He bought the Vette at Jim Rathmann Chevrolet in Melbourne, which is where we lived.

LOL, that's great! A first-hand source. I was searching for a pic, reminded that most astronauts seemed to drive vettes... Just found that blurb.

Neat info!

LOL, that's great! A first-hand source. I was searching for a pic, reminded that most astronauts seemed to drive vettes... Just found that blurb.

Neat info!

I've never seen any pics of Wally with his Vette. I wish my parents had taken some. He got a Maserati Bora after the Vette and here's a pic of that:

6348793.jpeg

awesome. I find it amazing that a pencil like that can be pushed from the bottom in an inherently unstable position, but somehow we could maintain stability to keep it upright under that acceleration.

GMAN, what an awesome experience some of us could only dream of.

A visit to the space launching areas and space centres is definitely on the cards for me one day. I used to devour books on the space program as a kid, i could recite every single mission's crew, what each mission did...

Last edited:
Neat! From the personal space collection?

No, just a pic I found on the web. By the time Wally got the Maserati we were no longer living in Florida and I think he may have been living in Houston. Dad was transferred to the test facility for the Saturn V booster (Bay St. Louis, MS) in 68 in preparation for the Apollo 11 mission.

Quote:
The difference in sound and feel with the Saturn V is attributable to the difference between a liquid rocket engine and a solid rocket motor. The F-1 produces extremely high amplitude, low and mid frequency noise. It's a loud but deep, deep rumble that you feel as much as hear. The SRBs produce a higher frequency noise, and because of the solid propellant the sound is completely different.

One major contributor to the difference in sound is the solids in the SRB exhaust. A very large portion of the white "smoke" is aluminum oxide. These particles dampen the sound.

Ed

Originally Posted By: expat
Every time I see that first Vid, and we see the letters USA pass by, I have to wonder, if in a different Time-Line, if that could have been a Swastika :-(
What a silly post. Are you aware of the history of America's rocketry program?

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Every time I see that first Vid, and we see the letters USA pass by, I have to wonder, if in a different Time-Line, if that could have been a Swastika :-(

Yes, and it didn't really get going until after WWII with Werner Von Braun at the helm and a lot of captured V2 rockets. The Redstone rocket that carried the Mercury capsule and our first man into space was nothing more than a slightly modified V2.

Yes, and it didn't really get going until after WWII with Werner Von Braun at the helm and a lot of captured V2 rockets. The Redstone rocket that carried the Mercury capsule and our first man into space was nothing more than a slightly modified V2.

Dr. von Braun played an important role...and led the program but you're clearly forgetting all the indigenous "Rocketeers"...Robert Goddard for example...who first flew his rockets in 1926, while Werner von Braun was still in boarding school...

And the V-2 to Redstone connections? Sure...that's like saying the F-4 was just a modified ME-262 because they're both twin engine jets that ran on the same fuel...it's easy to ignore the evolution and improvements between the two...

I remember about 7th grade and building a 6' rocket crammed full of 19,500 match heads. We lit it off on the Jr. High pitchers mound and it went straight up 20 ft and one side melted out and it ended up crashing on second base. Between the pitchers mound and second base the ground was total black and covered in match heads.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Dr. von Braun played an important role...and led the program but you're clearly forgetting all the indigenous "Rocketeers"...Robert Goddard for example...who first flew his rockets in 1926, while Werner von Braun was still in boarding school...

And the V-2 to Redstone connections? Sure...that's like saying the F-4 was just a modified ME-262 because they're both twin engine jets that ran on the same fuel...it's easy to ignore the evolution and improvements between the two...

I'm not forgetting about the nascent US rocket program. But it's clear that the real advancement in US rocketry began when the captured Nazi scientists were brought over after the war.

Your statement about the Redstone is just flat out ridiculous. The F-4 was in no way, shape, or form derived directly from the ME-262. It is well documented that Von Braun developed the Redstone directly from the V2. In fact, operational parameters (max range and altitude) of the first Redstone are almost identical to the V2. Granted, the Redstone that was used for Mercury was a highly advanced iteration (a modified Jupiter C, which was directly developed from the first Redstone), but was still a rocket that was developed and derived from the V2.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/makeup/design.html

I followed the American (and what we were allowed to know about the Russian program) for as long as I can remember (Gagarin-Mercury program)
I also, as a child had an interest in the V2, as one had landed about 300 yards from our house in London.
I think about 500 landed in the London area, each with a payload of about 1 Ton of explosive, coming in a Mach 3.
Quite the achievement in 1944!

Since the N1 was brought up, I thought some here might enjoy this. I was involved with launching a 1/16 scale N1 in 2001. The original goal was for a team to build a 1/16 Saturn V and another team to build the N1 They were to be launched simultaneously.

We used the scale number of motors. All 42 fired and all three stages worked. This was the most successful N1 launch in history.
smile.gif

I designed and built the launch system. Since the larger central motors take longer to come up to pressure than the small outer motors we did a sequenced ignition so all motors came up to thrust at the same time.

Main web site here: http://www.moonrace2001.org/

Launch here: http://www.moonrace2001.org/n1_launch.shtml

Scroll to the bottom to see a video of the launch. The third stage was a bit late as it took Chet a second to recover from the "holy [censored],it worked and we're not dead!" moment. We were sure it was just going to fall over and come right at us.

I'm one of the three at 200' from the rocket in Chris Atteberry's photos.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back