The Sacrificial Quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some guys on the board have said they pour an extra quart into the engine after the oil has drained to rinse the oil pan out. Good idea?
smile.gif

I think that might be more like a half a quart. No I don't think it's a good idea, but then again I'm somewhat of a treehugger myself LOL...just kidding. But seriously, I think that's a complete waste of oil, even if it's $.49 store brand special.

The way to flush is with some cheap oil, put it in to normal fill and run for 5 min to a whole day. Save the flush oil and use it the same way a few more times. Totally clean to start an oci for about $1 an OC.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
The way to flush is with some cheap oil, put it in to normal fill and run for 5 min to a whole day. Save the flush oil and use it the same way a few more times. Totally clean to start an oci for about $1 an OC.

Now that sounds like a much better idea to me
cheers.gif

I did that once on a car where the oil came out
"Chunky" Filled er up with the cheap stuff
ran it for 40 miles and dumped it.

If your doing oil changes with an interval shorter then or up to 5k I don't see how this would every be necessary. You could always connect a shop vac to the oil drain hole and suck the stuff out.

or stick a steam cleaner nozzle down the oil fill hole....come on guys
normal crankcases do NOT require a douche
most of us have better things to do than laying under an oil pan screwing the oil plug
freak2.gif

Never rub another man's rhubarb. I'm sure that this isn't the only anal technique that's employed by our fine membership. Prefilling filters ..bumping the engine to fill the filter, changing the oil first ..adding new oil ..then removing the filter.

They're all just little things that make us feel better. If blowing a quart of oil in the process pleases you ...who am I to argue
dunno.gif

Well, it won't HURT and if it does remove a measurable portion of old oil??? Especially for oil that's run an extended drain, it's not a bad idea.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
No. I can barely find a container large enough to hold 6 quarts, let alone 7.

(I use a liquid laundry detergent container).

A BOBISTHEOILGUY type person uses a real oil container.
wink.gif
Check out the Blitz 15 qt oil drain pan #11838. There not to much at your local Wally World.
LINK HERE

I have my doubts about the ability of those containers to keep oil from leaking during the trip between my house and the oil recycling drop-off point.

I dont know what brand it is, but, I have one of those 15 Qt containers. Yes, I will get a little leakage from the spout when taking it to the recycle center if I don't put something like a plastic bag with a rubber band over the spout when carrying it in my car. I guess I could just make a gasket. I always put it in a tray when transporting it just in case it does spill.

quote:

Originally posted by Steelhead:
or stick a steam cleaner nozzle down the oil fill hole....come on guys
normal crankcases do NOT require a douche
most of us have better things to do than laying under an oil pan screwing the oil plug
freak2.gif

OH MY!! That was the funniest post I have ever read here!!!
cheers.gif
I was thinking how asinine doing a 5 minute flush or running a quart through the motor after draining is, but you expressed the sentiment perfectly, Steelhead. Cheeseandrice, I thought I was neurotically obsessive. Doing a 5 minute oil flush every oil change is just plain bizzare
freak2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back