The Rise of the Robots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota believes robots should be used for jobs people don't like or are too dangerous.
Elon Musk found he over automated the original Model 3 manufacturing line which badly hurt production.
He built 2 huge tents in the parking lot and staffed it with mostly human workers. Output jumped; Q3 and Q4 of last year were huge.

Toyota believes people can be trained and retrained to do multiple jobs; robots cannot.

Regarding wages, for profit companies do not care about inflation; they care about the bottom line.

Last edited:
Many do … in January I went to a new state of the art pipe mill … 90% of the operations staff sat in various control rooms with computers and CCTV monitors … Others watched from observation walkways from a distance …
If manual intervention becomes required … they go to LOTO …

I'll bet the people that repair the robotics will make a decent living.

A guy with a backhoe can do the work of how many men? Containerized shipping replaces how many Longshoreman required to unload a cargo vessel and then load it on a truck for delivery?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Has not slowed the border crossing …

Dedonde esta Welfare dinero.

Originally Posted by ZZman
But Robots don't spend money and buy products.

If I had a robot factory that could produce anything I wanted, why would I care about selling things?

Originally Posted by emg
Originally Posted by ZZman
But Robots don't spend money and buy products.

If I had a robot factory that could produce anything I wanted, why would I care about selling things?

Someone has not had economics!

They are using "robots" at work to enter insurance claims into the system. They are in a computer not a physical robot. They may speed up the mundane tasks, but for me dealing with the security requirements of the robot userids its a royal PIA.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Economcs is irrelevant if there's no need to trade.

People trade to get money to buy the stuff they want. If they have robots that will make anything they want, they have no need to trade... they just make the stuff they want.

We're heading into a post-industrial future where people will have machines that can make anything they want so long as they have the raw materials to do so. And the universe is a giant wasteland full of raw materials.

Originally Posted by emg

People trade to get money to buy the stuff they want. If they have robots that will make anything they want, they have no need to trade... they just make the stuff they want.

We're heading into a post-industrial future where people will have machines that can make anything they want so long as they have the raw materials to do so. And the universe is a giant wasteland full of raw materials.

I thought you were joking when you said "robots that will make anything they want".
Robots are built to do a particular task. You would be constantly designing and building new robots...
And need other robots to fix them...

Economics is everything; robots or no.

Originally Posted by emg

I am a little worried about the "they" part-wrong "they"=Skynet, or the Matrix...

People are way too worried about the robotics revolution but I don't believe there is cause for concern. We are at basically full employment right now yet in the last 100 years we have invented every type of digging machine imaginable, pavers, cranes etc. We have automated welders, machining centers, 3 d printers, computers etc. Products are spit out on automated lines with no human intervention. Even with all these labor eliminators we are close to full employment and a plumber costs me $100 an hour. And yet I see the local cashier is missing teeth and cannot afford the dentist.

We have plenty of places where labor is needed (like fixing that poor cashiers teeth) and clearing my pipes for less than $100 an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back