The rise and fall of DIY From Lubes and greases

"If you take your car into a shop for an oil change, you don't know what idiot is going to end up working in it. If you do it yourself, you know for sure!"

-- Red Green

Originally Posted By: Vilan
"If you take your car into a shop for an oil change, you don't know what idiot is going to end up working in it. If you do it yourself, you know for sure!"

-- Red Green

He has some good lines.

Getting a regular oil+filter change at an auto repair shop may be $20, but often I would see them charge $65-70 for full synthetic!

Agreed!
We should do for ourselves what we can.
You don't need a mechanic, an IT person, a plumber, or an electrician for most of the routine repairs that are needed.
Our cars mostly need maintenace and replacement of wear items, which is usually pretty simple.
As a society, we have become remarkably incompetent and lazy.
It is always fun to have done something yourself, and have the satisfaction that you've done it right.

My Mom jokes that I'm a genius.....I fix a lot of things for my Parents, cars, house fix it jobs etc.

My Dad used to take me for granted. He seems more thankful now that he is getting up in years.

I must admit it would be nice to be able to afford to hire someone like some families do...........

Some people aren't cut out for DIY. I have recently decided if my son in law was just like me, I wouldn't have anybody to fix my computer.

Originally Posted By: labman
Some people aren't cut out for DIY. I have recently decided if my son in law was just like me, I wouldn't have anybody to fix my computer.

My Dad is not a DIY person that's for sure. My older Brother has goofy ideas on how to fix things. Sometimes they are good many times they are not. He has a genius IQ, so go figure....................

Some people like to point out that I enjoy working on cars. I correct them by telling them that I don't enjoy working on cars. What I do enjoy is saving money and the satisfaction of having the job done right. If I enjoyed it, I'd be soliciting work on other people's cars. Otherwise I'd rather be parked in front of my television.
OMG...so much this! All of it.

Back