The REAL Reason Behind the "0"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right...as the mph put it, Euro. manuf. spec a min. of 40 weight, and beginning with M-B in bed with M-1 they were 'forced' to use the 0-40 ie. that's all that M-1 makes in a 40 grade.

Interesting perspective, and one that probably would not have occurred to me, that they WOULD PROBABLY have picked a 10W40 or maybe even a 20W40 if M1 came in that weight...very interesting.

Thanks....

Furthermore, M-1 has always touted their "pours at temps. that cause other oils to be solid"...and hence, they're oils are 0-20, 0-30, 0-40. Hey, I'd like to see a 0-50 (the 5-50 is old school). Partly because PAO's have very good low temp. pour characteristics, and partly because Mobil oils are on the 'thin' side anyways. But, I think it's mostly a marketing thing. Certainly spured other 0-40's out there!

Mobil 1 Delvac is a 5w-40 and is regarded as one of the best oils out there.

Buster,

It's not commonly available if it were made factory fill is it?...plus it is primarily oriented to diesels, right? I've been in ALOT of automotive stores and I don't ever remember seeing it.

[ July 31, 2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Correct, it's not readily availble in some locations. Some people have it around them, others don't. It's a great oil for Gas engines as well. Mobil's webpages states this and Tooslick is a fan of Delvac 1. I think he has stated before that this is the oil he would run if he used Mobil 1.
cheers.gif

You have brought up an excellent point. More and more often I am hearing from people whose opinion I respect, recommendations to use "diesel oils" in gas engines because they are the best oils. I am talking about Rotella T (dino), Delvac 1 and Amsoil Series 3000 5W30. I had a very experienced engine builder with some serious credentials tell me that Rotella T was THE way to go (he did not say this to the exclusion of synthetics specifically, I think he was just from the dino school). I am thinking REALLY seriously about going the Amsoil Series 3000 route.

[ July 31, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Frequently on our board, I hear comments like, "If I lived in Alaska or If I Were in Arctic Conditions, I would use a zero weight oil." My question is, if that is what they are REALLY designed for why do Porsche and AMG use 0W40 as factory fill? They KNOW most of their cars will not be sold in Alaska or the Scnadinavian countries. In fact, if I understand the market correctly, Porsche sells the majority of its cars in the US (most of which go to Southern California) and to Saudi Arabia. So why wouldn't they--knowing their market--factory fill with no less than 5 or 10W30? There has got to be something here, e.g. reduction in startup wear that is significant enough for them to go 0W at the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back