The Ranger hit XXX,XXX miles the other day......

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brothers first ride, a 1991 Ford Ranger hit 400,000 miles the other day. He isn't much of a car guy and doesn't really care so I figured I would share with you all. It has the 2.3 dual spark plug 4 banger, the Mazda 5 speed manual, crank up windows etc. Pretty much a bare bones model so not a whole lot to break. It runs pretty well for having 400K on it, she gets him to where he needs to be without too much fuss. Its not perfect, the A/C compressor doesn't work, power steering leaks and whines (keeps a bottle of fluid in the back to keep it topped off), has a little rust, and the transmission can be a little fussy going into first and second sometimes. Its your typical first car I suppose, but he loves it and drives it everywhere. Just wanted to share with my BITOG family, its always neat to see cars hitting milestones.
m7ip2.jpg
[/img]

That's not 400k. It's _40k (140/240/340/440), a 5-digit odometer that rolls over to 00000 every 100k.

The white dial is tenths of a mile. The odometer reads 40159.7

That's a heck of a feat.

You've got double img tags on your photo, remove two of them and it'll show up.

Yeah, that's either 40,000, 140,000, 240,000, 340,000, etc. miles.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
That's not 400k. It's _40k (140/240/340/440), a 5-digit odometer that rolls over to 00000 every 100k.

Well I am not too proud to say I was wrong, you are right! In that case it just hit 340K. Sorry to mis-inform.

I had a 1990 Ranger and turned the odometer three times. It read 50,000 when I sold it. Did your brother keep track of how many times it turned over?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Well I am not too proud to say I was wrong, you are right! In that case it just hit 340K. Sorry to mis-inform.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I had a 1990 Ranger and turned the odometer three times. It read 50,000 when I sold it. Did your brother keep track of how many times it turned over?

Right. OP, are you sure or are you guessing?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I am sure. He got it from a family friend who is an engineer and kept THE MOST meticulous (other than mine) maintenance records I have ever seen. They date back to 1993 when he got the truck, they even include MPG numbers from EVERY fill up since 1993...no joke! I for one was happy to see that I am not the only one who meticulously cares for their cars, probably one of the reasons its sitting at 340K and still going.

I always hated how the American make cars of the 80s-early 90s only had speedometers that went to 85mph. Not that I needed it to go higher, it just always made them seem so...underachieving.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
I always hated how the American make cars of the 80s-early 90s only had speedometers that went to 85mph. Not that I needed it to go higher, it just always made them seem so...underachieving.

I thought that was a law that no factory speedometer went higher than 85. IIRC it was part of the same law that made them highlight 55 as well (shading, different color, etc).

I kind of liked it. The 85 speedo made use of the full sweep, unlike my 2006 Honda Odyssey with its 160 mph speedo. We only use the left side of it (0 to 80) 98% of the time. The right side of it (81 to 160) is essentially a waste of instrument cluster space.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I am sure. He got it from a family friend who is an engineer and kept THE MOST meticulous (other than mine) maintenance records I have ever seen. They date back to 1993 when he got the truck, they even include MPG numbers from EVERY fill up since 1993...no joke! I for one was happy to see that I am not the only one who meticulously cares for their cars, probably one of the reasons its sitting at 340K and still going.

That's fantastic! I can only hope I can hold out for that long. I've only got 116k miles on the Civic and 35k on the Foz; I've got a ways to go!

I have an '89 Ranger that my Dad bought new and sold to me in 2002 with 72,000 miles. It has the 2.9 Liter V6 with automatic transmission. Definitely low tech compared to today's trucks. I just turned it over 321,000 miles with original engine, transmission went at 269,000 debated about the rebuild then, now looking towards 400,000. I have done most of the maintenance. It has had regular fluid changes. Now for the part that interests me and this website. Oil changed at 3000 mile intervals until about 7 years ago when I adapted to 5,000 miles. Always dino, no synthetic except for some MotorCraft which I believe is a synthetic blend. Mostly 5W-30 but some 10W-30. Topped off between changes with whatever brand, including house brands, sometimes 30W in the summer. So mixed brands, mixed viscosities. Though I enjoy reading about motor oils, I am not certain that any oil meeting specs will not do the job. That is probably heresy to oil religion but it is my experience.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back