The Quality of New Cars Today

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
What's the quality of new cars like these days? Sure, there are supply problems, inflation and increased/excessive pricing, and a lack of choices available, but that's not what I'm getting at. Have all the problems we're having caused the quality of the new cars we can buy these days to diminish? Are new cars less reliable, less well-put-together, less dependable, than those we bought a few years ago, pre-pandemic?

There are still quality issues with vehicles-and some issues shouldn't even occur. However- vehicles today are more reliable than they have ever been. As a child I remember going to my Grandma's house during the summer and seeing cars over heated on the side on the road. That's almost unheard of today. I see very, very few vehicles broke down on the side of the road these days, and when I do it's almost always tire related. Tires are something owners really push these days due to the almost $1,000.00 replacement cost for many vehicles.

Last edited:
I would expect some decline, but it's really hard to say. The only thing I read that was a bit concerning was some of the line/shift changes during Covid. Whether that translates to lower quality is unknown.

Reactions: CKN
Comparatively I'm seeing a reduction in content which I would think would allow for comparatively better reliability but at a much steeper price.

Re: Paint Thinness: It may be Ford's attempt to boost fuel mileage by carrying less paint/product on the body metal/plastic.
Very clever of them.

Re: Paint Thinness: It may be Ford's attempt to boost fuel mileage by carrying less paint/product on the body metal/plastic.
Very clever of them.
I'd actually buy a vehicle made with an unpainted stainless steel body. You can take a Brillo pad to a Delorean.

There are still quality issues with vehicles-and some issues shouldn't even occur. However- vehicles today are more reliable than they have ever been. As a child I remember going to my Grandma's house during the summer and seeing cars over heated on the side on the road. That's almost unheard of today. I see very, very few vehicles broke down on the side of the road these days, and when I do it's almost always tire related. Tires are something owners really push these days due to the almost $1,000.00 replacement cost for many vehicles.
Back when A/C was first installed, it kept many cars cooled up to when the outside air temp hit the mid-80's, maybe the high 80's. Once the outside air temp got into the 90's, overheating was common.

As an individual, it's hard to gauge the reliability of today's cars vs. cars manufactured 10 or 20 years ago. If you bought a reliable car then the industry is doing a good job. If bought a new car that has issues, then reliability has gone down the drain from your perspective. For a specific model you're considering, searching owners' forums would be a good place to start.

Well if the average age of cars is an indicator, cars are more durable than they've ever been.

While this may not be a direct correlation to the quality of new cars, the fact that people willing to hold on to a vehicle for longer than ever before would imply a base standard of quality that is quite high.

It was a practically a miracle for a car to turn 100k+ miles before the mid to late 1980s.
I'll take today's quality levels over any other previous generation.

They are BY FAR safer!
Rest is more complicated to explain. Some companies are at forefront of innovation, therefore they will have more issues. Performance vehicles are by default less reliable bcs. numerous valid reasons. Time is moving as is innovation. Materials are better regardless that they might seem “thinner” etc.
But yes, some cars are less reliable. Things change. Companies change.

The 2021 GMC Sierra HD 6.6 gas that we ordered and picked up end of May 21 has had zero issues coming up on a year. 5500 miles on it with over 3000 towing a travel trailer.

Edit: forgot the steering wheel was clocked about 1 inch off, easy fix.

Back