The Quality of New Cars Today

Newer cars can be more complicating and more delicate.

The wire harness of my 2014 Kia seems very delicate is where I get that description from. And quite obviously the computers, variable valve timing, direct injection to name a few are more complicating. Well, even the headlight/taillight assembly are a much more complicating part.

You probably are interested in comparisons of build quality and reliability too. Not sure my observation clarifies any of that, but, I'd say if you have room and can afford it, have examples of both at the ready.

Good examples is what I mean, the older ones likely needing more maintenance when acquired, well the newer ones needing more research before acquiring. Of course, research on the older ones too before acquisition.

Seems all modern cars have paint issues.

The end result is more harm to the environment any way due to damage and cars being scrapped early or multiple repairs and repaints.
Not a single person has scrapped a car because of paint recently. If a car runs decent and even ugly someone will buy it. I see plenty of old Honda and Buick running around with horrific paint. People scrap vehicles because of expensive mechanical repairs or collisions.

Mechanically the cars are pretty good. Material wise, such as the interior, I would rank the quality lower. When it comes to fabric seats, for example, nothing today can ever come close to the quality of the fabric used in a Camry, Accord, or 626 in the 88-92 range. Thick, substantial, and bullet proof. Same with their carpets. Makes the fabric seats in my wife's 2108 Mazda 3 look like thin paper. On the outside now plastic chrome like trim rather than metal chrome trim. My 91 626 interior is immaculate and the fellow across the street with the 89 Camry is the same. One of several reasons while I will never have a car newer than 2004-05. My wife would as these fine details don't register with her.

Back