The price of motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
With crude oil, gasoline, heating oil, and jet fuel prices climbing almost every day (well, they were down a bit yesterday) anybody care to venture a guess as to why is there has not been a corresponding increase in the price of motor oil?

cool.gif
I think there has been a slight increase. My take is that it's basic supply and demand and there's a whole lot more demand for gasoline than there is for motor oil.

Funny, I was wondering the same thing. Could it have something to do with refining costs?

If motor oil prices do start to spike due the increase in crude prices will the "true synthetics" also increase in price or will they hold the line and become more price competitive?

The PAO synthetics better not increase in price cause that would be a bunch of bull****. Kinda interesting to see if certain ones will increase in price.

I can guarantee you that when the present stock of base oils are gone, the price will go up, including the synthetic oils.

If the price of crude stays high the price of motor oil will increase. It's pricing is just not as volatile as the price of fuels that are burned in large quantities and need constant replenishment. As new batches come into the market you will most likely see increased pricing. And in the case of Wally World they are most likely to mark up their existing stock bought at the lower prices. After all Wally World is for the little "workin" guy
grin.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm should clean out all the GC from my local Walmart this weekend!

Don't you have like 52 litres of GC on your shelf? I guess one can never have enough! lol Still can't find it around Middle TN anywhere. Guess I'll be stocking up on M1.

Totally off topic...is that M1 15w-50 Advanced formula still collecting dust at your WalMart? Just curious...

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm should clean out all the GC from my local Walmart this weekend!
fruit.gif

You're probably too late
tongue.gif
. Wally World has got it's crack programers and "compooters" cranking out the new pricing as we speak
grin.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
If the price of crude stays high the price of motor oil will increase. It's pricing is just not as volatile as the price of fuels that are burned in large quantities and need constant replenishment. As new batches come into the market you will most likely see increased pricing. And in the case of Wally World they are most likely to mark up their existing stock bought at the lower prices. After all Wally World is for the little "workin" guy
grin.gif

Whimsey

walmart is already increasing price on the dinos. gtx and pennzoil was 1.66..now it's 1.77/quart. havoline was 1.17..now it's 1.22/quart

Base oil prices have been creeping up over the past several months and I have noticed regular (non-sale) retail prices creeping up as well. $1.99 a quart is now the regular price for Castrol or Pennzoil dino at PepBoys. Synthetics and blends have so much extra profit margin built in to the price that they have not gone up yet.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Don't you have like 52 litres of GC on your shelf? I guess one can never have enough! lol

I've lost track of the exact number now, because I bought more recently but then I used 5 of them on Sunday to do my oil change. I've rearranged my oil shrine to make more room now anyways.
smile.gif

quote:

Totally off topic...is that M1 15w-50 Advanced formula still collecting dust at your WalMart? Just curious...

I think so. I haven't looked in the last couple of weeks, and they've shuffled the bottles into different locations, but I'm sure that old stuff is still there, buried in the back now probably. I often move them back to the front, but they still don't get bought, I guess the yellowish grey tinge on the bottle turns a lot of people off.
smile.gif
Those are real collector's items there!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I can guarantee you that when the present stock of base oils are gone, the price will go up, including the synthetic oils.

Why would the group IV/V motor oils go up? Is it due to carrier oils, additive costs, or just taking advantage of a free ride, so to speak.

Back when gas prices were under a buck per gallon, most brands of oil were near a buck, Supertech/Tech 2000 was 84 cents. So I could see it happen. I have two jugs of M1 at home, I suppose I should get some Havoline for the beater before it goes up.
frown.gif

-T

When in Rome, do as the Roman's do. That's is what's going to happen with the oil prices. Most people are geared for that because they know that the oil comes from the same hole in the ground, so why wouldn't it go up? Yep, free ride all the way, more profits. What gets me, when all these mega corporations post their profits at the end of they year, they are talking like ten's of millions. Why couldn't they lower the prices and reduce that profit to say....only..... just "ones" of millions. Man, I should have not been hung over during business classes in college
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back