"The Power of the Dog" movie

This is an Oscar nominated movie, that in my opinion is awful.
With a few exceptions the actors were low key with very little emotion as if they were sleep walking through their lines and I assume thats the way the director wanted it.
The plot was thin and confusing and went no where.
I endured the whole 2 hours hoping it would build and get better, it did not.
Nominated for 12 Academy awards!

I went to the movies yesterday for the first time in about 14 years; the last movie I saw was Ponyo.

20 cars in the lot; 2 others in the theater.

Got force fed a mind boggling number of trailers that were basically massive sensory overload one after another, Dog was one of them, HPotter and some Marvel thing were the others; lots of cliched movie lines

Any idea of a relaxing afternoon was shot before the movie even started.

Probably another 14 years before I go back; Dog looked interesting the but trailer had too much snarling and barking I couldn't stand it.

I went to the movies yesterday for the first time in about 14 years; the last movie I saw was Ponyo.

Got force fed a mind boggling number of trailers that were basically massive sensory overload one after another, Dog was one of them, HPotter and some Marvel thing were the others; lots of cliched movie lines

Probably another 14 years before I go back; Dog looked interesting the but trailer had too much snarling and barking I couldn't stand it.
Last movie I saw in a theater was Saving Private Ryan in 1998,great movie.
Now I watch movies on one of the 4 steaming services I have.
Snacks are cheaper.
Bath room 15 feet away.
Pause feature is great
And can bail if it's a bad flick

With a few exceptions the actors were low key with very little emotion as if they were sleep walking through their lines and I assume thats the way the director wanted it.
Dog movies evoke emotion on a human level. Christmas movies are competitions to see who can put the most shots of people walking their dog, Golden Retrievers are the best looking cutest dogs, sorry, in a movie.

A couple years ago, usually in Dump Month (January into Fentuary, also August into September..) there was a movie advertised, A Dog's Purpose. The audience is silent at the trailer, and usually looks away. The reason is simple... a bond will be formed between human and the canine, the dog will die, everyone will be sad, but the movie will say, the dog served its purpose. Nobody wants to hear that. We ALL are sad when our best friends die, and they are usually our pets.

Don't rely me on humans to make good movie choices, lol. I don't watch TV, an Awaed show is on TV.. I turn the radio when they talk about it on Pat & Stu..

Dog movies evoke emotion on a human level. Christmas movies are competitions to see who can put the most shots of people walking their dog, Golden Retrievers are the best looking cutest dogs, sorry, in a movie.

A couple years ago, usually in Dump Month (January into Fentuary, also August into September..) there was a movie advertised, A Dog's Purpose. The audience is silent at the trailer, and usually looks away. The reason is simple... a bond will be formed between human and the canine, the dog will die, everyone will be sad, but the movie will say, the dog served its purpose. Nobody wants to hear that. We ALL are sad when our best friends die, and they are usually our pets.

Don't rely me on humans to make good movie choices, lol. I don't watch TV, an Awaed show is on TV.. I turn the radio when they talk about it on Pat & Stu..
This movie has nothing to do with Dogs.
Even the title is dumb.

"20 cars in the lot; 2 others in the theater."

Was this a sit down and drive in theatre combined?

@measureman, what are your top movies?
Platoon
Forest Gump
Shashank redemption
Donnie Brasco
Driving Miss Daisy
Godfather 1&2
A Bronx Tale
Patton
Bridge over the river Kwai
Saving Private Ryan
Band Of Brothers
Just to name a few.
In no particular order
I like war and gangster movies mostly.
Lots of action.
Was this a trick question?

I watched Power of the Dog, my wife was away in Florida - normally she's with me and we discuss the show as it progresses - so I was left wondering *** for a while after the ending. I agree that there were clues that the viewer wouldn't know to pay attention to in order to better understand the directors or writers intention. From what I read later, this was a movie that really stuck to the authors book, and rewarded those who read it before...everyone else, not so much.

That this movie is going to win says more about how Covid has affected the movie industry. IMHO.

The kid is studying to be a doctor.
The main guy is harming his mom.
He sees the steer die of poisoning.
He takes advantage of the main guy's hidden desires to get close.
The guy is making him a lasso.
The guy dies from poisoning.
The kid handles the lasso with gloves.
Wow, what an incredible plan, executed to perfection!

Well the movie apparently was not well understood by many viewers.

The plot was not confusing and while promoting that lifestyle, unlike most things from Hollywood, at least they didn't lecture the audience about the virtues of said lifestyle. Which would have just been too flamboyant given the era of the setting.

The rest of the plot was, indeed, thin.

If you know what I mean.

Thought it was going yo turn into a movie about shall we say, the main characters sexual preferences. Didn't like it at all. I was surprised at all the positive reviews.

The kid is studying to be a doctor.
The main guy is harming his mom.
He sees the steer die of poisoning.
He takes advantage of the main guy's hidden desires to get close.
The guy is making him a lasso.
The guy dies from poisoning.
The kid handles the lasso with gloves.
Wow, what an incredible plan, executed to perfection!
Flowers For Algernon/Charly/Phenomenon?

Now THOSE (same movie) were tearjerkers...

Back