The Poor Man's GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I discovered Shell's viscosity calculator, I've been glued to the computer (what I'm embarrassed to say
blush.gif
) most of the night. Anyway check this out:

Havoline 10W-30:
10.8 cst @ 100C
74.0 cst @ 40C

Havoline 10W-40
14.8 cst @ 100C
104. cst @ 40C

Final Viscosity:
12.3 cst @ 100C
84.8 cst @ 40C
Viscosity Index: 141
===============

Havoline 10W-30:
10.8 cst @ 100C
74.0 cst @ 40C

Havoline 20W-50
19.0 cst @ 100C
176. cst @ 40C

Final Viscosity:
12.1 cst @ 100C
88.0 cst @ 40C
Viscosity Index: 131

What surprised me the most was the difference in viscosity index numbers.
smile.gif

[ August 29, 2006, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Clyde65 ]

Poor man's GC, you ask? You (of all people) should know...

API SL/SJ, ACEA A3/B3/B4, BMW LL01/98, VW502.00/505.00, MB229.3/229.1

...which oil meets those specs and has been free all summer long...

MAXLIFE! 10w30 Syn.

Clyde65, here's a couple of tips for you.

When mixing dinos with various VIIs, that visc calculator isn't going to be as accurate as with synths that use very little and the same VII.

What makes GC great is not strictly it's viscosity and VI.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
What makes GC great is not strictly it's viscosity and VI.

I agree, but given that Havoline is the number 1 dino right now and GC being the number 1 syn, I thought it would be cool to mix an oil that would at least replicate GC's viscosity in a dino version.

Clyde has no access to Maxlife Synth.

Number one dino? Just b/c it has moly?
confused.gif

No Clyde, I'm not just picking on you....
grin.gif

He can't have the last jug at my Wally-World! I'm saving that for a trip there w/o the wifey! It's hidden behind some regular Maxlife...
grin.gif

Good point 427Z06: The viscosity blending calculator is for base oils, e.g, oils that do not have VII added to them. Still we're probably getting ballpark figures.

Clyde: If your computer is ever down, just whip out the old TI-31 pocket calculator and the blended viscosity is the antilog of the weighted average of the logs of the viscosities in the mix.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Havoline may be #1 in length of service & engine cleanliness, but for low wear rates & least consumption, I'll grab Pennzoil or Castrol instead.

I've looked at a bunch of Hav UOA's, and found great results. Also found great results, as you stated, from Castrol and Pennz. Is this a strong opinion of yours, or do you have some facts I'm not finding? I really want to know, since I've chosen Hav for the life of a new (to me) Rendezvous.

Just my findings beanoil - from personal use on five driveway vehicles and reading UOAs here. Consumption & engine sound are my two biggest concerns with dino oils. I change em' at 3K so cleanliness and oil life/length of service is not a priority with me.

Thx for the tip.. I'll have to keep an eye on consumption, (like THAT will be hard- I'm so obsessive!). I'll be monitoring wear when I look for coolant contamination from the dreaded 3.4 intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back