The polar vortex is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
AKA - normal winter weather.

I still have to tape up the windows in the apartment and equip vehicles with snow tires.

AND get the axle swapped on my Jeep

It seems like last winter just ended.
smile.gif

Seriously, why should we be tortured again?

I have an observation: I have a mature walnut tree in my property, the 2013 crop of walnuts was quite large - these will dent your car as the squirrels or gravity work to release them.

This year, the crop was less than 10% of normal. I figure that Mother Nature must either hate sqirrels or she has a milder winter planned for this year.

Anyone think I'm nuts
grin.gif

makes me glad I put full Syn and Filters w/ Silicone ADBV's in both Cars for the winter.

and doubly glad a bought myself a car with traction control, abs, and butt warmers(ie: Heated Seats). That last one really helps make my 5 mi commute more tolerable, as the engine really only gets warm enough to make heat 1/2 way to work.

Right now it's 80-90 degrees in S Cal, winds from the desert but we're getting ready for winter, too. Rumor is that it will be as frigid as last year. That means temps down into the 40's at night. We're prepared. We know that you must at times during the night to roll up your windows while driving down the freeway to prevent a chill. Last year it got so cold we had to close the sliding glass door on the bedroom several times. I'm going to check the heater like I do every year just in case we have to use it. I turn it on to make sure it works and observe the flame and check the thermostat and always remember to clean the filter even though it always looks like new. I just hope it never goes below 40 at night because then we'd have to break out the quilt.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Seriously, why should we be tortured again?

I have an observation: I have a mature walnut tree in my property, the 2013 crop of walnuts was quite large - these will dent your car as the squirrels or gravity work to release them.

This year, the crop was less than 10% of normal. I figure that Mother Nature must either hate sqirrels or she has a milder winter planned for this year.

Anyone think I'm nuts
grin.gif

That's odd. My cars were getting pelted this year with acorns. I don't recall this being that bad in the past.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Polar Vortex = the latest term for winter cold snap.

It's not a "winter cold snap"; it's the coldest air in the northern hemisphere which typically stays at the north pole, getting shunted to the eastern half of the US. It's not something that typically happens. It's not a new term, it's a scientific reality. Both poles have the coldest air on Earth for obvious reasons which contain normally stationary cyclones that typically don't retreat that far from the poles.

Originally Posted By: Guitarmageddon

Hahah agreed.

Just another word liberals ginned up to explain....well.....explain no problem at all. Gotta stay relevant I suppose though....

Maybe its because cory gardner banned birth control....and wierded our weather?

[censored] are you talking about? No, it's not liberals who point out weather phenomena like this, it's mostly anti-global warming advocates like Joe Bastaardi and John Coleman who I agree with.

Why are you bringing up condoms? Dimentia???

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Polar Vortex = the latest term for winter cold snap...for us Canadians...cold is a relative term for us...once our second winter skin is on, we are still wearing a sweater by the time everyone else has long been wearing full parkas...our blood has evolved the equivalent of antifreeze in our veins.

It's not a "winter cold snap"; it's the coldest air in the northern hemisphere which typically stays at the north pole, getting shunted to the eastern half of the US. It's not something that typically happens. It's not a new term, it's a scientific reality. Both poles have the coldest air on Earth for obvious reasons which contain normally stationary cyclones that typically don't retreat that far from the poles.

Sorry...I edited it for accuracy.

Thats pretty funny OneEyeJack. Down here in the deep South last year we had several snowstorms, ice fiascos and temps down in single digits for quite a few days. Needless to say this area had all kind of broken pipes, accidents, etc due to the winter. I certainly hope we do not have a repeat of last year.

Of course it is unless your some sort of a fruitcake. LOL
Oh no, oh no, its winter and its getting cold! It must be the Polar Vortex. Vollidioten!

First we are going up in a burning ball of fire now a few years later we are going out freezing our nuts off.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Guitarmageddon

Hahah agreed.

Just another word liberals ginned up to explain....well.....explain no problem at all. Gotta stay relevant I suppose though....

Maybe its because cory gardner banned birth control....and wierded our weather?

[censored] are you talking about? No, it's not liberals who point out weather phenomena like this, it's mostly anti-global warming advocates like Joe Bastaardi and John Coleman who I agree with.

Why are you bringing up condoms? Dimentia???

Didn't cha know, this is really a (certain type of) political site with a car/oil problem??
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back