The percentage of electric-vehicle owners in the US who switch back to gas is shrinking

Once city folk are sucked in to the electric vehicle & all the special privileges that cities are currently offering the converts, it’s easy to see why. I’d expect if you look at the raw data that you’d see a huge shift in this number showing the “retainment” of EV drivers is nearly exclusive to large cities.
What do you define as "large cities?"

IMO, if your daily travels are less than 100 miles, you have reliable L2 charging at home and you rarely take trips longer than 200 miles (or have a gas vehicle for those purposes), you are a pretty good candidate for an EV. 95% of my immediate friends and acquaintances fit into this profile and of those who have converted, are very happy with their decision.

Only one problem with this story, the US Government is not making it cheaper to buy EVs.
The US taxpayer is.
and ..
I am still looking for a number that tells me the percentages on a yearly national basis.
Example = "Between 2021 and 2022, the share of EV owners who went back to gas cars decreased by around 17%" and where does that leave us, what percentage went back?

Also I cant not find those same words in any of the article but appear for the link. Saying shrank from 52% (which to me is sky high) to 35% (which is still sky high)

Ok, so why not show the actual numbers in the story? Im not saying anything against the story, but I dont need to be told "by around 17%"
I would just like to know the percentages and time frame they are using not their interpretation. I mean, its void of facts and sounds a little sanitized.
I do think as the legacy makers get in on the game, prices come down and availability up that EVs make sense for many people possibly as a second car. Does not make sense if you care about strip mining and damage to the environment which will be on a scale unseen in modern times.
( just my opinion and no one really cares until it becomes a "thing")

Last edited:
IMO, if your daily travels are less than 100 miles, you have reliable L2 charging at home and you rarely take trips longer than 200 miles (or have a gas vehicle for those purposes), you are a pretty good candidate for an EV. 95% of my immediate friends and acquaintances fit into this profile and of those who have converted, are very happy with their decision.
Ya. It's not rocket science.

Once city folk are sucked in to the electric vehicle & all the special privileges that cities are currently offering the converts, it’s easy to see why. I’d expect if you look at the raw data that you’d see a huge shift in this number showing the “retainment” of EV drivers is nearly exclusive to large cities.
I wonder what the retainment of cars in general are - given you can't find much on the lot and the price is crazy.

I actually want an electric car, I just don't want to pay double a comparable ICE, and I don't need my taxes subsidizing your electric car.

Very biased report. I would expect it came out of California. The only EV's I see around here are on cars with New England license plates.

Not difficult to find where the data came from. It's literally right in the article: S&P Global Mobility.

S&P, aka Standard & Poor's, aka S&P Global. Like, the same S&P Global that does the index funds and also the largest credit rating agency.

Not really the type of company that is known for bias. Actually, their reputation is based on a lack of bias.

Or is it just biased because you don't like what it says?

Not difficult to find where the data came from. It's literally right in the article: S&P Global Mobility.

S&P, aka Standard & Poor's, aka S&P Global. Like, the same S&P Global that does the index funds and also the largest credit rating agency.

Not really the type of company that is known for bias. Actually, their reputation is based on a lack of bias.

Or is it just biased because you don't like what it says?
It was a question, obviously. You have to see the raw data to make a valid observation. Having dealt with production statistics for a major publicly traded company, I can tell you it’s not difficult at all to cherry-pick data and be entirely truthful in what you present, while being completely opaque in telling the actual story.

I just think geographic data would tell a story of a huge difference. That’s all; I don’t really have an opinion because I don’t fit into either group and never will.

Lets see how happy they are with their decision in 8 years or when the battery warranty is up and they are moaning about the 20K+ replacement battery because the vehicle wont go 20 miles and has 0 value because of it. Time will tell and I cant wait to hear the horror stories. LOL

Articles like this are pretty lame unless they tell the whole story. Years ago, Nissan sold a lot of Leafs which had poor range and batteries that lost capacity in a short time, rendering even worse range. I would go back to gas too.
Another group bought EVs and found they were a poor fit for their use case, mainly charging. Apartment dwellers were generally only able to use commercial charging.
At a minimum, the article needs to break down the numbers by make and reason for going back to ICE.

Ask a Tesla owner about their car. Owners love 'em. I will buy another.

Last edited:
And that would be large cities in California.

Only $14,000 to replace the battery on a 60K mile Ford. No thank you.
The writing is on the wall, this is going to be a huge problem! It will probably have little effect on the people that can afford a new one and trade it in before the tires are worn out or the ash try is full but its going to ruin lower/middle class used car buyers (that is the plan anyway, put them on mass transit that doesnt exist in many places and never will).
IMO EV should be sold as an alternative for those who want them and are willing to pay for them along with regular gas and diesel cars.

This came to mind today, much of America is now used to cards going well over 100,000 miles.
It will be interesting to see what the ultimate resale value with be with E/V cars, Im assuming there will be low demand, except those that might only use the car for supermarket runs they may be a bargain. Im not saying good or bad, only interesting.

The only reason I purchased a Jaguar F-Type gasoline burner, is that there are NO convertible EV's I can afford. Sure, it's an epic-fun car, but clearly an EV version could be even more fun. With an ultra low center of gravity and massive acceleration. Although on a full tank I can go 450 miles on the highway, at very high speeds, without stopping. At the moment, that's not possible with EV sports cars.

Back