The opposite of Scotty Kilmer- gentleman replacing grease boot on lower control arm

He is a little like you, where he knows his way around these cars and has the proper tools for the job!

I like the tool box, very organize.

Clean shop. Organized. Tools in good condition. Uses SDS/XENTRY to properly depressurize the strut. Follows factory manual for procedure.

Yep.

Complete opposite of Scotty, and frankly, of many internet "mechanics".

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu!

Last edited:
I didn't spend 12 minutes watching the video. But I re-booted several BMW ball joints in my 20 yrs of E 28 ownership. :cool:

Can someone explain the purpose of such a repair/maintenance procedure?

I see this procedure as a waste of time/resources given the ball joint is probably at about 1/2 life (at most).
And to replace the joint, it'll come with new boots anyway
🤷‍♂️

I see this procedure as a waste of time/resources given the ball joint is probably at about 1/2 life (at most).
🤷‍♂️
I don't believe you can just get a ball joint, it's the whole assembly.

That is some green grease he is using.
It’s Mercedes wheel bearing grease, a Fuchs product. I’d use moly EP grease or a EP calcium sulfonate grease instead.

And Scotty Kilmer, meh. He’s good for AutoZone shareholders and Forrest Lucas’ bank account.

It’s Mercedes wheel bearing grease, a Fuchs product. I’d use moly EP grease or a EP calcium sulfonate grease instead.

And Scotty Kilmer, meh. He’s good for AutoZone shareholders and Forrest Lucas’ bank account.

Not to be confused with George Lucas, the founder of Lucas oil, Forrest Lucas owns a film production company.
If you have Netflix and are bored, watch his Wheels Of Fortune film. Yes, Lucas advertising is all over the movie.

🤷‍♂️
It’s a 4Matic (AWD) model. The ball joint is integral to the lower control arm. The one arm lists for about $250.

So, well worth a reboot, particularly since the reboot doesn’t require an alignment.

Replacing the part, as you suggest, has both the cost for the full control arm and the required subsequent alignment.

That pushes the repair to around $400.

Reactions: GON
It’s a 4Matic (AWD) model. The ball joint is integral to the lower control arm. The one arm lists for about $250.

So, well worth a reboot, particularly since the reboot doesn’t require an alignment.

Replacing the part, as you suggest, has both the cost for the full control arm and the required subsequent alignment.

That pushes the repair to around $400.
So a $12 boot and a few hours time is well worth it.

Reactions: GON
Back