The one thing I wish Amsoil would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I wish Amsoil would do is obtain that API starburst symbol to put on the containers of Amsoil oil. I think Amsoil is a good synthetic oil, and Amsoil always seems to have good results in UOAs. And maybe the API symbol's value is overrated, but when you buy a new car it says in your owner's manual that you have to use the correct viscosity, and an oil that has that starburst symbol on it.

That is a problem with the German Castrol, as well.

I don't know. I doubt that anybody would have problems with Amsoil, anyway. But if something did go wrong, could the car dealer say,'You did not use API approved oils'?

It costs money to get that API approval, but is it not worth it?

I'm glad Amsoil doesn't get full certified API. The API restricts what you can do in terms of additives. I think one aspect that makes Amsoil unique is that they don't cater to anyone and try and build the best oils with the best materials out there. They use higher levels of ZDDP in there oils, hence the lack of API, but I'd rather have more then less considering the whole CAT poisioning issue is pretty weak, especially if you use low volatile ZDDP. If you want a fully API Cert. oil, use Mobil 1 which is as good.
smile.gif

I think I need to add that there are some Amsoil oils that do have the API startburst-I think those oils are called XL7500 or something like that. But those oils are apparently Group III and different then the typical Amsoil synthetic oils.

Technically, you need to use products that meet the specifications in your owner's manual to maintain warranty coverage, including API licensed oil when called for. Practically, I don't think there will ever be a problem using a quality unlicensed oil.

Amsoil chooses to use a formulation that does not meet the specs to qualify for API licensing.

Ken

quote:

I wish Amsoil would make a 5W-40 or a 0W-40 oil, something I could use all year round in my parents' Passat V6...

Why not use their 0w-30, 5w-30 or 10w-40? Amsoil's 30wt viscosities are on the heavier side of the scale. Mobil 1 makes a 0w-40 and I doubt if Amsoil made one it would be any better. Any 0w-40 will have the same characteristics as M1.

I'll run Motul 8100 0W-40 in the Passat, and may decide to run it in my car as well. It's ester based and has a higher HTHS than the Mobil 1. I'm sure it's better...

My 1 us gallon of 5W30 of AMSOIL on the front label has a star and it says inside the star
API Service SL-CF.I put 4 1/2 qt in my 4.3L chevy S-10 back on 7-3-03.I orderd from their website.

The most exspensive oil change because i had changed it with Havoline 10W30 synthetic just a 1000 miles prior.
I read my owners manual it said prefer you use 5W30 you can use 10W30.A friend of mine is a tranny parts salesman.He told me about Amsoil 10 years ago.Wanted to try ZMAX did google search FTC says its mineral oil--somehow i ended up at Amsoli site read for an hour bought after i came to conclusion that it's worth a try.

I did see the additive test on this site.It looked like a informercial But with different results than what you see on tv.

Lucky for me my Toyota Owner Manual only reads API after the words "We Recommend"!! Recommend and requires are totaly different. I will have to get the exact wording latter. We are moveing into our first house so we are busy. It needs some cleaning and some paint before we can move in!!

I'm 50 years old.Been changing oil since 1968.I had a 1974 340 Dodge Challenger.I always used Castrol 20W50 GTX in my car.
That oil is different than what is formulated today.We have a good radio show on saturday mornings here.Sam Melmono.He says use the rec. oil.I say fine.

A Stroker thats a different story.You need to see what they say that they would rec.

Website says they were the 1st to develop an API rated 100% synthetic motor oil.

www.amsoil.com

The Star on the label has 36 points on it.I can't believe i just counted them LOL.Been seeing it on oil products for years.

The following is a direct quote from the Amsoil website.

Will AMSOIL Motor Oils void the warranty of a new vehicle?

Absolutely not! Manufacturers’ warranties are based upon the use of oils meeting specific API Service Classifications, for example, SJ/CF. (AMSOIL lubricants meet the current API Service requirements and, thus, are perfectly suited for use in any new vehicle without affecting the validity of the new vehicle warranty.

So why doesn't Amsoil have the API star?

quote:

Originally posted by mulepacker:
The following is a direct quote from the Amsoil website.

Will AMSOIL Motor Oils void the warranty of a new vehicle?

Absolutely not! Manufacturers’ warranties are based upon the use of oils meeting specific API Service Classifications, for example, SJ/CF. (AMSOIL lubricants meet the current API Service requirements and, thus, are perfectly suited for use in any new vehicle without affecting the validity of the new vehicle warranty.

So why doesn't Amsoil have the API star?

Because it is not API certified. They alone claim they meet API certification.

[ October 09, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: badnews ]

Some Amsoil oils are certified, some are not.

ALL exceed the very minimal API performance specifications. Not sure why no mention of Redline not being "certified".

Also, not sure why people (other than Mr. Browning) are not mentioning the true words in their owners manuals.
All mine say words and I quote: "Meeting API performance specification......synthetic oils complying with oil quality requirements are recommended..." No words even say non-API oils will void the warranty, only: "Oil with a different quality rating may not provide adequate engine protection"

I started using ASL (Amsoil full synthetic 5W-30) pretty early in my cars life. I did not consider it "a risk", in fact, quite the opposite.

Buster posted this a few days back:

Amsoil comments on API

Edit: Badnews, Amsoil only claims "certification" on the oils they are API certified on, so I'm not sure what you are angling for.

[ October 09, 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
The one thing I wish Amsoil would do is obtain that API starburst symbol to put on the containers of Amsoil oil. I think Amsoil is a good synthetic oil, and Amsoil always seems to have good results in UOAs. And maybe the API symbol's value is overrated, but when you buy a new car it says in your owner's manual that you have to use the correct viscosity, and an oil that has that starburst symbol on it.

That is a problem with the German Castrol, as well.

All the star burst symbol means is energy conserving.

Thats why you don't see 40w or 50w with the StarBurst.

As long the oil meets the recommend standard SL/SJ or what ever it will be fine.

99% of techs in dealership will not question oil.
Ask them what the current rating is, they most likely don't know.

CRW

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
And that is why I think Amsoil should get API certification for all of their oils. Many people who have new cars would not use an Amsoil oil because of the lack of the API symbol.

At 150k to 300k per API test depending on gas or diesel and with Amsoil reformulating every 2 years it would definitely add to the cost of the oil to the consumer which I believe to be a bigger obstical than the lack of API licensing. Plus the fact that the additives would be more restrictive.

I have seen no evidence that Amsoil doesn't exceed the minimum standards set by API and I suspect most people who purchase Amsoil do so because of word of mouth about its quality. Trying to sell a Jiffy Lube customer on it is near impossible as they are conditioned to accept 3k oil changes and can't see spending the extra for synthetics. I agree for 3k oil changes. As an example, look at all the users in this forum who do oil analysis's at only 3k and 5k with or without synthetic even though their manual states 7500-10,000 mile intervals on dino. Most of those doing analysis are just playing with it for entertainment reasons and are not really doing it for the reasons it was intended.

I also see no reason for Amsoil to certify their oil.

Amsoil oils do meet or exceed the API certification, no need to worry about denial of warranty. I would feel more confident using Amsoil than I would most of the Certified "energy conserving" oils out there.

BTW that is the only reason for the certification is to get the "energy conserving" seal on the front. The only reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back