The older PulsTech XC100-P model

Good morning. On the older XC100-P charger what It is the float voltage measured after the battery reaches 100% charge? Can someone in the forum do the measurement?

My buddy’s newer pulsetech XC400 puts out 14.5V float voltage which is high. My BatteryMinder 12117 charger puts out a 13.5V float which is perfect for my odyssey AGM battery.

IMG_7178.jpeg

I use one of the little NOCO GENIUS1 chargers (https://no.co/genius1), and mine measures 12.97 all of the time. The NOCO seems like a great little charger. My battery is the stock battery that came with my 2019 Toyota Tacoma when I bought the truck brand new.

I have my XC100-P connected to my other car, and the voltage measures 13.91. This battery is a standard "maintenance free" battery I bought from WalMart but it is NOT an AGM.

Both chargers are connected 24/7/365 whenever the vehicles are parked in the garage.

Ed

You can do your own measurement with this inexpensive tool. I have this along with the app on my phone and can monitor charge status at any time I am within bluetooth range. I have connected various battery minders to follow their charging algorithm and float charge. It also monitors your starting voltage and alternator output with tests you can conduct.

There are a number of different ones sold on eBay, they all use the same free app:

Be aware on the app to turn off the location services...there were some concerns with how it tracks you, but you can simply turn it off. There was some other stuff the app had that people (users) were concerned with privacy wise, but the app company removed them after the negative publicity.

You can do your own measurement with this inexpensive tool. I have this along with the app on my phone and can monitor charge status at any time I am within bluetooth range. I have connected various battery minders to follow their charging algorithm and float charge. It also monitors your starting voltage and alternator output with tests you can conduct.

There are a number of different ones sold on eBay, they all use the same free app:

Be aware on the app to turn off the location services...there were some concerns with how it tracks you, but you can simply turn it off. There was some other stuff the app had that people (users) were concerned with privacy wise, but the app company removed them after the negative publicity.
A great find. I am planning to make a purchase but u guys are driving me crazy since I have no more room on the battery clamp to attach a third wire.

I have a 12v SAE cable and a PulseTech desulfator already attached to the battery terminal clamps.

When I go for my annual state automotive inspection the service technician is going to raise his eye brow and say ***.

lol

A great find. I am planning to make a purchase but u guys are driving me crazy since I have no more room on the battery clamp to attach a third wire.

I have a 12v SAE cable and a PulseTech desulfator already attached to the battery terminal clamps.

When I go for my annual state automotive inspection the service technician is going to raise his eye brow and say ***.

lol
Take the 12vt SAE cable and snip off the ring mounts, and splice both the SAE cable and Vgate onto a new set of ring mounts (sharing one set of ring mounts). Problem solved, problem stayin' solved.

I use one of the little NOCO GENIUS1 chargers (https://no.co/genius1), and mine measures 12.97 all of the time. The NOCO seems like a great little charger. My battery is the stock battery that came with my 2019 Toyota Tacoma when I bought the truck brand new.

I have my XC100-P connected to my other car, and the voltage measures 13.91. This battery is a standard "maintenance free" battery I bought from WalMart but it is NOT an AGM.

Both chargers are connected 24/7/365 whenever the vehicles are parked in the garage.

Ed
Ed, I took the chance and purchased a XC400 charger and hooked it to my AGM 24F that had been on a Batteryminder charger for 24hrs.
The purpose is to determine the XC100-P vs XC400 differences.

It took 7 min to charge from 75% to 100% capacity. Previously the battery was fully charged. Below is a pic taken in the morning. Surprisingly the output voltage was 14.8v. Once reaching 100%, I started my measurements. The charging led is now off and the three leds are pulse racing.

Time(PM) float voltage
5:15 13.50v
6:15 13.80v
7:15 13.97v
8:15 14.05v

Switched back to the BatteryMinder 13.5v since Odyssey tech says float should be 13.5 to 13.7

IMG_7179.jpeg

Last edited:

The other nice thing about this product is it can produce a charging profile (graphically) over 1, 7 or 15 days on your phone via the app.

This is the one I am using, but they all seem to be similar and the apps (though different) have similar features.
This has settings for flooded, AGM or Lithium batteries in the app.

Last edited:
Ed, I took the chance and purchased a XC400 charger and hooked it to my AGM 24F that had been on a Batteryminder charger for 24hrs.
The purpose is to determine the XC100-P vs XC400 differences.

It took 7 min to charge from 75% to 100% capacity. Previously the battery was fully charged. Below is a pic taken in the morning. Surprisingly the output voltage was 14.8v. Once reaching 100%, I started my measurements. The charging led is now off and the three leds are pulse racing.

Time(PM) float voltage
5:15 13.50v
6:15 13.80v
7:15 13.97v
8:15 14.05v
Stopped the XC400 float

Switched back to the BatteryMinder 13.5v since Odyssey tech says float should be 13.5 to 13.7

View attachment 195467
Update:
Saturday 12/30/23 7:15AM
BatteryMinder float is 13.62v and higher than the 13.5v prior to using the XC400 for 3hrs.

Has the ambient temperature dropped? Remember the battery minder is constantly temperature compensating with the ambient temperature, so voltage will rise and fall in small increments. With my data logging bluetooth battery tester, I can watch over a 15 day graph the charging voltage of my battery minder and see the voltage go up and down, matching the temperature drop at night and rise during the day. I can also see the seasonal changes as the voltage rises in the fall and winter and lowers in the spring and summer.

Has the ambient temperature dropped? Remember the battery minder is constantly temperature compensating with the ambient temperature, so voltage will rise and fall in small increments. With my data logging bluetooth battery tester, I can watch over a 15 day graph the charging voltage of my battery minder and see the voltage go up and down, matching the temperature drop at night and rise during the day. I can also see the seasonal changes as the voltage rises in the fall and winter and lowers in the spring and summer.
The Batteryminder 12117 does not have temperature compensation so it remains at a constant voltage. I read that the new BatteryMinders with temperature compensation outputs <13.5v float as a long term safety concern.

Back