The oils I've used in my Audi for the past 124k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a '96 A4 with the 2.8 12v engine.

1. I have no idea what the factory fill was - some say it was a synthetic...

2. The dealer wanted to go with 20W-50 dino oil during the included maintenance, but I brought them 5W-50 Castrol Syntec. I used Syntec for about 90k miles with very good results. The oil stayed clean-looking for at least 7500 miles, and the engine barely burned any oil. I kept the oil topped off with less than 1/2 a quart during oil change intervals.

3. I've been running M1 0W-40 for about 10k miles, and this oil darkens a lot faster compared to the Castrol 5W-50. I also seem to need more oil with the Mobil 1. I've never had an oil analysis done, so I can't say if the "fake" synthetic is possibly better than the real synthetic Mobil.

I'm now looking at Amsoil, Neo, and Pentosin 5W-40 as other options.

I too have noticed a lot more consumption with Mobil 1 in general. You've seen the consumption probably because of the 50 weight of the Syntec rather over the 40 of the M-1 (all else being equal).

I'm currently using the 5-50 and have seen the same as yourself with respect to oil cleanliness over many miles and dramatically diminished consumption. I too have not had an oil analysis, but have no qualms whatsover in recommending it. Not only that, I've noticed better cleaning ability too.

We need to get over this "fake" synthetic thing as every OTC synth. is Group III and the tests/reports have shown it to be almost as good as PAO's...and then there's always the addative package....

You are using a very good oil now. I would do an analysis on it. What oil filter are you using? You may need to add some mobil 1 15w-50 to reduce consuption. Amsoil is very good also and tends to be thicker than Mobil 1 so may be a good choice.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
We need to get over this "fake" synthetic thing as every OTC synth. is Group III and the tests/reports have shown it to be almost as good as PAO's...and then there's always the addative package....

I have yet to see any group 3 synthetics go with 10k + intervals and look as good as the true synthetics do.

I'm using only OEM filters (Bosch, Mann, Mahle).

I'm not sure if the Syntec 5W-50 is really that much thicker than the M1 0W-40. I hear both oils thin out to about a 30.

I was considering M1 15W-50, but I keep hearing it's overkill. Then again, the 2.8 12v is not the latest engine design, so the higher viscosity might be of advantage, especially when considering that I got over 120k miles on the motor.

quote:

I've been running M1 0W-40 for about 10k miles, and this oil darkens a lot faster compared to the Castrol 5W-50.

It's my understanding that when an oil gets dark it means that it is doing a good job cleaning. I don't think Syntec would do this bc it has less or no esters.

Good point. I know that the darkening of oil is normal and not indicative of the oil wearing out, but I'm not sure that an oil that does not darken means it's not working. If there were buildup, I think at least some of it would end up in the oil and darken it, too. Again, the Castrol 5W-50 stayed abnormally long light in color - to the point where my mechanic was wondering if I had made an oil change in between.
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

Huh? Every OTC synthetic is Group III? On what planet?

Here on Earth Mobil 1 isn't Group III. The German Syntec isn't Group III.
grin.gif

I have the same engine on my '96 Passat(VR6) and you are right about using a 0W-40 weight oil. My manual shows only xW-40 and xW-50 weight oil when temps are over 60*F and it must meet A3/B3 standards. They have two separate charts, one with "Energy Conserving Oils" and the other with out. None of the "Energy Conserving Oils" including the xW-40 are recommending above 60*F. It also has an * below the chart stating "do not use 5w-30 oil if maintaining high speds for long intervals" or something like that. The Mobil 1 0W-40 is a perfect match for that engine and much easier to find than the Synpower 5w-40 that many VW fans are using.

I am using Mobil 1 0w-40 in a VW.
Love it.
So far Terry is happy with the UOA.

However it does tend to darken its colour very quickly and this is in a new car. ( 9,000 ) Kms.

On this planet. Why is it when we ask what other readily available OTC oil besides M-1 is a PAO, everyone answers....none...not Q.S., not Penzoil, not Valvoline, not Havoline, etc., etc...

Secondly, no I don't agree that an oil turns dark because it is "cleaning" per se. Yes, it will darken if an engine is dirty, but by enlarge, it is darkening because the oil is COOKING. It is being broken down, baking and degrading. So the oil staying clean longer is a good thing...Why? Because it means you won't need auto-rx down the road! This is precisely why 30 weight oil suck for long intervals...

And, no Molacule already pointed out that ALL synthetics (incl. Group III) have esters in them...why do you think Syntec smells like Tide?

I will post a UOA on Syntec 5-50 after 10k mi. just to make you guys happy...even though I believe they DO NOT show the whole picture...

dagmando, you say you have the VR6 engine? That would be a narrow angle V6, mine's just the regular V6.
wink.gif

You will consume a little more M1 in the beginning then it will gradually taper off. It has something to do with switching the oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back