The official introduction thread: It's home!

Well, today was the big day. My buddy and I trailered the bike down from Rice, MN on Monday evening and I rode her home from his place tonight, about 25 miles. Before I left, everything was checked as I didn't have an opportunity to do so at the seller's place besides the basics. The air suspension was flat (to be expected) and the tires were a bit off, otherwise she was ready to go. Set the tires at 35 front and 40 rear, and the suspension at 14 front and about 38 rear.

I have to say, I love this thing. Other than my rusty riding skills, it was a brilliant ride. I can't believe how nice this thing goes down the road, bumps and expansion grooves just disappear under that pillow of air. 65-70 MPH the entire way and it was happy as a pig in slop. I still have lots of learning to do, and a few little odds and ends to get it to where I want it when riding becomes more of a regular thing, but I'm extremely happy for the price I paid. I need something new to detail, anyways. May I present:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's awesome! Love that classic style. Reminds me of the days when I would pore over motorcycle magazines and dream...

That's a great bike and looks like it should clean up real nice. So cool to find one like that unmolested. Only suggestion I have is take it somewhere and have the carbs synchronized, you may think it's smooth now, just wait. Hard to believe that bike is 40 years old.

Only street bike I ever owned was just like this, a CB750k. Sold it after 1 year when I decided my son needed a dad more than I needed a street bike. You've got a gem, be safe.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably want to keep it stock but fyi a good 4 into 1 megaphone, pod filters, and a Dynojet kit will add to the top end rush. My 1982 CB750F would keep up and sometimes roll past newer sport bikes (in the mid-90's).

Good that the bike was found and bought by someone like you that will use and appreciate the old girl. It seems like this one still has a lot of life in it since it was taken pretty good care of. Enjoy the new machine !!

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
fyi a good 4 into 1 megaphone, pod filters, and a Dynojet kit will add to the top end rush. .

It doesn't sound like he's ready for more top end rush, pretty sure he said this is his first bike..

but you're right on.

Congratulations on your new bike, she's a beauty! I also love the Honda Inline 4's. I had a 1980 750F, I wish I had that bike now. I traded it in for a 1982 Suzuki GS1100E, I wish I had that one too! I think the Japanese manufacturers would do themselves well by going back to these old school bikes - just my opinion.

May the good Lord watch over you and keep you safe as ride!

RevRider

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
fyi a good 4 into 1 megaphone, pod filters, and a Dynojet kit will add to the top end rush. .

It doesn't sound like he's ready for more top end rush, pretty sure he said this is his first bike..

but you're right on.

For sure there is more performance potential but it's beauty is being the way that it came from the factory and I think we do agree on that.
cheers3.gif

For what it's worth, from my experience with the Yamaha XS1100, there wasn't a lot to unleash with exhaust, jet kits and pods. I left mine completely stock and still regret having to sell it a couple years ago.

The guys I rode with that had an XS1100 with pods and jet kits and exhaust systems didn't improve upon what came from the factory back in that era. Every one of them would say "well you know, it's still running a bit rich down low but I like the look". Or "it's running a bit lean in the mid-range but it sure sounds good". That's what you're going to get.

They gave their bikes a unique look and sound, but there just wasn't that much left on the table back in that day without doing engine work.

A beautiful unmolested bike is a rare thing, enjoy it and pick up another bike that you can play with as well and it'll help keep the miles down on the CB.

Originally Posted by Donald
The drive needs some crack filler.

Yes, fix up that driveway with the money you would spend on any modifications! LOL.

He's in MN...I can tell you around here you can fill the cracks and they just come back again...really not much of a point.

I'll say again, Beautiful Bike Sir. Congrats on getting it home, and having a nice ride as well. It'll get easier each time you ride it.
This time of year - it's always fun to take on a project like this. In a way, I wish my Maxim would've been more 'original', but customs can look good also if done right.

I agree with the above, I'd leave it 100% stock. They perform very well as is, and a stock bike from 1980 is getting very hard to find these days.

And especially with only 15,000 miles, the old girl should have a LOT (tens of thousands) of good miles left in her.

Last edited:
God that's a good looking bike, brings back sooo many good memories of my '83 CB1000 Custom that looked just like it. I am so jealous lol.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I can't wait to put some elbow grease in and get everything cleaned up will. It doesn't look like we're going to have much for riding weather until at least next week, so I've got plenty of time.

The XS1100 had two valves/cylinder, was not much untapped potential in that head which is why the factory placed a 4 valve head on FJ1100/1200. Same basic engine, different heads.

Yeah for sure, that uncorked probably another 25 horses at the rear wheel and 10 foot pounds of torque. Significant in and of itself and then you add in the FJ weight savings over the 605 lb XS1100.

CB900 is in the same boat as the XS1100, there is not much to do to it other than make it sound different which sometimes makes guys think it's faster but it ain't.

I've read all about putting pods on the carbs and messing with the exhaust, but from everything I've seen any changes to stock will require re-jetting the carbs, which I don't want to do. Plus, I want to keep the bike as stock as possible. I even plan to remove the one non-OE sticker that someone put on the rear fender.

Oh, out of curiosity, let's say I wanted to preserve said stickers. There's one on the fuel tank and one on the rear fender, specifically, that I'd like to keep nice. Is there any nifty way to "cover" those with some sort of clear patch, perhaps? I had the brilliant idea of using something like clear bra to cover just the sticker and a little more, but I'm pretty sure that would ruin the decals once if was removed. Then again, maybe it could just stay there forever. My idea was to get some film, trace the original decal, cut a piece about 1/8th inch larger than the decal, and place the film over it. It might wrinkle a bit, but that would almost look more authentic.

Maybe I'm just being goofy. Anyways, thanks again for all the comments everyone. Every day I'm feeling more confident about my purchase.

Back