"The new" Mobil 1 Racing Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by benjy
the word RACING is thrown around a lot incorrectly, that oil like Redlines real RACING oils are just that meant for racing with a lot of protective additives but little for longevity!!

Exactly. Driven XP line of oils as well. Total detergent package is less than 500 ppm, over 10% POE content, and entirely short-chained C4 secondary ZDDP with a TBN less than 2. It wouldn't last 500 miles on the street.

Used to use M1 R 4T when it was "real" synthetic and it was a worth while "oil booster". An SG style real PAO syn.

Who is first with the frankenbrew? Someone with a stressed 5W30 application. My new Jetta is leased I cant even change the oil on it. - even if I wanted to. Plus VW 508

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Too much calcium for my DI engines …

That's way too much calcium for a RACING OIL as well!
wink.gif

I wonder WHY they do that, as well as WHY they feel that the old dimer type of moly (obvious from that quantity) is better in a racing scenario than a (much, like ~400-500 ppm) higher than SN/SN+ level of the newer trimer type moly.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Originally Posted by 4WD
Too much calcium for my DI engines …

That's way too much calcium for a RACING OIL as well!
wink.gif

I wonder WHY they do that, as well as WHY they feel that the old dimer type of moly (obvious from that quantity) is better in a racing scenario than a (much, like ~400-500 ppm) higher than SN/SN+ level of the newer trimer type moly.
confused2.gif

Probably so much calcium because they know people are going to dump it into their street car, and they want to CYA. The same reason Valvoline does it with VR1.

Also, that high level of moly doesn't mean it's old MoS2. The Driven XP line of oil I posted about above has similar moly ppm and it's a blend of tri-nuclear and organo-moly.

... as well as WHY they feel that the old dimer type of moly (obvious from that quantity) is better in a racing scenario than a (much, like ~400-500 ppm) higher than SN/SN+ level of the newer trimer type moly.
confused2.gif

Maybe because, Infineum papers aside, the dimer type actually does have better friction modification properties than the trimer type.
21.gif
Old school FTW?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by bluesubie

... as well as WHY they feel that the old dimer type of moly (obvious from that quantity) is better in a racing scenario than a (much, like ~400-500 ppm) higher than SN/SN+ level of the newer trimer type moly.
confused2.gif

Maybe because, Infineum papers aside, the dimer type actually does have better friction modification properties than the trimer type.
21.gif
Old school FTW?
grin2.gif

This would be a good discussion on its own.

Originally Posted by bluesubie

confused2.gif

21.gif
Old school FTW?
grin2.gif

HMMMM, makes me wonder what type Ravenol is using (I'm gonna guess trimer
21.gif
), and IF the above is correct, it makes me wish that Red Line would come up with a low calcium/high magnesium, but high dimer moly add pack content product, all the more.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
. . .
Probably so much calcium because they know people are going to dump it into their street car, and they want to CYA. The same reason Valvoline does it with VR1.
. . .

Well, learn something new every day. I never even considered the idea that oil makers would have to "adulterate" their racing oils to protect delusional drivers who have convinced themselves that they somehow "need" racing oil instead of proper street oil. . . Wow. Maybe if I fill my Prius with M1R, I'll be able to beat a Corvette from a stoplight! He'll never see it coming!
laugh.gif

Maybe racing oil should be available only with a certified mechanic's prescription! Better still, make a "racing oil prescription" a "double signer" -- first your mechanic signs off, then your psychiatrist has to approve!

I use 4qt's of 0/40fs and 2qt's of 0/50 racing oil in my S2000 for the better wear protection that the higher moly and ZDDP gives my pistons. The mix is still in the mid 40w range.

For those who don't know it, the piston speed of the S2000 is 4965 ft/m or 24.6 m/s and that at the time(2000) was as high as a F1 engine.

These engines are getting harder and harder to find(low mileage and in good shape) so I've been doing this for the last 4 years. Before that I used M1 10/40 high mileage(4 qt's) and M1 V-Twin 20/50(two qt's).

Still on org. cat with 155k miles on it and passes smog great here in Calif.

Rod

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back