The New Megatrends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, O.K., you kinda gotta put that in perspective. The biggest drain on our system is retiring people. Not the dullards and buffoons. Hard working, productive, tax paying, wanting to get out what they put into the society ..etc..etc. They are the source of our anxiety. You Canadians have it a bit better in some ways ..not so in others ..but the demographics are the same and probably mean a wash. You can take all the free loaders and evaporate them and barely see a twitch on the radar.

The author's statements are a bit sensational at best. Maybe outright wrong on some accounts. According to the CIA Fact Book, a quick sampling of data from countries like France, Sweden, and Russia show that their birthrates are a little lower than ours and their immigration rate is at least half ours. Doesn't support his notions of drastically declining populations and importing Muslims for workers. Last I checked, some Belgium based company was trying to buy my hometown mega-brewery Anheuser-Busch. With the Euro now worth $1.60, I'm sure it is actually a bargain for them. Unbelieveable the Euro was launched 1e = 1$. I think the mega-trends we need to concern ourselves with are the unsustainable levels of US debt, loss of manufacturing (though higher cost of shipping might turn this one around), energy, and healthcare.

Quote:
Doesn't support his notions of drastically declining populations and importing Muslims for workers.
You're not really serious here. It's painfully apparent that the eastern European nations are declining and that between localized wars and emigration they're not doing well. My wife worked with two women from ..hmmm ..one of those sheet-whole nations and her foundation had to pay to keep them here for extended employment. Eastern European population to plummet http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/734123.stm http://www.cdi.org/russia/246-18.cfm http://overpopulation.org/older.html As far as non-European Muslim populations go ..Western Europe is the fertile ground of choice. The eastern European countries don't have the benefits to tap into. While western Europe gives notions of being overrun by Muslims, we appear to be being overrun by Latinos. I imagine that the reasons are the same and that the Euros shine their native citizens on just like our officials do.

This is ultimately a battle between man and machine. Some societies choose human beings, while others focus on mechanical beings. Which one will dominate in the future? Maybe it depends on the price of oil.

What stands out to me about that article is that the author has a pretty clear agenda:
 Quote:
We are becoming one of the last holdouts of the traditional Judeo-Christian culture. There is no better place in the world to be in business and raise children. The U.S. is by far the best place to have an idea, form a business and put it into the marketplace.
...and let's keep it that way! (to paraphrase the author) I agree with mormit that the arguments are not well supported. Something like this needs references, yet I see no footnotes or anything. It's just an opinion piece. The other thing that stands out to me is that population decline, especially in certain, overcrowded parts of the world, could prove beneficial in the long run. If what he says about Japan is true (and that's a big "if" in my mind), I can't think of a more overcrowded place and having an aging population might not be such a bad thing if, after the older folks start to die off, it eases the space constraints and the econcomic burden on everyone else. Not to mention the environmental factors.

Originally Posted By: Matt_S
What stands out to me about that article is that the author has a pretty clear agenda:
that's what I was thinking. it seems like a blueprint to protect 'our way of life'. didn't the rougue general in 'spies like us' say something similar? it's all point of view. the author is a rich American speaking to rich Americans who would like to keep the status quo. and how can he honestly say no one can beat the US militarily? isn't that happening every day? if they couldn't be beat, the Iraqi occupation would have been over years ago. the Muslim world likes things just the way they are and they aren't going to change just because CEO's want them to. American Democracy is not the inevitable result of enlightenment. Americans need to realize there are other cultures and values in the world.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
 Originally Posted By: mpvue
 Originally Posted By: Matt_S
that's what I was thinking. it seems like a blueprint to protect 'our way of life'. didn't the rougue general in 'spies like us' say something similar? it's all point of view. the author is a rich American speaking to rich Americans who would like to keep the status quo. and how can he honestly say no one can beat the US militarily? isn't that happening every day? if they couldn't be beat, the Iraqi occupation would have been over years ago. the Muslim world likes things just the way they are and they aren't going to change just because CEO's want them to. American Democracy is not the inevitable result of enlightenment. Americans need to realize there are other cultures and values in the world.
Technically they could have just nuked Iraq and that would have ended it. BUT, that's not a very nice way to do business and it sure would not have gone over well with other nations around the world. It is the METHOD they are using in Iraq that has caused the "fight" to be as drawn out as it is (in my opinion). We simply have to look back to the Gulf War to see how effective mass carpet-bombing is. The war in Iraq is a very poor representation of the military capability of the United States (and this is coming from a Canadian), so I don't really feel it should be used as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.