The new Challenger....

Status
Not open for further replies.
chas3
Member # 4342

posted January 05, 2006 07:22 PM
"that car needs a diet. "

I agree. At 4100 lbs, that tub will never drive as well as a Mustang. Better get some Slim Fast.

I agree about the diet! 4100lbs is absurd! It's gonna need everyone of the 425hp to run low 13's. Technology is amazing isn't it? LS1 Fbody's were running low 13's off the showroom floor in 1998.

I love the look of the car and hope DC keeps it's concept lines and does not modify it for sale to the public. It needs a huge diet and at least get it to 3500lbs. The SRT 6.1 Hemi is a nice engine that had a very strong powerband but it's thrown all away pushing a a pig on four wheels. Same to Ford with the new Shelby GT500 Mustang. It's somewhere in 3750-3900lbs range. Even though the Challenger is alot heavier than the new Mustang GT, it will still run a better ET and trap 5-6 mph higher in the 1/4.

The 4100 lbs. is ridiculous. I wonder what a Hemi Challenger weighed back in '70?

I used to drive a 1970 Grand Prix that only weighed 4000! The GP ran a best 1/4 mile of 15.7. The engine and trans found their way into a Nova with essentially the same gearing (2.73 vs 2.93) and made it run 14.7 on slicks (with street tires, it would smoke and slide into the sixteens).

Chrysler decided they goofed with the Charger. It had too little of the retro look, too much like a modern sedan, and made it into a 4-door. This time they want more of the original old Challenger brought back to life.

The base V6 is affordable, but they really sock it to the customer that wants the V8 option.

$23K for the V6
$30K for the V8
$37K for the 450 hp V8

Who would be happy with the V6 in such a cool car? I think Chrysler may be too greedy with the option pricing, as Ford was with the retro Thunderbird base pricing.

The Thunderbird did not sell well and they are now considering closing the Wixom plant that used to make it. It was basically a $27K car that they tried to sell for $42K.

Perhaps because the wheelbase is longer than the 1970 Challenger. I imagine the rest of the car is proportional.

the charger is a heavy little beast as well. this really makes them unacceptable as muscle cars. with 425hp it should be in the low 12's.

my best guess is that dodge has cornered the market on depleted uranium.

According to my Chrysler Bible the 1970 challenger with a 426 Hemi(425HP) ran 14 second 1/4 mile times in street trim and the car weighed in at around 3600 -3700lbs. In comparison the 1970 Challenger T/A with a 340 6-pack(390HP) ran a 14.5 1/4 mile. I believe the Hemi car had a 3.55 rear end which could probably explain the slow 1/4 mile time. I think with 4.10's it would be in the low 13's. So I think with the new Challenger weighing in at 4100 with a 425HP Hemi, 13 second 1/4 mile times sounds not to bad in street trim.

Holy crap, I like them both. They will sell like hotcakes if they price them right. I think Ford was smart to put a strong V6 and a 5 speed in the base Mustang and offer it for under $20 grand.

I have a friend that wanted to buy a used Thunderbird, I talked him into getting a new Mini Cooper.

The Thunderbird would have a tuff time selling at $20K.......let alone $42K.

What happened to Chrysler's cab forward, good for the earth cars of the future. These car manufacturers remind me of Mel Brooks History of the World when Moses walks out with the 15 Commandments and trips.

A question. What happens when the new Challanger gets to be comple of years old. How do they design the next model when there isn't one to copy.

Gotta love the marketing of the cab forward design. They made people believe that they discovered all this wasted space in a car!

Have noticed the cab forward design (Intrepid) gives the driver less legroom and less room to work under the hood. Back seat passengers have lots of room though.

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back