The Need for Fuel System Cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Speaking of knocking GM products, is this common?

Yesterday I was stopped at the lights and TWO Grand Prix's made the turn through the light and drove by me, and they were BOTH knocking.

20 minutes later in the Walmart parking lot, a Lumina drove by me making the same noise????

Oh no... Ask GM Boy, GM products are the bomb and super reliable and what people want to drive. That's why the company is in the toilet.

I have never pulled up beside a GM, or driven in one that hasn't had the check engine light on or making some sort of noise from under the hood that shouldn't be there. (Yes new and old models)

I wouldn't go that far. But it would seem there are a LOT of GM cars that make some VERY bad noises, at least from what I've seen.

Not the case with their trucks or SUV's though.........

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I wouldn't go that far. But it would seem there are a LOT of GM cars that make some VERY bad noises, at least from what I've seen.

Not the case with their trucks or SUV's though.........

+1

I'll send a bottle of Redline for free if you are a US Military Veteran. Just scan your military ID card with all the info blacked out so I know you are not some bogus imposter trying to get a free bottle of Redline Injector Cleaner. The first 5 will get one bottle.

Off topic:
I saw the new Camaro on the highway today and it looks pretty cool, but I was surprised at just how large the car is compared to the pictures I've seen in car magazines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be that there are a just plain a lot of GM cars on the road? And if they keep running with a problem that the owner doesn't repair, you pull up beside them and hear a noise?

According to J.D. Power, when you take Toyota and Honda out of the mix, the other imports are equal to or behind domestic manufacturers in quality. But don't let a fact get in your way.

In fact, Buick may be ahead of both of them by now.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Could it be that there are a just plain a lot of GM cars on the road? And if they keep running with a problem that the owner doesn't repair, you pull up beside them and hear a noise?

According to J.D. Power, when you take Toyota and Honda out of the mix, the other imports are equal to or behind domestic manufacturers in quality. But don't let a fact get in your way.

I tend to agree, there are lots of them not maintained well at all.
Just to get into StevieC's GM bashing kitchen abit, I do notice there are not many old Hyundai's on the road at all making any noises... What year did they actually start making some decent? 2001?, with the Elantra? For some reason the first 15 years of absolute [censored] cars has been forgotten with them, good marketing I guess.
How many late 90's fwd GM cars are still out there? 50 times as many Hyundais? Even as a percentage of the total number sold I'd bet there are more unloved GM fwd cars going from the 90's than Hyundai's.
I think now Hyundai makes a decent car, just like GM...

I never said Hyundai made great cars in the past and I never implied that the older ones before 2001 were still on the road. I know they have a shady history. I would however take a 2000ish Hyundai over a new GM product at this point. When they clean up their act I will consider the brand again, but not until then. :no-no:

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I saw the new Camaro on the highway today and it looks pretty cool, but I was surprised at just how large the car is

the 2010 SS camaros are 4000lbs and 108 or 111" wheelbase(?) heaviest, longest camaros ever. even w/ the 430 hp LS3 it was running 13.3 in the 1/4 recently. or basically similar et to a stock 4th gen camaro LS1 w/ 350 hp. it's sad really

for a big heavy GT car i like the new challenger. they got it right, except for the skinny tires.

You'd be surprised at how people don't maintain their cars and use the cheapest no-name gas. Over time the carbon deposits build up and you get noises that sound like piston slap. Often times a top end cleaning gets rid of the carbon and things are all good again.

I dumped a bottle of the Redline SI-1 "Complete Fuel System Cleaner" into my just filled gas tank on the Neon this morning.

Will see what happens... I hope it doesn't explode.
LOL.gif

EDIT: BTW, I always use top-tier gas.

Last edited:
While some are correct that they don't notice any difference after using a fuel system cleaner out of the bottle some will. And if the cleaner contains PEA detergents they ARE PROVEN to be highly effective (the most effective) cleaners of carbon deposits in fuel injectors and intake valves and such.

If you use top tier fuels (required to have a specific amounts of PEA detergents) so that your system will remain clean with regular use. If you use off brand discount gas you will likely benefit from the use of PEA bottle cleaners like Regane and Techron.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
While some are correct that they don't notice any difference after using a fuel system cleaner out of the bottle some will. And if the cleaner contains PEA detergents they ARE PROVEN to be highly effective (the most effective) cleaners of carbon deposits in fuel injectors and intake valves and such.

If you use top tier fuels (required to have a specific amounts of PEA detergents) so that your system will remain clean with regular use. If you use off brand discount gas you will likely benefit from the use of PEA bottle cleaners like Regane and Techron.

I used Amsoil PI which containes PEA and it unclogged the injector in my '95 Neon which was otherwise going to need replacement.

The engine also runs very smooth compared to when I first bought it.

It's made me believe that PEA cleaners work as advertised!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
So stevie, everytime you pull up next to a GM you can see the dashboard from your car?

I drive an SUV which sits pretty high up on the road, plus I'm 6'2" and being young I have pretty good vision, so yes I can see it.

I drive 60K KM / year for my job and spending this much time on the road leaves me nothing better to do then notice things...

FWIW: I have noticed many VW's running like absolute [censored] as well. And my Cabriolet hasn't been the easiest thing to keep running either.

smirk2.gif

I have a 13 year old 1996 VW Golf 2L and it runs as smooth as butter. I have owned it from new so I have been diligent with maintenance but I haven't gone overkill either. The car has been as trouble free as most of my friends and families Hondas and Toyotas. TRUE!!!!!!
39.gif

No actually the diesels aren't the ones I'm talking about. It's the gas vehicles... Maybe a Diesel in a Canadian winter, but that's not VW's fault.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: MrCritical

Oh, there are for sure. It just seems a certain cross-section of them seem to be very poorly maintained and subsequently make all kinds of horrendous noises.

steviec, the ONLY time the ses light comes on in my silverado is while being started. it goes off after that and it has never been illuminated when it shouldn't be. all that said, my next truck will most likely be a ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back