The Need for Fuel System Cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gasoline gets hot, the light components flash off and leave behind a varnish deposit in injectors that gasoline does not readily dissolve on its own.

Mine recommends it "periodically" but doesn't say it's necessary and specifies to use Hyundai approved product only.
wink.gif

A bottle of injector cleaner once or maybe twice a year is a good maintenance thing to do.
But get a proven good one, like Chevron Techron in the strongest variety.
It will clean the pump, lines, injectors, valves, and combustion chamber.
I have no doubt as to the value of good injector cleaners run through the gas tank.
But it is not for every tank. Roughly 10,000 miles is about right.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A bottle of injector cleaner once or maybe twice a year is a good maintenance thing to do.
But get a proven good one, like Chevron Techron in the strongest variety.
It will clean the pump, lines, injectors, valves, and combustion chamber.
I have no doubt as to the value of good injector cleaners run through the gas tank.
But it is not for every tank. Roughly 10,000 miles is about right.

Right on. Key word is "good". Only Redline, Techron and maybe Regane are the only ones that are proven to do atleast something.

I've seen some of the mid-nineties Buicks come in sounding like a rod knocking with carbon build up that could have been avoided with periodic use of fuel system cleaners.

Stay away from discount gasolines that skimp on fuel additives.

Speaking of mid-90's Buicks, my 99 LeSabre (3800 Series II, 4T65E) ran noticeably smoother after a strong dose of discontinued Valvoline Synpower injector cleaner. I don't skimp on maintenance, either. (currently tending to some rust spots and pinprick holes on the rocker panels. yay for vacation!) I use a cleaner every oil change, or about every 7000 miles (on full syn).

Must be the independent station I go to.

If im not mistaken RL S1-1 is also a POA based cleaner. I switch between it and Techron on my last tankful just before the end of my oil run, which is 10K at present.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrCritical
I've seen some of the mid-nineties Buicks come in sounding like a rod knocking with carbon build up that could have been avoided with periodic use of fuel system cleaners.

Stay away from discount gasolines that skimp on fuel additives.

Speaking of knocking GM products, is this common?

Yesterday I was stopped at the lights and TWO Grand Prix's made the turn through the light and drove by me, and they were BOTH knocking.

20 minutes later in the Walmart parking lot, a Lumina drove by me making the same noise????

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Speaking of knocking GM products, is this common?

Yesterday I was stopped at the lights and TWO Grand Prix's made the turn through the light and drove by me, and they were BOTH knocking.

20 minutes later in the Walmart parking lot, a Lumina drove by me making the same noise????

Oh no... Ask GM Boy, GM products are the bomb and super reliable and what people want to drive. That's why the company is in the toilet.

I have never pulled up beside a GM, or driven in one that hasn't had the check engine light on or making some sort of noise from under the hood that shouldn't be there. (Yes new and old models)

Stevie, your full of it. That last line cannot be true. Yeah, I support GM because they pay my bills and you would do the same. Do I agree with how they have been run - of course not! But they are making some great vehicles now and people like you need to wake up and notice that.

Last edited:
In 180,000 km with my GM car the CEL has only come on once and that was because I drove with the gas cap off for 380 km...don't generalize.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Stevie, your full of it. That last line cannot be true. Yeah, I support GM because they pay my bills and you would do the same. Do I agree with how they have been run - of course not! But they are making some great vehicles now and people like you need to wake up and notice that.

Buddy, I have never, and I swear to the big man upstairs, that I have ever pulled up beside a GM that didn't have a CEL on or that wasn't making a whining noise or clanging in the engine or both.

IMO they make terrible products and I have said before and I will say it again, if they build decent products I would be the first to purchase after my Santa Fe is done because I believe in buying N.A. but not at the cost of my own financial security.

This and all the horror stories I have seen and heard from friends, neighbors and family members is too overwhelming not to steer me away from the product line.

I even posted about the Impala I drove in recently and all the problems it had with only 30K KM on the clock.

Sorry bud, but you can't convince me that a company on the verge of bankruptcy that has demonstrated all these problems that I have seen with my own eyes or been told of by others is making decent products that people want.

You need to wake up and notice that and if I were you I would find another company to work for before they disappear and you are left waiving a white flag!

The truth hurts...
grin2.gif

but not their V8s

mine still sounds very healthy after 100K, women clutch their children and pull them close if i open even half throttle lol

hooker long tubes, cat back, no cats

I have piston slap in my 96 Sunfire 2.2 OHV. After the engine warms up, the piston slappin stops. the engine is pretty solid and puts out decent wear numbers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back