The need for 10w60 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my friend was in search of 60wt for his M5 and went to YouTube for reviews and maybe advice. Next thing I know I have been flooded with over 30 messages on my messenger telling me he is worried about using 10w60. So I get sent the link and kinda blew it off and kinda laughed. I have my own thoughts but so do all of you. Fine I'll go first. It's a BMW and I have more respect for what they spec than this guy's Chevrolet Corvette on oil. Also they don't make a 10w60 that I know of so of course he would downplay they need for it. Lastly I would buy from our sponsor on this site and his sales pitch would not gain him many customers from this site.

https://youtu.be/tNh8JAjDz34

FWIW I'm running Redline 10w60 in my M6, and Viper with forced induction. No engine problems with either. The tires I'm running on both are a bigger concern at cooler temps which the oil can handle fine.

E60 M5 mid 2000's. I love the car but don't know much about it. Sits in a storage garage or track only lol. Wish I had enough power in one of my cars to need a 10w60 oil.

Originally Posted by Marco620
E60 M5 mid 2000's. I love the car but don't know much about it. Sits in a storage garage or track only lol. Wish I had enough power in one of my cars to need a 10w60 oil.

Tell him that he should absolutely run a 10W-60, and he should absolutely treat the accelerator pedal like there's an egg underneath it until the engine warms up.

Originally Posted by newbe46
I'm always amused by those "keyboard engineers" who go out of the way and to contradict what is suggested to them.

Are you sure it wasn't keyboard engineers that first necessitated the oil to be developed.... j/k

Originally Posted by Danno
Aren't the main crank bearings a maintenance item on these, similar to oil changes and brake replacements?

Yes and no. It certainly seems to be a common problem, but not all of the cars have issues. There are some high mileage engines running around on the original bearings.

It's kinda like the M96 IMS. Should you change the bearings to be safe? Probably. Will the engine die if you don't? Probably not.

Aren't the main crank bearings a maintenance item on these, similar to oil changes and brake replacements?

Rod bearings...and no routine replacement is listed as a scheduled maintenance. Failure did occur on some engines and extended warranty was given by BMW. I had to replace rod bearings on my 2002 M Coupe S54 engine @ 60,000 mile but extended warranty had timed out ($2000). 10W-60 always used.

BMW got BP (Castrol) to develop a 10W-60 grade oil for certain engines for a reason.
If your buddy's engine has this oil recommended for it, then that's what he should use.
Prior to their adoption of proprietary oil standards, BMW and Mercedes both recommended very thick grades for warmer weather.
Earlier vehicles had 20W-50 recommended for warm conditions, as my old BMW does and went on in the temp/visc chart to allow this grade in service down to 14F, so a wimpy 10W-60 should be no problem.
These engines apparently have both the oil pump drives and starters to deal with a thick grade.
If BMW recommends the grade, I'd have no problems with using it.
Keep in mind too that an American or Japanese badged engine for which a 20 grade is recommended here does just fine in markets where much thicker grades are recommended and used.

I've replaced pads and rotors a few times. Oil and filter changes numerous times. The S85 engine is all original. I've owned it since new, going on 9 years now.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Tell him that he should absolutely run a 10W-60, and he should absolutely treat the accelerator pedal like there's an egg underneath it until the engine warms up.

He has it in a climate controlled storage unit. Starts it and uses a turbo timer with a 5 minute warm up and then does around town for another 5-10 THEN gets on the highway and cruises at 65mph for another 5-10. Rode one time in it and the wait was too long for M Power to kick in. In all fairness my mom did the same with their Boxster S. At least he isnt doing this to it.....
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/perf...sLzIwMTZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLz9sb2NhbGU9ZW5fdXM

He has it in a climate controlled storage unit. Starts it and uses a turbo timer with a 5 minute warm up and then does around town for another 5-10 THEN gets on the highway and cruises at 65mph for another 5-10. Rode one time in it and the wait was too long for M Power to kick in. In all fairness my mom did the same with their Boxster S. At least he isnt doing this to it.....

At least they used an M E63 with the proper transmission in their commercial.

Originally Posted by 02SE

At least they used an M E63 with the proper transmission in their commercial.

F12. That engine is far less stressed and is spec'd for LL01 5W-30. If you're going to go frozen lake drifting, you'd be hard pressed to find a better car.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
BMW got BP (Castrol) to develop a 10W-60 grade oil for certain engines for a reason.
If your buddy's engine has this oil recommended for it, then that's what he should use.
Prior to their adoption of proprietary oil standards, BMW and Mercedes both recommended very thick grades for warmer weather.
Earlier vehicles had 20W-50 recommended for warm conditions, as my old BMW does and went on in the temp/visc chart to allow this grade in service down to 14F, so a wimpy 10W-60 should be no problem.
These engines apparently have both the oil pump drives and starters to deal with a thick grade.
If BMW recommends the grade, I'd have no problems with using it.
Keep in mind too that an American or Japanese badged engine for which a 20 grade is recommended here does just fine in markets where much thicker grades are recommended and used.

Yeah Im running a 0w20 0w30 blend with a Hths 2.9+. Runs like a charm too.Still getting 38mpg or better too

F12. That engine is far less stressed and is spec'd for LL01 5W-30. If you're going to go frozen lake drifting, you'd be hard pressed to find a better car.

You're right. I assumed he would post a video with the discussed V10. Didn't watch the video close, and have the sound off so I didn't hear the engine. Just saw a brief flash of the manual shifter while the video played in the background.

Definitely not an E63.

Originally Posted by 02SE

You're right. I assumed he would post a video with the discussed V10. Didn't watch the video close, and have the sound off so I didn't hear the engine. Just saw a brief flash of the manual shifter while the video played in the background.

Definitely not an E63.

I figured you didn't watch it. I was more replying to the "at least he doesn't so this with it" comment. If I had a frozen lake, I'd probably do exactly what was in the video!

The E6x M5/6 and E1x M5/6 couldn't be more different. Yours is doing well? I'm car shopping again and both previous generations of M5 are tempting. I think the V10's fuel consumption is too poor for even me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back