The mystery of Delo 400 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member, first post. I drive a Dodge/Cummins and live close to a Chevron jobber who keeps a couple cases of Delo 400 5W40 in stock. As a member I buy it for $13.00/gal. It is a CI-4 rated oil and can be bought in quarts - drums. There is also a 0W40. I run the 5W40 year round in So Cal where I tow in 100+ degree heat. After reading some old posts I began to wonder if this is the oil I should be using. Should I be using a dino 15W40 or go to something like DELVAC 1 that I can buy for $18.00/gal.?

Well if you can get Delvac-1 for $18 a gallon I would be useing that as my first choice! The Delo 5W40 is a solid performer but is a group III in the same class as Rotella-T Synthetic.

P.S. PM me if you can with the telephone number and name of the company if you can. I have been looking for some way to order Delo 400 5W40. I want to include it in some tests I am doing. Thanks!

I have an 04 Dodge 2500 Ho Cummins, why don't you run Amsoil 15w-40 Heavy Duty Marine Diesel Oil(code AME)? You can get 4 gallons for $60 delivered to your door. OR the Synthetic Blend 15w-40 for 50.20 for 4 gallons (Code PCO). Ask a dealer to refund the shipping costs to you too, just a thought.
dunno.gif

[ March 18, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: rossn2 ]

Does it have to be what is considered a "synthetic"?
Since you're not adverse to using a 15W-40, especially towing in 100F, then why not go to WalMart and buy Chevron Delo 400 for $5.97 per gallon? I assume you would be changing it out regularly anyway, after long towing trips.
According to the tests on this site, it's a Group II+,(some synthesis process) you cannot get a better product at that price.
Maybe it's just the area I live in but, Delvac 1 @ $4.50 per quart($18 per gal.)is the normal price at WalMart, no membership required.

[ March 18, 2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Lubricious ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lubricious:
offtopic.gif
..snip..
Maybe it's just the area I live in but, Delvac 1 @ $4.50 per quart($18 per gal.)is the normal price at WalMart, no membership required.

Hmmn, never seen Delvac 1 in any WalMart yet. Where abouts in Jersey are you? TIA

They carry it in So. Jersey in the rural areas, most certainly for the farm tractors and trucking businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back