The more I read, the more confused I become

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what it is, but the more I read about economics or just things in general, the harder it is for me to come to "absolute" conclusions. I find it interesting how so many people are so convinced of anything to be honest. G O D or even capitalism vs whatever. My mind does not operate in a black/white mode.

For example, I read a lot of articles from Peter Schiff and the mises.org site, especially since this crisis started. I'll then head over to Krugman's blog and read his Left leaning rants and he makes some interesting points. I guess I'm surprised after all these years we can't come to more of an agreement on certain aspects of life, such as what economics system is best. I would have thought by now there would be more of a consensus on how it works but I guess not. Always learning.

I guess it ultimately boils down to your own perception of reality. I'm starting to think my continued interest or quest for the absolute truth is a waste of time.

I am the King of Fence Leaners...........

I know how you feel. I was going to vote for one Presidential candidate then flip flopped and started leaning towards the other. Then when it was closer to voting time I voted for my first choice.

I tend to not see things in black or white very often. Makes for good discussions with people. I think I should have been a mediator.
21.gif

Cool yeah I'm the same way. I thought maybe I was not as "normal" as other folks who are so anchored in their beliefs. I'm just not that way. I always look for different angles and perceptions etc.

Although with motor oil, I'm pretty consistent with M1. LMAO!

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I think it's as simple as this: When non-producers or under producers are rewarded through the efforts of the producers over a long period of time, you're eventually screwed.

That is an interesting way of looking at it.

You have billions of individuals making their own decisions and a few in governments making even more for them. If there were absolutes in economics, centralized economies would work beutifly.

The best thing you can do is look to history and see what has worked. That is a real base line. (What they are doing now has always worked out poorly)

Quote:
I guess it ultimately boils down to your own perception of reality.

Doesn't everything?

You would think with all the "Screw Up's" made in history and with all the people crying about supporting the automakers etc. You would think the Government would listen. It's like they have some input=opposite output mechanism. I think we should all start using reverse psychology and start praising them to death and watch them implode!
wink.gif

Join the club.

For example, I was a hard bound evolutionist from HS all the way until about 40 years old. So much "hard" dogma. Yet so many cheezy gaps. I was a man of science.

Economics? Talk about fuzzy math!!
grin2.gif
I can make (or lose) money going either direction. Makes no sense.

Quote:
I think we should all start using reverse psychology and start praising them to death and watch them implode!

The "news" is already doing that it isn't working out well...
Quote:
You would think the Government would listen.

You assume the people in government actually want to help people and make their lives better.

Tempest... I'm being sarcastic... No need to quote... It just bothers me that so few make decisions for so many in the best interests of their pockets and not ours.
mad.gif

Oh well... Gotta go to bed now and get up for the rat-race I was born into.
smirk2.gif

The more you learn, the more you understand how complex the issues are. Cognitive science sees the ability to recognize value in parts of conflicting views as part of a developed mind. When I see someone with an absolutely set opinion, it tells me they are either incapable of, are not interested in extending the breadth or depth of their knowledge.

I didn't enjoy my economics courses in college, and I'm not enjoying the ones now, either. I'm afraid the only thing we can do is keep trying to do better.

I think it's as simple as this: When non-producers or under producers are rewarded through the efforts of the producers over a long period of time, you're eventually screwed.

Groucho Shrugged

Quote:
I don't know what it is, but the more I read about economics or just things in general, the harder it is for me to come to "absolute" conclusions. I find it interesting how so many people are so convinced of anything to be honest. G O D or even capitalism vs whatever. My mind does not operate in a black/white mode.

Well, my "absolute effect" take on things tends to not require all the nooks and crannies to be filled with intimate knowledge. It's my ignorance that allows me to not be spun around by the particulars and see products and results.

Now I am critical of my environment. That, coupled with my ignorance, allows me to ask about all the invisible elephants that people seem to take for granted as not being there since they're inconvenient to the task at hand.

When I asked my genius in the beltway friend (from a family of geniuses) ..Dale, why would I support your success if it means that you're going to turn my lifestyle into something more resembling a 3rd world nation?" (this was a small part of a larger discussion). He just sorta frowned for a moment as though it never really occurred to him to even think in those terms ..and said, "Hmm..oh..that" ..and really just didn't have much more to say.
LOL.gif

So ..as far as "truth" ..I really don't think it exists. It's too easily formed in the context of one's existence bubble. Results, effects, etc. ..they tend to tell you what's real.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
When I see someone with an absolutely set opinion, it tells me they are either incapable of, are not interested in extending the breadth or depth of their knowledge.

I feel the same way........

it's as simple as this: as long as there are fear and greed in the world, NO government or economic type is going to be right. We can do better with some than others but basic human nature is that there will always be some imbalances, even if we were to revert back to caveman status.

Funny, but that works at BOTH ends of the income scale.

I like it.

The whole system is designed to split people down the middle on issues so they cannot form their own independent group. Ever wonder why the votes are always so close? It's called Divide and Conquer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back