The Missing Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of could be, possibly, etc. in the articles. While I do not deny that things adapt and modify to an environment and/or situation, I do not see anything compeeling here beyond what is presented elsewhere.

Neat find all the same.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Lots of could be, possibly, etc. in the articles. While I do not dent that things adapt and modify to an environment and/or situation, I do not see anything compeeling here beyond what is presented elsewhere.

Neat find all the same.

+1
I saw a dinosaur documentary that stated that we have only found ~700 different types of dinosaurs which represent 180 million year time span. We know so little.

Yeah I'm not sure it's "the" missing link, but it's just more evidence we now have that supports our evolutionary past.

I'm evolving now.

Doesnt mean a fossil is compelling evidence of my connection with the fossil as an ancestor.

Same DNA, perhaps... we share that, just like we share right-handed chiral chemistry... still doesnt mean much, IMO

Quote:
"This discovery brings a forgotten group into focus as a possible ancestor of higher primates,"

Could be very significant IMO.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
"This discovery brings a forgotten group into focus as a possible ancestor of higher primates,"

Of course we devloped from a chain that that "proto lemur" was a link in. A little further back, little shrew like critters too. Just depends on how much you wanna include in your time line. I regarded the article as a puff piece.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-fact.html

Pablo, why are you afraid to admit evolution occurs and is a fact of life? I guess it's hard for many to digest the fact that our common ancestor was a primate.

What other theory or view do you suggest to explain human evolution?

Afraid? Because I don't go along with your views? No, not the least bit afraid. Please, you show me the example of a species changing into another. Specifically a primate. It's conjecture and you know it deep inside - you just ignore the gaps so it fits better in your mind.

I'm not really sure, I don't swallow things so easily, I guess. I can say this, I believe living things were designed by the same designer and that life did not just spontaneously start.

Yeah I'm not sure it's "the" missing link, but it's just more evidence we now have that supports our evolutionary past.

That's the way I see it. Very good find.

Originally Posted By: Alex Watts, SkyNews
Researchers say proof of this transitional species finally confirms Charles Darwin's theory of evolution . . .

The researchers are not scientists if that's what they actually said! But I suspect it's the journalist who doesn't understand science.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Quote:

Of course we devloped from a chain that that "proto lemur" was a link in. A little further back, little shrew like critters too. Just depends on how much you wanna include in your time line. I regarded the article as a puff piece.
IT'S NOT A "CHAIN", FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ALMIGHTY!!! (You're my scapegoat buddy, sorry.
grin2.gif
) Yeah, it's a "puff piece".

Evolutionary biology 101 for anyone that's interested:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-intro-to-biology.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolphil/teleology.html

Evolution is a fact, how it happens is a theory.

http://salmonriver.com/lightscience/evolution2.html

It's scary how many Americans don't believe in evolution. Instead, they create or make up other ways life began. "None" of the opposition's view points are grounded in any factual basis whatsoever.

Whatever floats your boat.

A good book on this subject is Before The Dawn, by Nicholas Wade.
Aside from the compelling fossil record, genetics has opened many new doors into human, and pre-human history.
Humans continue to evolve, both on the genetic and outwardly physical levels.
For instance, gracilization, or the thinning of the skeleton, particularly the skull, has been occurring for some time, among most populations.
The "races" of humans also points to evolutionary change. The ancestral human population in Northeast Africa most likely didn't consist of a few people with "African" features, some with "Caucasian" features, several "Asian"-looking folk. These traits developed over time in the various groups as they became isolated from each other in the various environments they settled in.
Anyway, reading actual work by actual scientists is often more educational than staking out a position based on skepticism.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
If it were possible to have less than zero belief that humans evolved from single celled organism's, then that's what I'd have.

Belief, or the lack of it, hasn't often been shown to change reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back