The middlemen between the auto plant and the dealr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice "explain it to you" article about what happens to your car after it leaves the auto plant but before your dealer gets it.

It explains at least one question lingering on my mind: Who is it that installs those options? The alloy wheels, the roof racks, etc.

I always thought the dealer did it. Well, maybe the dealer has a role in the chain, but these guys do a lot of it. Frankly, since I don't trust the competency of dealerships much, I'm happy that these guys do most of it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/automo...;pagewanted=all

That article is mostly for Japanese vehicles. They don't build cars in their factories with very much option content choices like Ford or GM does. In my plant, for example, we install the roof racks in the line. We also install the 20" and 22" wheel options on line and that is good because we can control quality. I'd rather the factory install options rather than a 3rd party - that creates questionable work quality and creates more chances of vehicle scratches and other damage being handled more then necessary. With that being said - we do sub out one job - all Escalade Platinums go to an outfitter near the plant to have the headrest video display screens installed. The trucks leave our plant but they come back afterwards and then get shipped so we still have a "hold" on them to verifiy quality. We also do offer one wheel option that the dealer installs because we cannot offer EVERY style wheel due to the cost to do so.

I remember in the 80's how Japanese Dealers were adding A/C to cars because Japan wasn't yet building cars with it. I don't like dealer installed or outfitter installed items in most cases.

Just my thoughts.

My parents' 1989 mazda 323 got port-installed AC. I was lead to believe it was some sort of tarriff issue. (Not as dramatic as the Toyota beds though-- or the Ford Transits presently getting seats ripped out.)

When NUMMI was still a open and a joint Toyota/GM venture I toured the plant where they made Tacoma, Corolla, and Pontiac Vibe. When the trucks/cars left the NUMMI gate they either went to the GM lot or Toyota Logistics, either was a separate entity from NUMMI but on the same property. Toyota Logistics then prepped the cars/trucks with the proper documentation for its destination state and installed any "dealer installed" items the dealer ordered. That was mostly TRD add-ons such as wings, exhaust systems, air intakes, wheels, etc. They had nicer tools/fixtures for installing many items than most dealers would. Keep in mind that in the Toyota system every vehicle manufactured has been made to order for a dealership (pull theory).

One fascinating fact was they averaged less than 4 hours from the vehicle leaving NUMMI to it being on a train or truck. In theory, steel stamped in the morning left on a train as a complete vehicle in the afternoon of the same day!

Some Toyota dealer zones are basically held hostage by "the port".

The dealer and customer get "lusterizing sealant", and other often basically worthless add ons whether they want it or not, thanks to a deal Toyota made with them many years ago...

On the other hand, your sold order Escalade doesn't get wheel and DVD upgrades unless you order them that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back