The MB 229.5 specs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JB in another thread posted a link to this pdf file from the Ethyl corporation. It is a GOLD MINE. We've all been wondering what's behind the MB 229.5 specs, well here it is. (I just we could get a look at the "further requirments" listed in the "performance standard" mentioned at the bottom.)

-

Since this is the toughest OEM spec and since M1 0W-40 is the only NA oil that meets the spec, and considering the price and availability
of M1 why we should bother with Amsoil, Redline, and the rest of the lesser oils?

Why ????

quote:

Amsoil uses ZDDP and borate esters to accomplish the AW/EP functions. A long time ago, Al said he would NOT put any suspended solids into his oil, ever!

Schaeffer's, Redline, M1, and RP uses mostly moly, calcium boartes, and ZDDP to accomplish AW/EP functions.

So Al's oils have a two-tiered protection scheme, while most other comapnies prefer a three-tiered AW/EP protection scheme. A matter of additve philosophy.

It's more then just meeting specs. It's the way each company formulates the oils and how they hold up in real world conditions like we have here. The quote above is from Molekule and I personally like the way the Mobil, Redline and Schaeffer's formulate. I just think Moly is good for the oils. I think at this point, I've seen enough to know that Mobil 1 is as good or in some cases better then Amsoil. I'm don't think it is better then Redline.

since M1 0W-40 is the only NA oil that meets the spec, and considering the price and availability of M1 why we should bother with Amsoil, Redline, and the rest of the lesser oils?

Isn't actually the case that the "lesser" oil owners may simply not have applied for the certification?

quote:

Originally posted by vaphilly:
Since this is the toughest OEM spec and since M1 0W-40 is the only NA oil that meets the spec, and considering the price and availability
of M1 why we should bother with Amsoil, Redline, and the rest of the lesser oils?

I understand that the MB 229.5 cert is very expensive and the smaller oil companies either can't afford it or feel it's not a good value.

"Prüfstand" means literally "test bench."

The allowed sulfur level seems low compared to the VW oil specs. Less than half...

Hi.
Mercedes benz 229.5 oils are
mobil1 ow-40
mobil SHC formula MB 5w-30A
shell helix ultra AB 5w-30
shell helix ultra DC 229.5 GB
valvoline synpower MB 5w-30 NL
pennzoil european formula ultra 5w-30
quaker state european formula ultra 5w-30

quote:

Originally posted by Toyota18:
Hi.
Mercedes benz 229.5 oils are
mobil1 ow-40
mobil SHC formula MB 5w-30A
shell helix ultra AB 5w-30
shell helix ultra DC 229.5 GB
valvoline synpower MB 5w-30 NL
pennzoil european formula ultra 5w-30
quaker state european formula ultra 5w-30

Would the Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 meet this spec?? just wondering.

The only Amsoil formulation that currently meets the MB 229.5 spec is their new 5w-40/"AFL", European Formula.

The Amsoil 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 do meet the older MB 229.3 spec and their Series 3000, 5w-30 and 10w-40 meet the MB 229.1 specification.

The next time Amsoil reformulates, I'd expect most of their gas engine formulations will use an MB 229.5 additive chemistry ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
The only Amsoil formulation that currently meets the MB 229.5 spec is their new 5w-40/"AFL", European Formula.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is NO WAY this Amsoil 5w40 meets MB 229.5. With the exception of Mobil 1 0w40, EVERY oil that meets 229.5 is a full synthetic 5w30. The only reason Mobil 1 0w40 can meet this spec is that it starts out as mid-to-low 40 wt that is designed to shear down initially into the high 30 wt range. A 5w40 oil like this Amsoil, if it performs like other grades of Amsoil, will simply be too viscous to meet the stringent fuel economy requirements of 229.5.

And given that Amsoil also claims this oil meets 229.4, which is a spec that doesn't even exist, I have a hard time taking their word for it meeting 229.5.

The MB 229.5 lubes have to show a fuel savings of at least 1.8%, in comparison to a 15w-40, petroleum reference oil.

I have NO problem at all believing a 5w-40, PAO/Ester synthetic will yield that magnitude of fuel savings - even a fairly shear stable 5w-40.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

I happen to use Mobil 1 that meets the most stringent OEM spec in the world? Why would I use a considerably more expensive, hard to find oil if the manufacture can't afford to get their oil certified or is it that they don't want to and hope that the PR guys can talk a good line? I don't like to play shell games with my engines. Marketing and pr guys can tell you anything but, in the real world I just look at the data ie spects as usefull.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

The Amsoil 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 do meet the older MB 229.3 spec and their Series 3000, 5w-30 and 10w-40 meet the MB 229.1 specification.

The next time Amsoil reformulates, I'd expect most of their gas engine formulations will use an MB 229.5 additive chemistry ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

So would the Series 3000 5W-30 be a bad choice for a modern mercedes benz 2.7Liter I5 Turbodiesel?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
I happen to use Mobil 1 that meets the most stringent OEM spec in the world? Why would I use a considerably more expensive, hard to find oil if the manufacture can't afford to get their oil certified or is it that they don't want to and hope that the PR guys can talk a good line? I don't like to play shell games with my engines. Marketing and pr guys can tell you anything but, in the real world I just look at the data ie spects as usefull.

Absolutely! I'm continually amazed at the cavalier attitude of paying $30,000+ (and usually considerably more) for a car arguably considered at the pinnacle of current engineering practices and then playing motor oil "spin-the-bottle" even though the manufacturer has undertaken at considerable expense to codify what protects best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back