The Maverick Hybrid went to the dealer for 2 recalls today.

Took my Mav in for 2 recalls, 2 TSBs, and 2 warranty items. Gave me a new Explorer for a loaner.

Everything was done on 1st day but had to wait for one of the warranty item parts, not the airbags. Took 4 1/2 days.

Actually like the Mav much more than the Explorer in regards to the drivetrain. Hybrid vs. 10 speed trans which seemed to always be hunting for the right gear.

That's pretty common. If the line techs are backed up from other jobs that have taken longer than planned (or due to upsells), this can happen.

I have found that for anything other than an oil change, there's a good chance that you'll have to leave the car for a few days. I have found this to be true with many dealers, at least around here.
Putnam Lexus is very timely. And they have loaners for days!

That's pretty common. If the line techs are backed up from other jobs that have taken longer than planned (or due to upsells), this can happen.

I have found that for anything other than an oil change, there's a good chance that you'll have to leave the car for a few days. I have found this to be true with many dealers, at least around here.
Stuff happens in a shop. It is pretty common to have the people taking appointments have no idea whatsoever how long jobs take. Just today, so around 1:59PM I have had 17 calls transferred to me for people asking about recalls where parts are not required and it is just a reprogram.

I took my 12yo Mazda to the dealer last summer for a diagnosis and repair and they gave me a free Mazda CX-3 loaner. I’ve probably gotten a free loaner from them at least 4 times. Kinda funny bringing in a 12yo car and riding out in a free ride yet some dealers won’t even do it on a 1yo car in for warranty work…

The Maverick's first trip to dealer since purchase 11 months ago today. Had a 8am appointment for 2 recalls. So far it has been a genuine CF. Got there early so they had all day to replace the air bags. Waited over 50 minutes before they could take me for my rental down the road. Got to Hertz there and the pre-arranged rental was all goofed up. Nuff said about that. My rental is a recent Malibu. Don't know what is banging on the bottom of the car on any bump. I'm guessing motor mounts. Hoping its not a dead body from the previous renter.
To Be Continued Tomorrow
Fast forward to Monday afternoon. At 3:30pm "Shawn" called that the truck was ready and he wanted me to pick it up right away. Needless to say, I said I'm not coming back today. He was worried it I took it back in the morning they would clip me for another day. Told him that I was good until 9:15am on Tuesday.

Fast Forward to this Morning. The Hertz guys got me back to the dealer where the vehicle was ready. Then I asked about scheduling for a couple of TSB's and again I got pushback and claimed he could not find the TSB's. Handed him the numbers and he scheduled me for next Tuesday. They are trying everything not to do it right. Probably would just be better if they did it right away instead of their procrastination techniques.

Fast forward to Monday afternoon. At 3:30pm "Shawn" called that the truck was ready and he wanted me to pick it up right away. ....

Then I asked about scheduling for a couple of TSB's and again I got pushback and claimed he could not find the TSB's. Handed him the numbers and he scheduled me for next Tuesday. They are trying everything not to do it right. Probably would just be better if they did it right away instead of their procrastination techniques.
Glad you got it back. Hopefully no greasy paw-prints on the trim and headliner.

Are you experiencing problems related in the TSB(s)?
I haven't asked for a loaner since the 90's at a FORD/Hyundia dealer when they wer doing some transmission TSB repair they messed up. First they said they didnt have one, then the sevice manager shouted, "Kevin give him your car!" I ended up with one of the salesmen's "loaners".

I felt a little bad - for about 25 seconds :)

What's the issue with the airbags on these? They're too new to be impacted by the Takata debacle.

My Escape had a recall for something to do with injectors and possible leak/fire. I called the dealer and was told to bring it in about 6 weeks later with a specific appointment set. Went that day/time and nobody knew anything. No parts on hand. And this is a ~60 mile round trip. Don't know why they can't do their jobs correctly the first time. So the guy I'm talking to sets up for me to return in 1 week and he is going to order the parts. Went back in a week and got it done in about 3 hours. Then I ate at a Mexican restaurant in business on the island for over 100 years. Definitely made the drive more worthwhile.

Good luck on your adventures in recall land.

Glad you got it back. Hopefully no greasy paw-prints on the trim and headliner.

Are you experiencing problems related in the TSB(s)?
I haven't asked for a loaner since the 90's at a FORD/Hyundia dealer when they wer doing some transmission TSB repair they messed up. First they said they didnt have one, then the sevice manager shouted, "Kevin give him your car!" I ended up with one of the salesmen's "loaners".

I felt a little bad - for about 25 seconds :)
Jeff and Arco. I am experiencing the grabby brakes issue. They will reprogram the computer for different characteristics when the brakes switch between regenerative and the friction brakes.

This states CV axle problem ( replaced ) and upcoming replacement of faulty heat exchanger . May not like his view on the SUBARU he owned .

Last edited:
The recall for the curtain airbags has been interesting so far. We can't stock the parts and have to order them by VIN. Hopefully your dealer's appointment people let their parts department know when they make those appointments, ours doesn't.
I've never understood why recall parts had to be ordered by VIN. Is that so it gets put into the system as officially repaired?

I've never understood why recall parts had to be ordered by VIN. Is that so it gets put into the system as officially repaired?
It is to control quantity on hand at the PDCs. Otherwise you would get huge dealers ordering everything available and the smaller ones, like mine, not have any. Plus it helps a bunch when the part comes in and the VIN is on the PDC label which corresponds to the picking tickets I print for that order.

PDC = Parts Distribution Center. aka "the warehouse" from the Rock Auto commercial. I've been to the Ford one in Rancho Cucamonga and it is awesome.

@bdcardinal,

What's your impression of the Ford Maverick so far. It's not unusual for a new model to have some recalls/TSB's in the first year or two.

What about the hybrid engine vs. the Eco Boost? Any other major issues? Thank you.

EDIT: Regarding the OP's recall experience - well, LOTS of things are still not back to normal after the pandemic. Maybe this IS the new normal, sigh.

Back