The lure of the new ride (aka getting tired of current vehicle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all are a reasonable bunch so hopefully you can convince me to live with my problems and not buy something new out of spite.

Current vehicle: 2015 Toyota Tacoma with only about 30k miles because I work from home. I've taken really good care of it since day 1 ownership, but I swear this has been a bad year for the truck.

June: OEM windshield got a sudden crack, so I take it to the shop in town that has the best reviews and reputation, and the most careless employee there ended up with the job (as I would later find out). The glass ended up being poor chinese quality and the worker managed to scratch the vin plate while cutting out the glass, put scratches into the A-pillars and roof. I had to wet sand, polish, and touch up paint so many places. Found a better shop to install a less-distorted windshield, but because it's made by a different mfr (Fuyao vs OEM which is Pilkington) it seems like the "mold" is not the same so this windshield has very noticeable distortion at the "bends" where the glass curves towards the sides. No glass shop in town can source a replacement windshield that's actually made by a Pilkington DOT number factory so I'm SOL. Every time I drive I see the distortion in the glass and have regret that I didn't just live with the cracked OEM windshield.

July: I was fairly happy with the windshield work that the latter shop did, so I pick them to tint my front windows as a gesture of me being a thankful and faithful customer. Bad decision because as I find out, their tint guy isn't good. First try goes fairly well but he managed to leave tool marks on the tint, so I have to take the truck back to have it redone. Second try he puts the tint down without tool marks, but I notice that he used the wrong type of film so now the driver and passenger windows have a different "shade" in low light (one has a blue haze, the other just looks black). I then start detail inspecting the work and see that the tint job was NOT done well, and that he managed to put a deep scratch into the passenger glass during removal of the 1st tint (probably with a razor blade for cleaning the glue). Also managed to scratch up the door panel with the same razor blade, and left cut marks on the exterior window rubber trim (from where he would have traced the glass pattern onto the tint with an Olfa knife).

The tint shop was not made aware of their mistakes because I had just lost all faith at that point. I wasn't going to keep taking my vehicle back to the same place where they were so careless in the first place. I gave up -- I didn't have the time to keep driving 45 mins across town to them and having to explain myself.

It's like every time I handed my keys over to a stranger this year, it screwed me. Prior to all of this, the truck was so pristine. Now I'm living with a cruddy windshield, gouge marks around the windshield that could potentially rust some day (despite my best efforts to tough them up), scratched door panels, scratched glass, scratched outer trim, and a cruddy tint job.

Mechanically the truck is fine. Luckily I didn't have to get any engine or trans work done this year or goodness who knows how that would have gone with my current bad luck streak.

But it's just eating away at me that these things happened because I voluntarily handed my keys over to people whose livelihood it is to do these things for a living. It's one thing to cause damage yourself to your vehicle, and another if someone you trusted does it.

So I've been eyeing new vehicles lately, and I'm sure I can still get really good trade in on my truck due to the mileage and it being in great shape to the non-detailed eye.

What's a guy to do?

What a bummer! I can sympathize!

You sound like you have a loyalty to your truck. Good man, I like people who treat their vehicles with respect and affection!

But you are the one who chose its "doctors", and the doctors you chose did a crappy job. It wasn't the truck's fault. So are you going to punish the truck for your bad doctor selection?

Keep your truck. Either fix what they ruined, or let time make those wounds fade and disappear.

FWIW, I have personal experience with windshield replacement companies (Safelite), and they totally effed up my wife's Mercedes. In the process of removing the windshield they cut the wiring to the center rear view mirror. That section of wiring is runs the entire length of the headliner - and it's glued to it as well - before it disappears down a C-pillar. To fix their mistake, which they said they would do, required removal of the windshield so that could R&R the entire headliner. I took a pass on that and ordered a new section of wiring harness and spliced in the damaged section with soldered joints. Thankfully everything worked.

And then with window tinting. I took the car I cared least about first, as a way to verify their quality. Then I took a second car in as a further check. They did both cars to my satisfaction. Then I took my third car there, the one I told them was most important to me, and I had to take it back three times to have rework done on two windows. They had a really bad attitude about it, even after me spending over $1500 with them. Window tint shops are a crap shoot. I am convinced their Yelp reviews were bold faced lies and were posted by friends and family.

In summary, keep you truck! It's an innocent victim in this situation. Plus, the economy may be slowing. Do you want to spend a bunch of cash or incur more debt with that possibility?

Scott

All the same nonsense could happen on a new vehicle unless you never have anyone work on it. Or do more homework on who's going to do the work. Ask the manager if his best guy can work on your vehicle because you're very particular and want it done right without causing damage.

I'd be angry too if those things happened as I totally despise people who are hacks and can't do good work. If trading it off for a new vehicle makes you happier then only you can decide to make that move since it's your money.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
What a bummer! I can sympathize!

You sound like you have a loyalty to your truck. Good man, I like people who treat their vehicles with respect and affection!

But you are the one who chose its "doctors", and the doctors you chose did a crappy job. It wasn't the truck's fault. So are you going to punish the truck for your bad doctor selection?

Keep your truck. Either fix what they ruined, or let time make those wounds fade and disappear.

FWIW, I have personal experience with windshield replacement companies (Safelite), and they totally effed up my wife's Mercedes. In the process of removing the windshield they cut the wiring to the center rear view mirror. That section of wiring is runs the entire length of the headliner - and it's glued to it as well - before it disappears down a C-pillar. To fix their mistake, which they said they would do, required removal of the windshield so that could R&R the entire headliner. I took a pass on that and ordered a new section of wiring harness and spliced in the damaged section with soldered joints. Thankfully everything worked.

And then with window tinting. I took the car I cared least about first, as a way to verify their quality. Then I took a second car in as a further check. They did both cars to my satisfaction. Then I took my third car there, the one I told them was most important to me, and I had to take it back three times to have rework done on two windows. They had a really bad attitude about it, even after me spending over $1500 with them. Window tint shops are a crap shoot. I am convinced their Yelp reviews were bold faced lies and were posted by friends and family.

In summary, keep you truck! It's an innocent victim in this situation. Plus, the economy may be slowing. Do you want to spend a bunch of cash or incur more debt with that possibility?

Scott

Thank you for the very insightful point! And thank you for sharing your stories.

Eventually a new car crosses over into used car territory and eventually it's a beater. You can't stop the march of time. It's entering used car territory and it sounds like you like to feel that it's still a new car. Eventually you have to move on and accept that as the car ages, it's going to accumulate defects. Every few months I find new scratches or dents in my car from other careless drivers who park or drive near my car. All I do is sigh and get on with life.

"If" it bothers you that much and I know how a person can become attached to things. Maybe sell it + new truck =
grin.gif
OR Maybe check on trading it in on a new Tacoma =
grin.gif

I just retired and ordered a '19 Challenger R/T Shaker 6 speed. Because I like toys.........and other than warranty issues (Hopefully none) "Nobody" will touch my car.
grin.gif

I really hope everything works out for you!!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Eventually a new car crosses over into used car territory and eventually it's a beater. You can't stop the march of time. It's entering used car territory and it sounds like you like to feel that it's still a new car. Eventually you have to move on and accept that as the car ages, it's going to accumulate defects. Every few months I find new scratches or dents in my car from other careless drivers who park or drive near my car. All I do is sigh and get on with life.

This. I recently compounded, polished, and waxed my Escape... The "nicest" (looking, this stupid turd is so slow) car I've ever owned. Since then I've got two big door dings. Now I just don't care anymore. I'm sorry those people ruined such a nice truck but other people just don't care and there's a point at which you have to let go.

Originally Posted by dave1251
It's still a good truck and keep her a few more years. Maybe by then Toyota will make a better truck.

Thanks Dave. Agree.

Originally Posted by oldhp
"If" it bothers you that much and I know how a person can become attached to things. Maybe sell it + new truck =
grin.gif
grin.gif

I just retired and ordered a '19 Challenger R/T Shaker 6 speed. Because I like toys.........and other than warranty issues (Hopefully none) "Nobody" will touch my car.
grin.gif

cheers3.gif

Thank you.

I can certainly sympathize, and understand your frustration at going through all those hassles. My advice would be to get your truck the best it can be so that you are happier with it, like the careful repairs you did with the paint scratches from the windshield installation. It sucks when things like that happen, but those things can happen with new cars just as easily, and it is stressful.

Your new windshield will need replacement someday anyway, because of another crack or pitting. And scratches and door dings will continue to happen, despite your best efforts. I have found with my cars kind of a sweet spot is when they have some years and miles on them.. not perfect anymore so no point in being too fussy, but still reliable and decent cosmetically.

On one hand, those are fairly minor and easily (relatively) fixed issues.

On the other, I'm a firm believer in if you are unhappy with your vehicle, you're far far less inclined to actually take care of it. What sense is there in keeping a vehicle that you don't like and just stresses you out every time you drive it, especially if you're in the financial position to get someone you actually want?

When I had my Caliber, it was just "an car" (RCR reference) to me. It got an oil change once a year (~5,000 miles), the front sway bar bushings were absolutely destroyed causing the bar to rattle, front struts were leaking, I never washed the road salt off it in the ~3 years I owned it... I just didn't care as much as I should have.

My 300 though? I LOVE that car. In the winter it gets a weekly or bi-weekly undercarriage blast, oil change every 5,000 miles (I live significantly further from work now). Any maintenance bits that need attention will get the attention they need unlike what I did with the Caliber. I plan on getting it paint corrected and ceramic coated. It's not just "an car" to me, it's MY car.

I understand where your coming from

It seems no matter how much research and time you put into due diligence, and even after spending top dollar

The work sucks

It seems the only escape would be a new car, but eventually it will be the same story

I've just come to accept you can't keep a car "like new" anymore

Or at least, not on the time/money budgets of a full time working individual

Originally Posted by oldhp
grin.gif
grin.gif

grin.gif

cheers3.gif

Until it needs tires and idiot tire tech leaves greasy finger prints inside your interior and scratches all your wheels when mounting your tires.

Many bad mechanics don't care about damaging a customer's vehicle.

That sucks. I feel your pain. That said, you rarely drive the truck, so I'd just keep it. It will last forever, mechanically, and it sure is nice not to have a note I'd imagine. Once I pay my vehicle off, I'm not trading it in for 10 years or 300K miles, which ever hits first.

Not much I can add. Doesn't make sense to trade, but I can get why the love affair might end. Just the other day I noticed a patch of rust on a door of my truck, and suddenly I was thinking of trading. It's not that I want (much less need) anything shiny, it was just the notion that it was no longer "exactly" what I bought and maintained.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
On one hand, those are fairly minor and easily (relatively) fixed issues.

On the other, I'm a firm believer in if you are unhappy with your vehicle, you're far far less inclined to actually take care of it. What sense is there in keeping a vehicle that you don't like and just stresses you out every time you drive it, especially if you're in the financial position to get someone you actually want?

When I had my Caliber, it was just "an car" (RCR reference) to me. It got an oil change once a year (~5,000 miles), the front sway bar bushings were absolutely destroyed causing the bar to rattle, front struts were leaking, I never washed the road salt off it in the ~3 years I owned it... I just didn't care as much as I should have.

My 300 though? I LOVE that car. In the winter it gets a weekly or bi-weekly undercarriage blast, oil change every 5,000 miles (I live significantly further from work now). Any maintenance bits that need attention will get the attention they need unlike what I did with the Caliber. I plan on getting it paint corrected and ceramic coated. It's not just "an car" to me, it's MY car.

Bingo. This truck was my "Golden Boy" and I went to incredible lengths to maintain it.

Thanks all for the replies. The varying opinions do help.

Just remember , 100 years from now , it will not matter , anyway .

A vehicle is just something to keep you from walking . Now a days , hopefully , in comfort .

All of this is not personal . Just not professional

I feel that my OCD is less than many others here, but I'm sure lots of people here are identifying with your situation, so the good comment above by WyrTwister is hard to accept by many (although is 100% correct ). The advice that the same things are likely to happen to another new truck hits home for me. In my case, instead of ruminating about these things, I'm best off to address and fix the problem the "best" possible, and then move on with the imperfection. I've had VEERY similar experiences with my current vehicle and I really research materials and mechanics.

From experience, I know that if you come down with a serious illness or some other life altering event, these type of things tend to take on less importance. That all comes with growing older. I love to take care of the minimal possessions I have, but it is not good for your well being to have life revolve around it. Yea, I know, these comments don't really help. Good luck!!!

I've given up on keeping vehicles pristine. It's just not possible unless it sits in a garage all the time. As long as I can get it clean enough inside and shined up enough outside to be worth something when I go to sell it, that's fine. Unfortunately, being in NY, none of it matters as the vehicles will ultimately rust out anyway.

My Subaru hasn't had a great time lately either. Got caught in a pretty sever thunderstorm with high winds and hail. No hail damage, thankfully, but some brush blew by and scratched the roof through the clear coat. I hit a deer with it. Not enough damage to warrant a visit to the body shop, but enough that I can see it every time. A tree fell down on US11 at night and I didn't see it until the last minute, there's now a few scratches ont he passenger side.

I decided a few months ago I wanted to try to clean the seats myself. Bought some woolite and it worked great! But I ran out so I picked up some "great value" fabric cleaner. Bad idea - that stained the seat I used it on. I was able to run the great value stain out to a seam in the seat and it's barely noticeable, but I know it's there. And it frustrates me.

But it's the perfect DD and weekend warrior car for me and my needs, so I'll keep up with as much as I can.

I have a similar affliction; as I noted in another topic, I even want my Mini Clubman work beater to look nice. I've gone as far as replacing faded trim and just last week I ordered a set of Bavsound replacement speakers for it.
That said, I find minor flaws fade in importance after a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back