The last minute of a song

There are a few songs where I enjoy, after playing it through, going back to around the one minute mark and listening to the last minute again...and again. Sometimes I do it without listening to the whole song. Anyone else do this?

Here are three "last minutes" which I have probably played the last minute of probably as many times as I've heard the song since I first heard it!

The absolute worst 3 minutes of a song ever written, or having to listen to is, "Hey Jude" by the Beatles. 3 straight minutes of, "Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Na, Hey Jude!"

It's the only song that comes on where I will turn off the radio until it's over. And I've done it ever since it was released back in August of 1968.
It's crazy, the 'Na Nas' are over half the song--approximately the last four minutes of the seven-minute song!

At the 3:20 mark of this 4:31 song, Neal Schon gives us a great solo to close out the song. There’s a reason Carlos Santana and Gregg Rollie brought him into Santana as a teenager, he’s a phenomenal guitar player.

Journey-Edge of the blade

The last 64 seconds of, "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles is every string instrument "dying down" from its last note/chord.

My thanks to the radio DJ who played and timed it as I probably wouldn't've.

There are a few songs where I enjoy, after playing it through, going back to around the one minute mark and listening to the last minute again...and again. Sometimes I do it without listening to the whole song. Anyone else do this?

Here are three "last minutes" which I have probably played the last minute of probably as many times as I've heard the song since I first heard it!

Go to that there live version of Mission and that's a perfect example...

Steely Dan - Reelin' In The Years and Night By Night
Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing
Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger
Beatles - Helter Skelter

I might have OCD about some things but no, not that. ;)
Lol! Not OCD. It's that even after Boston's MTAF came out 46 years ago, I still get the occasional chill when listening to it! As the others. And then I replay the last minute...again! lol.

Just for a visualization of the rediculousness of the Hey Jude lyrics.

(Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Jude, Jude, hey Jude, hey Jude, hey Jude, hey Jude, hey Jude, hey. Ow, whacko! (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Ow, whoo! Na, na, na, na. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, oooh. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Well, you know you can make it, Jude. Jude, you're not gonna break it. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Don't make it bad, Jude. Take a sad song and make it better. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Jude, Jude. Hey Jude. Whaaaaaaaa, ah, ah, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Oooh, Jude. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Hey, hey, hey, eh, eh, eh, eh. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Hey, na, na, na. Uh, hey, hey, hey, hey. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Hey, hey, hey. Now Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Hey, hey, hey, hey. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Oh, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma. Don't you think you wanna ma, ma. Na, na, na, na. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Na, na, na, na, na. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Na, na. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na! Wow! Hey. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Hey, don't feel bad, Jude. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Yeah, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Make it, Jude. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby, yeah! (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! Yeah, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Go listen to your ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma. Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Oh baby, na, na, na, na, na, na. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Listen here, Jude. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.)

TL;DR -- That's only 239 Na's!

The Who - The Song Is Over. The ending of that song includes a great solo performance by Keith Moon ending with the final guitar chord.

Just for a visualization of the rediculousness of the Hey Jude lyrics.

(Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Jude, Jude, hey Jude, hey Jude, hey Jude, hey Jude, hey Jude, hey. Ow, whacko! (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Ow, whoo! Na, na, na, na. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, oooh. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Well, you know you can make it, Jude. Jude, you're not gonna break it. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Don't make it bad, Jude. Take a sad song and make it better. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Jude, Jude. Hey Jude. Whaaaaaaaa, ah, ah, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Oooh, Jude. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Hey, hey, hey, eh, eh, eh, eh. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Hey, na, na, na. Uh, hey, hey, hey, hey. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Hey, hey, hey. Now Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, Jude, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Hey, hey, hey, hey. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Oh, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma. Don't you think you wanna ma, ma. Na, na, na, na. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Na, na, na, na, na. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Na, na. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na! Wow! Hey. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Hey, don't feel bad, Jude. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Yeah, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Make it, Jude. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, baby, yeah! (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! Yeah, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.) Go listen to your ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma, ma. Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Na, na, na, na, na, na, na. Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude. Oh baby, na, na, na, na, na, na. (Na, na, na, na, na, na, na.) Listen here, Jude. (Na, na, na, na. Hey Jude.)

TL;DR -- That's only 239 Na's!
The Beatles put out a lot of crap in their heyday. They were a victim, (or rather their fans were), of their own success. "Yellow Submarine" was another POS.

It's crazy, the 'Na Nas' are over half the song--approximately the last four minutes of the seven-minute song!
And what really irritates me about "Hey Jude", is everytime I hear Paul McCartney interviewed about it, he always goes into this complex explanation of how the song contains some, "deep meaning" that describes what the band was going through at the time. (What, I have no idea).

I don't care. It certainly doesn't help the song sound any better, or make it anymore painless to listen to. The song was pure garbage, that was put out by the biggest and more popular rock group in the world at that time. They could basically do no wrong when it came to selling records. Regardless of how bad they were.

At the time, they could have put out a 3 minute song of pigs being slaughtered at a stockyard, and it would have went to number one. It really got tiresome, because they got so sloppy with some of their music because of that.

I remember I cheered when Dean Martin knocked the Beatles, and "A Hard Day's Night" out of the #1 slot, when he released, "Everybody Loves Somebody". That song went on to become Dean Martin's trademark. And it was so popular that it's on his gravestone.

Oh, yeah. This is a very very easy one for me.

This is an absolutely garbage song except for the last minute almost exactly.

Start the video at 4:04 which I think is a minute and 3 or minute and 4 seconds away from the end and play it over and over.

Possibly the best outro I have come across at least in a while because this one has stuck in my mind. It's the musicality for me so here we go I'll submit it.

Technically even at 3:54
I absolutely hate and dislike everything about this song except for the time period I mentioned.

Last edited:
Back