The Kia Coupe (Koup) SX detailing thread (progress/updates)

I'll try to make this mostly pictures of the progress of the Kia Coupe (Koup) SX back to its former glory lol. To give a touch of back ground, its a 2.4L 6 Speed Manual in black. Paint looks very nice, with no real swirls to speak of, so I think with a coat of wax and or ceramic wax the paint will bounce back beautifully, also the body has no rot.
Interior is pretty dirty, but not undoable. Nothing is broken missing or anything like that. They definitely had a small dog that shed, and the AMG floor mats need to go lol. The leather is in acceptable condition very slight wear on driver side bolster, but again with a good cleaning and conditioning I think they will look very acceptable in this car, and will look the part especially with the red stitching.. This is also a smoke free vehicle, it will not be show room perfect but it will be nice enough to use as a DD.

This is how i picked it up. i did not clean or touch a thing..

This will be the dedicated detail / resurrection thread on this Kia coupe. I will update often as progress emerges. Enjoy!.
IMG_0210.jpeg
IMG_0212.jpeg
IMG_0211.jpeg
IMG_0214.jpeg
IMG_0215 (1).jpeg

People are slobs.....that is a really nice looking car though and will clean up nicely. To bad they left their mess for you.

Stage one! Its an honest 6F outside, but progress was made!, I will clean the interior a couple more times, but for the first shot, it really is cleaning up very well! The engine pic is just to show how "dirty" it is, that will be next lol.
IMG_0219.jpeg
IMG_0221.jpeg
IMG_0222.jpeg
IMG_0223.jpeg
IMG_0224.jpeg
IMG_0225.jpeg
IMG_0227.jpeg
IMG_0228.jpeg
IMG_0229.jpeg
IMG_0230.jpeg

Stage two!. I wlll do stage 3 once it warms, and i can shampoo the rugs.. i plan on getting OEM floor mats soon. The red stitching came back to life, as i stand now with interior, i will use it for a few days, and clean and condition again but not shampoo. Next up exterior, a thorough undercarriage clean, and engine! :)
IMG_0236.jpeg
IMG_0238.jpeg
IMG_0240.jpeg
IMG_0241.jpeg
IMG_0239.jpeg
IMG_0243.jpeg

also, how would i go about getting all this off the exhaust tips? I tried brake cleaner that didn't do a thing. I used never dull in the past, should i pick up some more? Think that would work on this?
IMG_0244.jpeg

also, how would i go about getting all this off the exhaust tips? I tried brake cleaner that didn't do a thing. I used never dull in the past, should i pick up some more? Think that would work on this?
View attachment 86349
Eagle One Never-Dull wadding Polish will clean that up, but for the carbon deposits you might have to break out the heavy artillery. Oven cleaner with lye, but it will risk ruining the chrome.

Another thought - paint stripper that contains methylene chloride or a long soak in B-12 Chemdip. Do be warned, that will take off any lacquer or clear coat on the tips.

Think i did pretty well with the tips, while not perfect, the tips are ALOT better. I will probably tackle them again just to touch it up, but I'm happy with the results as of now. I had to use an actual superfine sandpaper to get off the baked on carbon and rust, so now there are super fine scratches but at least it's clean and looks way better. Will power wash all salt off car today so it will be clean for a day.
IMG_0303.jpeg
IMG_0304.jpeg
IMG_0305.jpeg

a suggestion and of course you can do what you want but are you using something in your photos to enhance the look???some setting on your camera???...I applaud your work and it looks great but there appears, at least to my 27" iMac that there is some photo processing going on and it detracts to my eyes on all the work your are doing and have done in this and other threads...

continued success...

Bill

a suggestion and of course you can do what you want but are you using something in your photos to enhance the look???some setting on your camera???...I applaud your work and it looks great but there appears, at least to my 27" iMac that there is some photo processing going on and it detracts to my eyes on all the work your are doing and have done in this and other threads...

continued success...

Bill
Bill (That was my dad name!) no photo editing, point and shot on a Iphone 13 Pro Max. I believe that there's just so much detail and the pictures are shrunk that it appears they pixelated or something.

Here is a little manual engine detail, this AM. Its cleaning up very nicely. Cleaner was actually freezing on the metal so that's there is some frozen cleaner in the photos. :ROFLMAO:
IMG_0325.jpeg
IMG_0326.jpeg

Nice progress. I would agree with the previous poster though. It seems like there’s some type of filter or camera setting that’s kicking in. The colors and lighting seem a bit “over exaggerated” maybe it’s the new camera, no idea.

Nice progress. I would agree with the previous poster though. It seems like there’s some type of filter or camera setting that’s kicking in. The colors and lighting seem a bit “over exaggerated” maybe it’s the new camera, no idea.
Thanks!

Wow!, you guys are good!! There was a setting under the camera app on IOS - photo capture - " photographic styles" and vibrant was selected!!!! Have no idea how that was even selected, or why. This might of been from the 7+ days, and the setting kept transferring over every time I upgraded.... :unsure:

Back