The Journey of a Humble Tire: Why prices are still so high

Didn't go through that whole novel, but you have to shop around. That size starts at $88, https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/225-60-18 and even when you add installation, the total would be at least $100 less than where she went. And if you make minimum wage, a used tire store would be a better option. $100 would have gotten her down the road another year or two.
However, if you compare the prices for the SAME brand, the tires she bought, at the site you posted, would have been more than $20.00 additional per tire. She'd still have to add the various ancillary charges when the tires were installed.

Are you faulting her for buying a new tire at a local (and probably trusted) shop?

Last edited:
After years of perusing used tire stores I conclude they are all (city vs country) beyond insulting re tread depth/price; laughably expensive.

If there's a good one near you atikovi, that's great. I could see losing one tire and needing just one, worn tire.

Years ago I helped a pair of older ladies change a tire. The spare had air. The lady offered me a tip.
I declined the tip and bluntly suggested she save up for a set of new tires.
I even told her a policeman could issue an equipment ticket because they were so thin.

Reactions: GON
Let's see, they charge $145 for the tire and $30 for Mount and balance for a Vietnamese made no-name tire. Multiply this by two and it just isn't a good purchase. This lady would have been much better off had she gone to the local WalMart. She'd have saved between $65 - $85 on these two tires. Shame on Williams Tire and Auto.

And these costs, plus scarcity, are reasons I'm wrestling with the decision to replace my 5/32nd 6 year old tires now, or wait a year and squeeze the last miles from them. It all adds up...

I have a new set of 2019 age tires in the garage waiting to be put into duty. Wait or swap now, is the decision.

Next time someone goes car shopping they should price out a set of new tires, an oil change, a tank of gas, and the 100k mile service. That woman sounds like she could have been better served getting a Corolla riding on 195/65/15s. Not everyone "needs" a cute-ute.

Let's see, they charge $145 for the tire and $30 for Mount and balance for a Vietnamese made no-name tire. Multiply this by two and it just isn't a good purchase. This lady would have been much better off had she gone to the local WalMart. She'd have saved between $65 - $85 on these two tires. Shame on Williams Tire and Auto.

Absolutely.

There are similar tires in Walmart's lineup for this vehicle for half that cost each. 225/65/17's can be had for ~$75/ea.

The average consumer isn't aware you can go this route, or they do and they have the resources to spend more and go elsewhere.

Absolutely.

There are similar tires in Walmart's lineup for this vehicle for half that cost each. 225/65/17's can be had for ~$75/ea.

The average consumer isn't aware you can go this route, or they do and they have the resources to spend more and go elsewhere.
Probably this guy doesn't get the discounts walmart does, and can't sell too many tires as loss leaders, but a very budget conscious buyer should be calling around.
I doubt walmart was going to let anyone report on how they do business either.
I try to divert a bit of my spending to the local guys, and not flush all my money to the Waltons and Asia...

I just bought My Niece a set of tires ,and an alignment for her Toyota Tundra as a birthday gift . It is hard to imagine people not realizing their cars cost so much per mile they drive and do not save up pennies to make dollars to maintain their vehicles.

I just bought My Niece a set of tires ,and an alignment for her Toyota Tundra as a birthday gift . It is hard to imagine people not realizing their cars cost so much per mile they drive and do not save up pennies to make dollars to maintain their vehicles.
Most of the locals here have expired plates, unreadable ancient temporary tags, careening about with random body parts hanging off-guessing no license nor insurance either. If they need tires, they would just go to the local used tire guy (who picks through my indy mechanic's junk tire pile & buys other tire company cast-offs!)! Worst thing is, the needy mother in the linked story was sold 2 of the cheapest tires one could buy, Milestars! At least in Mississippi, snow shouldn't be a problem! Hope the CVT outlasts the tires...

Last edited:
In my opinion, spending some extra cash is well worth it at the local tire shop. In my experience/opinion, buying tires at walmart actually costs more with poor service, over tightened lugs, credit card machies that dont work properly, faulty installation, etc. Workers that hate being there and even tell you so. And going back to undo all this. I avoid WM

Compare to inflation it is not that bad, everything went up in price, apple to apple. If you are comparing low profile 18" tire to 14" then yeah it is more expensive obviously.

Back