The Jetta died at at stop today :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2014 VW Jetta died at a stop this evening. It only has 46,000 miles on it and has been maintained well since new. There was no warning at all, I drove up to a stop sign, stopped completely, then hit the gas and nothing happened. It had just died. The battery light was on, but NO other lights. I went to restart and it took 4 times (started on the 4th try). A couple of times it would sputter for a second but then would die.

Any idea what is causing this? I don't THINK its bad gas because I filled it up about a week ago and haven't had any other issues until today. Also, I scanned for codes but nothing showed up. It has about a month or so left on the powertrain warranty, so I am going to try and get it into the dealer.

This happened to my sister's 2013 Jetta 2.5. The battery terminals had loosened by themselves. Happened once, I tightened them, and it hasn't happened since.

Originally Posted by eljefino
stick or automatic?

Auto. I hope to get this fixed since this is my wifes daily. I'm glad it happened at a stop and while I was driving.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
This happened to my sister's 2013 Jetta 2.5. The battery terminals had loosened by themselves.

That's where I'd start.

Is it direct injection. Saw something recently that VW's were really bad for DI and carbon build up causing cars to stop running randomly at relatively low mileage. Let us know what you find out.

Have it running and tug on the under hood wiring harness.

I'd also get an OBD dongle and watch the engine temp and oxygen sensors for anything jumpy. That it took four cranks to get going indicates it either flooded out or starved for fuel.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
This happened to my sister's 2013 Jetta 2.5. The battery terminals had loosened by themselves.

That's where I'd start.

Just checked, terminals fine.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Is it direct injection. Saw something recently that VW's were really bad for DI and carbon build up causing cars to stop running randomly at relatively low mileage. Let us know what you find out.

All DI engines experience it so some degree, the old VW 1.8 FSI was pretty bad, but the new EA888 1.8 TSI seems to be MUCH better in that regard.

With engine stop/start we're going to be seeing a lot more of this. The winners will be the brands who (mostly) avoid issues, and the owners show choose them.

Check the cables going to the main fuse and relay box, it was very common on the older ones to loose power to everything momentarily and never throw a code.
The wires are connected to 4 in the diagram.

9283275.png

That's a bummer. Good luck on getting it fixed. I'd wiggle stuff around and see if anything feels loose.

Get an OBDELEVEN and plug it in and check for faults. It will reveal problems way before the car pops a CEL. I properly diagnosed a leaking thermostat housing on my Audi 2 weeks before it finally threw a CEL while the dealership was working on it after I showed them the stored faults.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Does the 1.8 of this gen suffer TCT issues like the Audi 2.0?

No. If by TCT you mean twin clutch transmission, DSG in VW terms, i think the Jetta has the 6 speed automatic not the DSG. I think this 6 speed automatic is made by Aisin?

Since you've already checked for loose battery cables and there are no codes, get this thing to a dealer ASAP.
Intermittent electrical problems can be extremely hard to diagnose. If this is a common problem, the dealer techs will know exactly where to go and if not, since the problem started while within warranty, it'll be VW's problem to diagnose and fix.

That is just mess up on so many different levels. No car is allowed to died before 200k miles with minor maintenances such as fluid changes and wearable components should only include brakes and tires while starter, alternator, and fuel pump should last over 200k miles or at least 15 years.

Good luck and just buy a Honda with a good tranny next time,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back