The Jeep's Gas Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I took these videos while I was borrowing my grandpas Jeep this week. The gas gauge has been acting up for a couple years, and I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue in the instrument cluster or in the sending unit. I've also heard that the sending unit for the gauge is all on piece in the tank with the fuel pump. It made me think it had 1/8 of a tank the other day because it usually will go down lower on the gauge and I was heading for the gas station when I ran out of gas. Which do you guys think it is? The first video is while driving, the second is after being parked on level ground for a while and then rocking the Jeep back and forth. It's a 96' Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L and 4x4

Thanks

http://youtu.be/kuR3lS3qIkc

http://youtu.be/ag_SJDzMQuQ

We've had the same issue with our '98 Cherokee for years. We had a leak at the top of the tank so I installed a tank assembly from a junk yard (with the pump/sender installed in it) and still had a problem with the gauge fluctuating/not working at times.

I found some corrosion at one of the three harnesses at the right side of the engine bay at the rear of the engine and cleaned all three harnesses real well. The problem has minimized greatly and now, occasionally, when raining, the gauge will drop to empty, jump to full, and so on and so on....I'm guessing moisture is getting to it somewhere.

Ours is not repaired but 99% of the time works properly so I haven't looked into it anymore.

Last edited:
I would just reset the trip meter when you fill up. Take the tank gallons and multiply by expected MPG, with a reserve. As long as all drivers abide by the procedure it will work for the rest of the vehicle life.

With an older vehicle, unless it's an easy fix, I wouldn't spend much time troubleshooting.

Yep - we've been resetting our tripometer for years and simply fill up around 250-260 miles max. I haven't been motivated enough to really look into ours.

Maybe the sending unit needs cleaning. You could try running some Techron Concentrate in the gas to see if that helps.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Maybe the sending unit needs cleaning. You could try running some Techron Concentrate in the gas to see if that helps.

this would do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back