The Itch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the SHORTEST OCI you've run just to scratch the itch? I know we're supposed to want to run longer OCIs but I know everyone here has had the itch.

I will change it out early in December or so if I realize it will need to be done in January or February so that I don't have to be under a car in 0 degrees. That is about the only reason I ever change it out early.

I`v changed it out in a few hundred miles already......
27.gif

I think around 5 or 6 thousand Km's. I try to shoot for 12,000Km but recently always seem to do it around the 10K mark.

i have had many itches, its a problem i have.

bought the jeep from a dealer, they did an oil change. well i changed it 1000 miles after because i didn't trust them. oil came out clean. then i couldn't get the oil filter off. so i ran the next change for 1500 miles and wanted the filter changed so i just did a whole oil change now that i had a filter wrench.
then i beat on the jeep at the dunes a changed out some mobil 1 after only 3500 miles.

then i put some mobil 1 tdt in and changed that after only 2500 miles "because i mudd bogged it, had a fram TG filter on it and this was the first time using a HDEO and wanted to get the gunk it broke up out". LOL turned out to be a good call because the oil did have a bit of sludge in it.

i now have more mobil 1 tdt with a pureone filter and im going to hold out as long as possible. probably till january to go for M1 0w-40 for winter, so that will probably only be 4k miles.

i have a problem lol

Last edited:
About 30 miles, but I didn't through the oil away, it got used in lawnmowers and for topping up other cars.
I usually change oil well before it'd done because I want to use something else. I simply don't put enough miles on my cars to wait for a normal OCI as much as I would like to.
Since I have oil gauges in all my cars, once I understand the viscosity characteristics of a given oil I'm ready to try something else. There are too many interesting oils out there to try.

Ive run oil for 1,000 miles kinda like a flush to clean out motor and whatnot but other than that at least 3k miles for me...i dont go much beyond 3k even though I know I could

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
i always got that itch. but i also want my moneys worth!

Yep, me too. The G5 is at 25% on the OLM right now and I debate to change now or wait almost daily...lol

I find that when I get a new car, or switch to a new oil, I am very anxious to do an oil change in order to see my very first UOA with that new car or oil! Like right now, with my Civic I'm very anxious to see what kind of results I am gonna get. At the same time, I want the amount of miles to be reasonable enough that I'm not just draining perfectly good oil that could have easily gone thousands and thousands more miles.

I'm at just under 4000 miles on the oil in my Civic right now, and will wait another month to change it. I want to time the change so I'm doing it right before the snow hits here.

So right now I've definitely got "the itch" but I'm not scratching it just yet!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back