The Internet information highway of 1935

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can't find something interesting or something you did not know here then there's no help for you.

You can even learn how to talk to someone else over a light beam with instructions and a diagram.

Pg 133A talking about light oil in 1935 still no difference from the discussions in BITOG in 2014.

Gotta like the pre-transistor age. The Homcharger looks interesting back then, 10 amp charge like todays smart chargers.

Last edited:
I always liked Popular Science, Popular Mechanics and Mechanics Illustrated. I had a full collection of Popular Science published in the 1960's as a kid.

The cool fedoras in the ads, like the pipe tobacco one with Pat O'Brien! In fact, the sheer volume of the ads is astonishing. And they put this magazine together, not once a quarter, but every month!

Love reading through those old magazines. Cleaning out a grandparents house turned up piles of Pop Mechanics. Too bad they had gotten moldy, could read for but minutes before the smell would get to me.

Read any of Tom McCahill stuff? He was trying to figure out why coasting in neutral was so bad, since you could easily bump mpg's by doing so (not that he was worried about mpgs I suspect, but that was what the article was about). He thought the brakes were so great on the car in question--and this was an article from 1955!

Did you scroll to the end and see the ad for Camel cigs?

Talk about being able to find bunk information no matter the media.

McCahill was worth the price of the magazine all by himself.

I'd be in the market if someone published all his test reports. They make great reading. It would be nice to read responses from the auto manufacturers, too. His comment about the 48 Olds about what if feels like to step on the gas pedal are classic McCahill.

Fascinating article on television on pp. 322-324. I didn't realize that a lot of TV experimentation was going on in 1935. The cover of the magazine is also interesting, showing helicopters! Almost 20 years ahead of its time.

Interesting advertisement about what to do in case you are too skinny! You would never need to run that ad today!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Interesting advertisement about what to do in case you are too skinny! You would never need to run that ad today!

Actually, I have seen a similar ad on TV within the last couple of years with nearly the same terminology. Some kind of bulk up pill to gain weight. Some people just have super active metabolisms and I guess not much of an appetite. I think a heavy dose of Logan's Roadhouse should fix anybody, but I guess some would rather do it with a pill. I'd rather eat excessively.

The ads are incredibly interesting. In some ways, things haven't changed, but in others they have changed drastically.

The "learn a trade at home, on your time!" stuff is EXACTLY what's peddled on TV today. Practically nothing different in the basic message..."learn to work on cool [censored] and make money!" Probably just as much of a pipe dream for many too.

It's a lot more DIY stuff than you would read about anywhere today though. People just buy everything now. In pre-war depression America, it seems there was a much greater emphasis on reusing things and DIYing things. Note all the ads with "make a motor out of a Ford or Chrysler generator!"

It's really fascinating to look at. Some stuff is no different from today, like "learn at home on your time!." Other stuff is totally foreign. [censored] is Prussian Blue, and why would you dispense it in your workshop? I had to look it up, and it's some kind of pigment, apparently used at one time as a marking compound. Now, any kind of marking compound would be an unusual find in a residential garage/workshop/basement.

The tobacco ads are the strangest thing. Describing it as an energy booster, and providing "vim," whatever that is. I guess if it makes you feel good right now, it couldn't possibly be bad for you!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

The tobacco ads are the strangest thing. Describing it as an energy booster, and providing "vim," whatever that is. I guess if it makes you feel good right now, it couldn't possibly be bad for you!

The tobacco companies used energy as one way to pitch their product, and weight loss as another. Cigarette smoking does depress the appetite, I believe. So they'd pitch to women especially: "Reach for a Lucky instead of a sweet!"

Oh, and have a look at the automobile article beginning on 344: "New Cars Combine Comfort and Safety." Nix on the horsepower; the companies are providing better brakes and softer springs -- and Reo, Nash, and Studebaker are mentioned as current companies.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Oh, and have a look at the automobile article beginning on 344: "New Cars Combine Comfort and Safety." Nix on the horsepower; the companies are providing better brakes and softer springs -- and Reo, Nash, and Studebaker are mentioned as current companies.

Horsepower was out there in 1935, but it was not exactly affordable.

http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/1935_cord_model_810_812/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back