The ignore feature.

You see a blurb about poster being ignored. It is funny that over 20+ years and many different boards, I had to come here to find the one and only person who has earned the right to be ignored by me. I speculate I am not the only one that ignores him. K

You can usually tell if being ignored if someone doesn't reply to you etc.

That said.. though each person can decide, and some people ignore list is a mile long, I don't think it is necessary to use.

Just read, view post, move on.

As to "Liking" threads... happens a lot. Topic of post is sad... a "Like" means "Agrees with" (whether topic is sad or not or agrees with what is said) although you could also not click like out of respect too. Choice is to the individual.

But, it's not like we are naming who we ignore so, it is just another part of board life etc. And this one is better than all the rest.

Was there an issue with ignore feature?

A useful feature would be a counter under each avatar displaying the number people ignoring this person. Then we could make it a competition AND at the same time each one of us can know how many people are ignoring us, and straighten up and fly right. I mean if you don't know you are being ignored, a squelch worthy poster may just continue posting. I mean it is about thinning the herd, right?

OK OK I kid, I kid. I don't ignore anyone on any board.

Last edited:
A useful feature would be a counter under each avatar displaying the number people ignoring this person. Then we could make it a competition AND at the same time each one of us can know how many people are ignoring us, and straighten up and fly right. I mean if you don't know you are being ignored, a squelch worth poster may just continue posting. I mean it is about thinning the herd, right?

There's a difference between using ignore as a "zing" and using it because you genuinely don't want to see what someone posts.

Usually, if as a "zing" or a snipe, one would announce WHO they are ignoring, for all to see. Smug, if you will. Possibly even gets into harassment etc.

Actual, bona fide use of ignore would be if someone felt not seeing posts would make them feel better somehow.

I don't use it, either, (and you usually know how and when you piss someone off, whether it happens ALL THE TIME is another story) and it's cyclical.

Me, personally?

No filters
View post
Respond or don't (respond if it needs a response)
Move on.

Crickets.......just me I guess. In before lock.

A useful feature would be a counter under each avatar displaying the number people ignoring this person. Then we could make it a competition AND at the same time each one of us can know how many people are ignoring us, and straighten up and fly right. I mean if you don't know you are being ignored, a squelch worthy poster may just continue posting. I mean it is about thinning the herd, right?

A competition is a good idea, like a badge of honor.

You know, winners and losers.

Agree with the others on the reason for using the "ignore" feature.
Some people just annoy me with their posts.
In the real world, If I saw this person, I would avoid them.
The ignore feature does that here for me.
If I get tired of reading posts by a person I feel is an idiot/troll/whatever, I hit ignore, and don't have to read their blather anymore.
I don't see their posts, but do see when someone has quoted them (but not the content of that quote).
I do occasionally click on the hidden content, and suddenly remember why they are on ignore.
I had to look up how many people I have on ignore, and it is 4, one of which is apparently no longer a member (says "Oops, we ran into some problems").

I had to look up how many people I have on ignore, and it is 4, one of which is apparently no longer a member (says "Oops, we ran into some problems").
Maybe that's a good way to determine if someone's been permanently banned.

Seems sort of trollish bullyish censorship targeted to me. Why complicate what is simple to do? Ignoring people on a forum is much easier than if they get in your face in real life. It also saves time. Why muck up a a web forum any more than necessary? Less is more.

I don't see their posts, but do see when someone has quoted them (but not the content of that quote).
The OP mentioned that they still see an ignored member's posts when they get quoted but as you point out, that shouldn't happen either. Every post is an entry in the giant database that the site runs from and even when quoted, it can maintain that reference and "ignore" it like a regular quote.

Seems sort of trollish bullyish censorship targeted to me. Why complicate what is simple to do? Ignoring people on a forum is much easier than if they get in your face in real life. It also saves time. Why muck up a a web forum any more than necessary? Less is more.
I hope you know my post was tongue in cheek. I was kidding.

Again, to block someone, for me at least would mean a poster would be out of bounds, breaking the rules, so the ban hammer would be coming soon I should hope. So yes, less is more.

Unfortunately I have to use the ignore button more often these days. A lot of responses and replies from members have become more targeted and hostile. In general that has also happened on other forms of social media.

Unfortunately I have to use the ignore button more often these days. A lot of responses and replies from members have become more targeted and hostile. In general that has also happened on other forms of social media.

Some posters make their little "zings," you'd think sometimes people would be adults and not little children.

If you don't give a fire oxygen it won't burn.

I just used the ignore feature … went from a covered screen to only this one post

725CEC8C-7064-4716-BCD5-C3D275EC0AA6.png

Back