The ignore feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never felt the need to use the ignore feature. As a grown up, I'm smart enough to only read the post I want to, and I'm mature enough to not let something written on the internet get me upset. There are posters that I don't agree with very often, but I still want to see their opinions. Even the trolls offer some entertainment. Why do people use it?

Is there a post here? I can't see it.

Someone let me know, please.

j/k
smile.gif
I've never used it, but there is a couple...

I hope that I am not one of the posters that other members setup the ignore feature on. Sorry if I am and I would certainly change is need be!

I do use the ignore feature for a couple of members! These members pick apart everything I write and I could personally go on about what I think of them but, I won't. And to my knowledge, I have never attacked them!

I think I've used ignore, but on other sites where the emphasis was more on debate/banter. Here I haven't seen the need to do so.

It comes down to a few bad apples spoils the bunch but I like seeing that most people are genuine and come here for advice and to learn.

I like the ignore feature, it lets me not see posts from certain people who are basically just trolling. That way I 100% don't feed the trolls
smile.gif

I appreciate this thread, being that I am a newb and came here to learn.

So i am not using the ignore feature because primarily I need to learn about different views. There is well learning in knowing all points of views for myself. I am also learning from all the more experienced members here on how to spot the trolls. Had one the day before yesterday, so thanks to all those experienced members who don't use ignore function and help the newer members with good intentions to spot those so that i don't fall in to the trap and feed them.

However, I can understand for those of you who have been here for a long time in wanting to use the ignore function.

If i cross the line at any time, please let me know and don't hesitate to send me message, either way thanks.

Last edited:
What is this thread about? I'm sorry, I can't see anything anyone has written. I must have turned on the "ignore all" feature.
grin2.gif

I don't use it and don't plan on using it.

Sure, there are people I disagree with on here. But, at the end of day, I respect their views and like the OP mentioned I want to see their opinion. Maybe it'll make me re-think mine, who knows!

I've never used it on this board. The few times I've used it elsewhere, it doesn't really help because tons of people that I'm not ignoring keep responding to the twit I AM ignoring. It kinda snowballs from there.

Seriously,it pretty quickly gets to the point where I can tell from the screen name who is probably posting something just to get under other peoples' skin... its easy enough to bounce over those posts.

I've used the ignore feature here, but....

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
...it doesn't really help because tons of people that I'm not ignoring keep responding to the twit I AM ignoring. It kinda snowballs from there.

Seriously,it pretty quickly gets to the point where I can tell from the screen name who is probably posting something just to get under other peoples' skin... its easy enough to bounce over those posts.

^ This is pretty much my experience.

Best thing to do in any Internet discussion: Keep track of your goals. Sometimes you'll have an urge to respond, and sometimes it'll serve your purpose to respond. Those are two VERY different things.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What is this thread about? I'm sorry, I can't see anything anyone has written. I must have turned on the "ignore all" feature.
grin2.gif

I have never used it because every once in a while I need a good laugh.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
I think I've used ignore, but on other sites where the emphasis was more on debate/banter. Here I haven't seen the need to do so.

Some people on other sites are just jerks. Period.

Here, I see everyone acting like adults, little to no trolling, and I love it.

Other sites or boards sometimes make you want to jump through the screen, just to see what manner of human can be so either antagonistic, confrontational, offensive, or delusional.

I don't bother with the feature, because I only log in when I want to respond to a thread.

There is a certain mindset of some people, who just like to argue, even if they do not believe in what they are arguing about.

On another forum I strongly disagreed with somebodys assertions, as I had the tools and data to prove him incorrect. But he never backed down and quoted parts of my individual sentences to misrepresent what i typed, just to try and make me look like an Idjit.

A few months passed and then I see him giving advice using practically my own words which was in complete contradiction with what he was espousing in the thread of a few months prior.

I decided to just leave that forum and let the poor people there deal with his advice.

I have misanthropic tendencies and some people just fire them up further, and negative thoughts do me no good, So I avoid.

I don't understand what some people find so amusing about irritating other people, What type of personality disorder it would fall under. Nothing to be done except ignore these types and avoid them if at all possible in day to day living.

One of the reasons I moved from NJ is the vast numbers of people who enjoy being antagonistic, just because they find it amusing.

I used it a few times, although keeping up with one member's various user names is a bit of a chore. I'll bet my name made a few members ignore lists too. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back