The Hemi in the new Chrysler 300C gets 5w20!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just over at the Allpar site reading up on the newest version of the Chrysler Hemi that was introduced in Dodge trucks a couple of years ago. For 2005 model year cars and trucks, the Hemi will come with 5w20 as factory fill. The 3.7 V6 and 4.7 V8 will come with 5w20 also. No word on the 3.5 V6 (same engine that is in my 300M) and the 2.7 V6 yet.

Not a big shock. Chrysler is wedging this gas pig of a hemi in every model and then they have to answer to CAFE,CAFE,CAFE.

I'm not surprised. My wife and I were discussing gas prices the other day and we both came to the conclusion that gas prices in America obviously are not too high since so many people remain willing to buy these V8 SUV's and trucks.

From what I'm hearing, the current hemis like 10W-30 a whole lot. I doubt that they are changing tolerances, so it comes down to the fact that Dodge is jamming these gas pigs into many of their vehicles and then they have to answer to CAFE, CAFE, CAFE.

They're putting in the displacement thingy (forgot the name of it) that shuts off 4 of the 8 cylinders when cruising at highway speeds to save gas.

Dodge Magnum, 300C, Ram, Durango....what else can we put this pentaroom (hemi) engine into to market? Hmmmm, I suppose no one notices that it's a 5.7 that is tuned to run on 89 octane and that's the real reason it makes so much hp.

With the results we are seeing with the 20wts, why not. There is a strong arguement that a well made thin oils are better for protection. Better additives, flow and heat transfer are some of the things they seem to offer. Again, if the engine is designed for it, I have no problem with using 20wts. Thick oils are a thing of the past for most daily driver cars today. The only people that still think you need a thick 50wt oil are those that are THICK headed.

It would be soooooooo interesting to see 2 exact formula oils (with the exception of 100°C vis) compared, one a nominal center 5W-20, the other a 5W-30......but even a study like this would be difficult.

To say that even I would not be tempted to put a XW-30 in a new hemi would be a lie. In fact I'm so thick headed, if I just scored a new Hemi car/truck...I would run a 30 for sure.......NOTHING scientific at all, pure prejudice, but at least I'll admit it!

The CAFE schtik (sp?) is getting sooooooooo boring. Yes, 5W-20 is being used for better MPG. but SO WHAT? What is wrong with that? They have shown to be very good oils, and in the instances where they are recommended, have as far as I have read, performed well. That being the case, all you 5w-20 haters give it ia rest. Thin oils, like thin women are here to stay!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ron Jeremy:
From what I'm hearing, the current hemis like 10W-30 a whole lot.

Please enlighten us. Where are you hearing this from? How is it being determined that these engines "like" 10w30?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

From what I'm hearing, the current hemis like 10W-30 a whole lot.

Please enlighten us. Where are you hearing this from? How is it being determined that these engines "like" 10w30?

Anecdotal, G-Man. I know of 2 owners that had less useage with 10W-30 and I've been told that 10W-30 is speced for this engine in hottter climes. My point is that there is some evidence, IMHO, that these high compression engines are well suited to XW-30. I look very forward to some 20wt. UOA's. Not saying that XW-20 woouldn't "work" (although you wouldn't catch me using it), but there is no doubt in my mind that this change is motivated by CAFE. Look at the size and collective displacement of Chrysler's line and you can see where they had to make this move. I strongly doubt that there is ANY technical advantage to the owner other than the miniscule MPG gain that would bolster Chryslers CAFE ratings.

quote:

Not a big shock. Chrysler is wedging this gas pig of a hemi in every model and then they have to answer to CAFE,CAFE,CAFE.

Ron,

While it is eminently logical that CAFE could fit into this "situation," we don't KNOW that is the reason. This site should be a place where new lubrication technology is embraced and accepted...can anyone prove that 0W/5W20 oils are not THAT GOOD? I admit the auto manufacturers have not been high on the consumer confidence scale but do you really think that Chrysler wants to foot the bill for 1000's of dead hemis?

Not much.

The Hemi (pentaroof) is a 5.7L. Big deal, how can you not get 345 hp out of a engine that large? To even help it out they tuned it at 89 octane instead of 87 like most. In the old days the hemis flowed pretty well and that's why they made more power. Of course emissions were an issue. Also the spark plugs being in the center on the top helps for a good even combustion.

Ron, I don't know who told you these were high compression engines, but they're wrong. I'm pretty sure it's 9.6:1.

It's all marketing and people go nuts for it.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
While it is eminently logical that CAFE could fit into this "situation," we don't KNOW that is the reason. This site should be a place where new lubrication technology is embraced and accepted...can anyone prove that 0W/5W20 oils are not THAT GOOD? I admit the auto manufacturers have not been high on the consumer confidence scale but do you really think that Chrysler wants to foot the bill for 1000's of dead hemis?
As far as embracing technology, I can assure you that I'm no luddite. I'd wager that my 20 year old lawn mower sees better oil than 97% of the cars of the road. I can't prove that XW-20 oils are not THAT GOOD, but this site will get to the bottom of this in the years to come. I just find it curious that trucks and SUVs get bigger and bigger and gas pigs like the hemi become popular and 5W-20 comes along and it is accepted by some as superior technology and something that is beneficial to the life of our engines. I'm sceptical. As far as dead hemi's, I doubt we'll see that but we shall see how the wear numbers look. I think the automakers find that it works adequately so they will go with that because their CAFE numbers mean more to them than cumulative wear numbers.

Those Hemis may be RATED at 345hp, but only are putting down 245 or so to the rear wheels on the Rams at least. I dunno about the Durango or this car, but its still probably pretty bad. Hemi gets all the press because (in manly voice) "Its a hemi." I shake my head whenever someone raves about a hemi. The Nissan Endurance V8 in the Titan is the one to rave about. Rated at 305 hp and putting down 250+. Thats where the numbers talk.

The Hemi ads are way overblown and it's pure and simple marketing. I don't think the new 5.7L even uses a true hemispherical shape combustion chmaber either. I'm at least glad DC brought out a stronger motor than the 5.9L which was a complete embarassment! 5.9L detuned V8 with 260 Horses! I prefer the 5.7L LS1. My 02 Camaro SS was rated at 345HP @ 350TQ but put 315 rwhp @ 326 rwtq to the wheels. Using a 12% 6 Speed Drivetrain loss that means 378 flywheel HP @ 391 torque.

quote:

Originally posted by darkdan:

Ron, I don't know who told you these were high compression engines, but they're wrong. I'm pretty sure it's 9.6:1.

It's all marketing and people go nuts for it.

DarkDan,

I was told this by a proud hemi owner, but I will defer to your knowledge on this.
smile.gif

Chrysler is searching around for some kind of a compelling marketing identity and hit on the idea of reviving the hemi name of old. In the 1950s and 1960s a hemispherical combustion chamber with the spark in the middle was an exotic configuration. Of course Jaguar straight 6s had such a design since post WWII as did some other euro engines.

Technology has, however, moved on and there is not really anything superior about Chrysler's latest hemi incarnation as compared to the best of other modern V-8s.

It is just marketing BS IMO.

John

Right on, JTHorner. I posted a reply a while back trying to debunk the ad hype about the 'new hemi' and was met with much uninformed scepticism.

As I recall, Zora Arkus-Duntov built the first hemi head to get some hp from flathead Fords, which basically had the combustion chambers in the blocks. I think he was able to get something like 300 hp from those early engines.

Chrysler 'borrowed' the head design for their hemi engines of the 50s. As far as their 'legendary reputation' goes, the engines were mediocre in performance because the hemi head didn't allow for much compression ratio. The real strength of the engine, in my opinion, was that the low compression made it easy to supercharge, with great results. Those were hot engines, but the production versions never showed much promise.

The engine was redesigned in the mid 60s, still not much of an engine. Reliability in standard configuration was subpar, and trying to make a performer from this engine was impossible mainly because the thing had pushrods as long as your arm, and revving it one rpm above seven thousand would leave parts all up and down the street.

The 'new hemi', as it is advertsed, is a wedge design kind of twisted sideways. It is still mediocre in performance, but seems to be even less reliable than the 'legendary' engines of the past. I would stop short of calling it junk..well, maybe not... but DC's marketing plan to sell the line, especially the trucks, to the 'supermacho' guy set seems to be working. The buyers in this area seem to always have gun racks in their rear windows, and wear a lot of camouflage.

As far as head designs go, the BB Chevy is the gold standard, and some of the SB Chevy aftermarket heads, when tweaked, are as good as anything out there. The small block, coming out after the 409s, made a quantum leap-the valves were angled to be more parallel with the intake flow, avoiding a right-angle turn going into the combustion chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back