The green is quiet in 22RE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished the rinse cycle on a friends 2000 22RE and loaded it with the green.

We fired it up and Robert was smiling big time when he came out of the cab.

We had meant to take a before and after reading with a noise level meter but after warming it up we neglected the *prior* meaurement so this is just by ear.

It it is running very quiet by comparison to the rinse oil and the prior normal load of 10-40 before the A-RX and rinse oil.

Yep, no real measured results, maybe next time...

I'm not surprised that GC has made your engine quieter, because it does the same thing to my Nissan VQ. However, there will be skeptics out there who will demand absolute proof. They haven't accepted people's subjective opinions in the past.
I had thought about recording my engine running with a non-GC 5w30, then with GC and posting the files. However, I only have access to standard tape recorders, and I'm not sure if they are sensitive enough to be able to record the differences in sounds (I'm not an audio expert by a long shot). And even if I did get recordings that sounded different, some of the skeptics would attack the experiment by saying it was rigged or full of errors. So to me, it's not worth the hassle. I'm quite content in knowing my engine is quieter and smoother with GC.
Having said that, it would be interesting if someone with the technical know-how could get good recordings showing the differences. But I honestly don't have the audio knowledge or equipment necessary to do it.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Actually you can get a reasonable noise level meter at Radio Shack for < $40.00 as I recall.

I did measure the wifes Camry both before and after switching from Chevron to GC green and recorded a 2 dB difference. It's simple to do. Place the meter on a camera tri-pod and record the level with the old oil. Change the oil and measure again.

Two dB doesn't sound like much, but consider that a three dB reduction in noise would be half. John

John,

I might do that if not just to satisfy my own curiosity. If the recordings come out decent, I'll try to post them on here for others.
When I had switched to GC from GTX 5w30, even my wife asked me what I had done to the car because it seemed quieter. She didn't know I had changed the oil or anything. If my wife noticed, there must be a good difference!
There are numerous posts about Nissan VQ's liking heavier 30 weights. In Europe, up to a 50 wt is even recommended. When I used Mobil 1 5w30 (the older SuperSyn formula, about 10cst or so), the engine was very loud. GTX quieted it some, and GC is very smooth and quiet. It makes sense, because GC is a thicker 30 wt than the other two.
I'm in the rinse phase of an AutoRx run now. Based on what this filter looks like, I may or may not do another AutoRx cycle. But when I'm done with all the cleaning, GC is going back in. I have 3 OCI's stashed so far. And I've got the wife trained to pick some up anytime she's near AutoZone and they have it in stock. She actually bought me a case last time she was there because she was impressed with the quietness.

Dave

Dave,

That makes sence to me. I'll be looking forward to your findings.

Speedtc, yes the GC is thicker. On Bob's 22RE he had been running Penz 20-50 and that wasn't as quiet as the GC. Is the Penz thicker still than the GC. I imagine it is, so it isn't just the thickness as far as I can see. Maybe I'm missing something though. John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back